tune of the yr.....

Craig

Tune of the year? I've gotta be honest, I think this year has been the worst for Trance since I started DJ'ing. There's very little around at the moment that appeals to me. I honestly can't pick one tune that I feel has stood out so far this year. I've bought lots of good tunes - but nothing that has made me though "Wow, what a tune".

Tune of the year? I've gotta be honest, I think this year has been the worst for Trance since I started DJ'ing. There's very little around at the moment that appeals to me. I honestly can't pick one tune that I feel has stood out so far this year. I've bought lots of good tunes - but nothing that has made me though "Wow, what a tune".

I concur. This year my sound has drastically changed. I used to be all for the more euphoric trance sound. This year i've been playing a lot more house/electro. The sort of stuff Pete Tong plays in his final 30 minute mix.

I concur. This year my sound has drastically changed. I used to be all for the more euphoric trance sound. This year i've been playing a lot more house/electro. The sort of stuff Pete Tong plays in his final 30 minute mix.

I've moved more towards Tech-Trance. I used to be all for the Euphoric stuff mainly, then I started playing a variety of stuff around 2002 onwards, but over the last couple of years, Tech-Trance and Hard Trance has definately become my thing - it brings the best out of me as a DJ too. My hard sets are always really good, whereas my more Trancier sets are a bit crap.

I was a very strong euphoric DJ in my earlier days, the euphoric sound has been overtaken this year by a lot of techier sounds. Problem is with me being so young what I grow up with will be my preferred style in years to come, but with it changing all around us so much its going to be pretty awkward to have 'your own style' ... just like what is being debated in the other thread about Jules not having a concrete style anymore.

Tough to choose just one from this year, contrastingly to Briggsy I think this has been another excellent year for great quality music.

My favourite would be one of...

Pryda 'Pjanoo' - Simply for the reaction its got when I've played it out

Morgan Page 'Longest Road' (Deadmau5 Remix) - as above & also it prompted a sing-a-long in Plymouth which was magic

Erick Dere 'Sign' - the undiscovered gem of the year, have seen no-one else play it yet it's immense

Loads more that have rocked it for me this year, I think progressive in general has been as good as it has for years in '08

Tough to choose just one from this year, contrastingly to Briggsy I think this has been another excellent year for great quality music.
Loads more that have rocked it for me this year, I think progressive in general has been as good as it has for years in '08

Yeah, I think that's the big difference. Prog has become really strong over the last 12-18 months - possibly because Markus Schulz has suddenly shot up in people's estimations too. Even I like Markus Schulz, which is unusual considering most of the stuff I like has to be quite boshy these days - although i'd still not really class Markus as an out-and-out Prog DJ. A lot of his sets do have techy elements to them.

Outside of Prog though, I think Trance and Tech-Trance has been very weak. Everyone is too busy trying to copy the Deadmau5, Above & Beyond, or Sander van Doorn sounds, and the scene is becoming saturated with it.

We need producers to bring some fresh ideas forward again.

Yeah, I think that's the big difference. Prog has become really strong over the last 12-18 months - possibly because Markus Schulz has suddenly shot up in people's estimations too. Even I like Markus Schulz, which is unusual considering most of the stuff I like has to be quite boshy these days - although i'd still not really class Markus as an out-and-out Prog DJ. A lot of his sets do have techy elements to them.

Outside of Prog though, I think Trance and Tech-Trance has been very weak. Everyone is too busy trying to copy the Deadmau5, Above & Beyond, or Sander van Doorn sounds, and the scene is becoming saturated with it.

We need producers to bring some fresh ideas forward again.

Schulz has been my favourite DJ for about four years or so now, I think he's continued to play across the board which is nice, but has always made sure his sets have a progressive vibe to them. DJs such as Niklas Harding, Andrew Bennett, Chris Salt & alike have really been outstanding for me

Favourite producers for me this year so far would be along the lines of,

Jerome Isma-ae (consistently over the last 3 yrs excellent)

Mark Mendes

Sultan & Ned Sheperd

Deadmau5

The Blizzard

Gareth Emery

Edited by TomBailey

• 1 month later...