Sied Van Riel

DJ Remy

Room 2 - Hosted by Elecrtrik Playground

Riley & Durrant

Adam Sheridan

Hauswerks

Mark Maitland

VIP - Hosted by Hang the DJ

DJs from Sheffield and beyond push the boundaries of music as we know it to bring you an interactive show case of the finest Electro, New Wave, Glitch, Electro Clash, House, Techno, Punk, Pop, Breaks and More...

Tickets & Information

£18.50 + bf (Early Bird)

£23.50 + bf (Standard)

£32.50 + bf VIP (Limited)

Carling Academy Sheffield

37-43 Arundel Gate

Sheffield S1 2PN

www.gatecrasher.com

08704 282 726

I wouldnt mind going to this at all, I planned on going to Gatecrasher One last year until it burnt down. My brother lived around the corner so it was not too inconvenient to organise. I still await to lose my clubbing virginity, and this would be a great way to lose it!

• 2 weeks later...

Coach info for Gatecrasher's 15th Birthday @ The Carling Academy, Sheffield

All North East Travel:

Stepys Coaches Ltd

Stepys.co.uk

0191 526 7241

07801 108 395

All Other Major UK Cities: Eventz Travel

Eventztravel.co.uk

07779 232854

Eventz travel Coaches are running with pick up points from:

Yorkshire / East Yorkshire

Leeds

Bradford

Halifax

Barnsley

Chesterfield

Doncaster

Rotherham

North West

Liverpool

Manchester

Warrington

Bolton

Preston

Burnley

Blackburn

West & East Midlands

Birmingham

Leicester

Nottingham

Loughborough

Derby

Coventry

Hinkley

Stoke-on-Trent

Newcastle-under-Lyme

London / Home Counties

London

Watford

Luton

Northampton

Milton Keynes

Reading

Humberside / Lincolnshire

Hull

Grimsby

Sc***horpe

Lincoln

Norfolk/ Suffolk / East Anglia

Norwich

Ipswich

Great Yarmouth

Cambridge

Peterborough

West Country / Wales

Bristol

Swindon

Gloucester

Cheltenham

Taunton

Bridgwater

Exeter

Plymouth

Truro

Cardiff

Swansea

Bridgend

Newport

Great to see Remy playing on that lineup, world class DJ & definately worth checking out

Yeah I quite like Remy. Saw him three times now. The first two times he was awesome - and those were warm-up sets. He had a stinker at Turnmills though - he didn't play his usual style. It was more like Tech-House :(

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

“Gatecrasher is the mother of all trance clubs. It's one of the first places on earth where trance got big. They have an extremely loyal following and still manage to create such an amazing vibe every time”

Gatecrasher catch up with the world¹s #1 DJ, Armin Van Buuren ahead of his set at their 15th Birthday party.

GC: You were recently voted the DJ Mag¹s #1 DJ in the world, after being in the top 10 for the past 6 years. How does it feel to finally reach the #1 spot?

AVB: What can I say? It was a dream coming true. The biggest honour you can get as a DJ. Like winning an oscar when you've been making movies all your life.

It simply doesn't get any bigger than that!

GC: Your album ’Imagine¹ recently secured the number one spot in the Dutch charts, which is the first time that a dance producer has accomplished this. Can you tell us a bit about the album and what went into the making of it?

AVB: I just feel an artist album is something different than a mixed compilation. I heard a lot of albums of colleagues of mine and I was always a bit let down because it was basically just a collection of their released 12". An album in my definition has several different chapters, like stories in a book. It's something that you can put on at home when you're relaxing and something with songs. I sometimes just sing myself, completely rubbish over an instrumental. That's how you can get ideas for melodies of a lyric. There's never a standard way of creating new tracks. Every track came about in a different way. I like that it prevents your music from becoming formulaic. My English is pretty good so I have no problem writing lyrics. I wrote about 20 tracks, sometimes even 2 or 3 tracks with one artist but then we came to the point of selecting the tracks for the album and I just found these tracks had a certain flow together. In the end, all that matters for me is the music and the song, not who it's sung by.

GC: You also DJ on your own weekly radio show, A State of Trance. Can you tell us a bit about this show?

AVB: I started the show in June 2001 when there was no radio show that basically just played the latest in trance and progressive in a two hour non stop mix. I'm now at episode 363 and the show is now on over 40 FM and online stations around the world, reaching over 10 million people every week. When you listen to ASOT, you're sure you'll hear at least 80 or 90% of all that's hot and new.

GC: With such a hectic schedule, how does Armin Van Buuren unwind and relax?

AVB: Spending time with friends and family, watching movies, working out, and when i get the chance I love to go diving.

GC: What¹s your favourite track to play and which is your favourite to listen to in your own time?

AVB: L.S.G. - Netherworld. I listen to a lot of different music when I have time off. I love the Orb, Biosphere, Future Sound of London etc

GC: What piece of advice would you give to any DJ aspiring to be the next AVB?

AVB: A) Make your own tracks. It's the quickest way to the top

B) Be unique. Look at other DJ's and learn from them but don't copy.

GC: Which DJs do you predict to be hot for 2008 /09?

AVB: Blake Jarrell, Aly & Fila

GC: You have played for Gatecrasher quite a few times, most recently at GatecrasherLovesNottingham and before that at one of our legendary Boxing Day event at Magna. You will be back to headline their 15th Birthday Event back in their spiritual home of Sheffield. Why do you think Gatecrasher have continued to be successful after so many years?

AVB: A lot has to do with the fact that Gatecrasher is the mother of all trance clubs. It's one of the first places on earth where trance got big. They have an extremely loyal following and still manage to create such an amazing vibe every time.

GC: What can the Gatecrasher crowd expect from you at the 15th Birthday event?

AVB: A journey through the latest in trance and progressive. I look at the crowd and then decide. It can go anywhere from banging to uplifting, from electro to classics. It depends on the vibe.

GC: What is Armin Van Buuren up to for the rest of 2008 and moving into the New Year?

AVB: New compilation (ASOT 2008), new single (In and out of Love), new DVD (Armin Only 2008, new Armin Only's (Poland, Belgium and Los Angeles). Plus, I've build a new studio and I'm moving houses.

"3 Hours of Massive Energy" From Ferry Corsten at Gatecrasher's 15th Birthday back in Sheffield

JanineGC Gatecrasher catch up Ferry Corsten, ahead of his 3 hour set at the Gatecrasher 15th Birthday event, at their spiritual home in Sheffield.

GC: Described as the ?architect, pioneer and instigator? of trance, what are your thoughts on the scene as a whole?

Ferry: Trance has come a long way since it?s heyday in the late nineties. It has gone through a phase of progressive, harder , electro and it looks like it?s slowly going back to it roots. In my opinion, if done right, trance is the most innovative music genre out there.

GC: With numerous Dutch Gold awards and UK Top 40 hits for your productions, which are you more, a DJ or a Producer?

Ferry: -In the beginning, I used to say that I was more of a producer than a DJ. I was lucky to break into the scene through the success of my own music productions in the late nineties. However, due to that success, I was able to release a number of compilations called Trance Nation with Ministry of Sound which kicked off my career as a DJ. After all these years, I would say that I am definitely both? a producer and a DJ. I spend just as much time (sometimes even more due to travelling ) DJing as I have sitting in the studio late at night to finish a track. The difference nowadays, is that I work on my productions a lot on the road as I do not have the luxury to wait to get home to start on a track.

GC: With such a hectic schedule, how does Ferry Corsten unwind and relax?

Ferry: When you?re really busy, you really get to enjoy the simple things in life. I am so happy when I get to come home, hang in my own couch, sleep in my own bed, and eat a great home cooked meal.

GC: What is your current top 5?

Ferry: 1. Masters & Nickson ft. Justine Suissa - 5Th Dimension (Daniel Kandi Bangin' Mix)

2. Off Key - Showdown (Ali Wilson & Scott Attrill Remix)

3. Re:Locate & Menno de Jong ? Spirit (Paul Miller 2008 Rework)

4. Embrace ? Embrace (Ferry Fix)

5. Solarstone - 4Ever

GC: What piece of advice would you give to any DJ aspiring to be the next Ferry Corsten?

Ferry: I always tell people to trust themselves and to follow their own path. You can be successful in copying other people but you can have success and earn a lot more respect if you do things in your own unique way.

GC: Which DJs do you predict to be hot for 2008 /09?

Ferry: I?ve been pretty impressed with the last productions and DJ sets of Bart Claessen. He?s been putting out some real powerful productions and remixes. Casey Keyworth ?Breakfast? has been travelling with me on a couple of tours now and I?m very impressed with his DJ skills and of course his productions.

GC: You have played for Gatecrasher on numerous occasions, most recently at the Gatecrasher Resurrection at Magna in March. You will be back to headline their 15th Birthday Event back in their spiritual home of Sheffield. Why do you think Gatecrasher have continued to be successful after so many years?

Ferry: Gatecrasher has continued to be successful after so many years because they have managed to work with the times. Whereas a lot of brands have fallen off the map or are struggling to keep up with the way big shows are produced nowadays, Gatecrasher has persevered.

GC: You have always had a special relationship with the crowd at Gatecrasher. What makes it so aspecial?

Ferry: I guess because Gatecrasher was one of those clubs that helped make trance music the success . it is today. I was looking at a Gatecrasher Classic CD a few months back and saw how many of my production contributed to that classic CD.

GC: What can the Gatecrasher crowd expect from you at the 15th Birthday event?

Ferry: 3 hours of massive energy.

GC: What is Ferry Corsten up to for the rest of 2008 and moving into the New Year?

Ferry: Ferry is working very hard to finish his latest artist album taking a bit of time off after that to enjoy some important things in life ;)

“What Can the Gatecrasher crowd expect from you?” “Expect a lot of new and bangin’ stuff for Riel”

Tipped by Tiesto as “the hottest producer around” and by DJ magazine as “the next big thing to hit trance”, Gatecrasher catch up Sied Van Riel, ahead of his set at the Gatecrasher 15th Birthday event, at their spiritual home in Sheffield.

GC: Being tipped by DJ magazine as “the next big thing to hit trance”. Who are your inspirations?

SVR: Well i think it is more WHAT is my inspiration. I try not to get influenced by other music to much as that kind of prevents me from creating a real own thing.

Then you'll most likely imitate stuff or use simular technics to much .... not something i prefer.

I do use certain music to get in to the mood in the studio.. alot of 70s / 80s /90s music. Those tracks from the 80s have these massive vibes to them.. like riel well engineered ... After i am in the mood to make some music i try to reflect my thaughts and experiences in to the music i'm making.... So basicaly at the end of the day you'd have my thaughts sounding as music.. pretty cool when i think of it haa..

GC: What are your thoughts on the trance scene as a whole?

SVR: I am loving it. All of it. I do think we should get a couple of million more people from each country into it , that would be ace !but other then that I have no bad words about it at all.

The scene is getting bigger and bigger and the music is also evolving which is a good thing if you ask me ! I don't like to limit myself to one genre or one style.

GC: What is your favourite track to play and which is your favourite to listen to in your own time?

SVR: Mmmmm... i'd have to single one track out which is always hard.. but i would say.. Sander van Doorn's Apple. Not only because i like fruit but this track just does it for me at the moment. In my own time you would find me listening to alot of EDM in general .. sorting out promo's but when i wanna relax and sit back i'll listen to The Doors,Nirvana, Pet Shop Boys, alot of 80s music like Simply Red, Simple Minds, U2 etc etc... a favorite would be " Come as you are" by Nirvana... amongst alot of others !!

GC: As the latest graduate to join trance music’s elite ‘Van Clan’, is the secret to success all in the name? What advice would you give to any budding DJs?

SVR: Well we all wished it was all in the name haha.. saved alot of people alot of work i think... i do think this "van" thing helps.. don't ask me why i'm not a marketing expert but somehow it just does.So far everything just went by itself.Call it luck or whatever you want...I think it all starts at the artist itself at first.If your tracks get massive support you'll be noticed and if they do well when they are released you'll get noticed even more... The Artists them selves are at the base of of it all.

After that you'll have the whole marketing and pr engine which does alot of the other work around succes i think. Internet is a powerfull tool now a days...

My advice to other budding dj's... stay yourself, do your own thing .. do not copy another artist you look up....and don't make up artists names like Pauly Van Crackengine, or James Van Sigaret... you see alot of that going around these days. There's that "Van" thing again haha. Now that i think of it. Would James Bond be more successfull if it was James Van Bond ? Or would Jack The Ripper have been more scary and more mysterious if it was Jack Van The Ripper ?

GC: Paul van Dyk commented on your track ‘My Dreams’ as having “one unique sound that made it rock!”. How would you describe your sound?

SVR: My sound.. i think it would be, Melodic,Warm,Driving,Percussive, sometimes riel deep but not that deep....a bit uplifitng sometimes but not uplifting as in 140bpm... I shall call it The Riel Sound ?

GC: Gatecrasher will be 15 years old this September. Why do you think Gatecrasher have continued to be successful after so many years?

SVR: Because they finaly booked me haha ;) just kidding there

Gatecrasher is a brand that has been at the top for years, and will be for many more years to come if you ask me. I think at the base you need to have a good team who knows how it all works and who is able to really work together so that once stuff takes place it all comes together. Gatecrasher has it and does it. Alot of dj's from Holland could kill me at this moment to play there in my place (or atleast knock me out)..... I'm riel happy to be part of Gatecrasher .. without a doubt one of the Highlights amongst Trance Energy for me in 2008 !!

GC: It will be your debut for Gatecrasher this September. What can the Gatecrasher crowd expect from you at the 15th Birthday event in Sheffield?

SVR: I promissed i'd make balloon animals at Crasher in September but they told me if i'd come there in my clownsuit for their b-day the bouncers wouldn't let me in....haha...

What can people expect, i'm gonna do my best to rock it over there.. i never make a set before i play.. i always go to the venue before i have to get onstage and taste the atmosphere and see the people and then take it from there.... but expect alot of new and bangin' stuff for riel !!

GC: What is Sied Van Riel up to for the rest of 2008 and moving into the New Year?

SVR: Well so far 2008 has been massive. I travelled to countries such as The Ukraine,Italy,USA,Germany,Turkey,Cyprus,Romania,Oman and what have you....i just returned from an event with Tiesto and the remaining part of 2008 is set to be even more massive... Uk,Norway,Scotland,Slovakia,Romania,Lebanon, an australie festival tour and alot more have recently been added to my agenda... Other then that alot of studio work is planned in between. My new single will be released in October, the remixes i did for Armin van Buuren and Offer Nissim will also be released soon i think... The support on the remix for Offer is getting some insane support btw.. massive !! I'm not yet focussed on 2009 though.. requests are coming in already but it's to early to actually plan it now i think. I'm still enjoying 2008 to much to be focussing on 2009 already. I think we are planning a mix compilation aswell for 2008.. that would be my first... awesome but i'm not rushing things like that.