1997-10-31 - Judge Jules, Essential Selection, Live from Oxford for Soundcity 97

leeruffles

1997-10-31 - Judge Jules, Essential Selection, Live from Oxford for Soundcity 97

View File

BBC Radio 1

Friday, 31st October 1997

Essential Selection

Live from Oxford for Soundcity 97

01. Serious Danger - 'Deeper' [Fresh]

02. Da Hool - 'Meet Her At The Love Parade' (Dextrous Remix) [Bonzai Italy]

03. Soundscape - 'Dubplate Culture' (JDS Remix) [Satellite Records (UK)]

04. BBE - 'Desire' (Full Forces Club Mix) [Positiva]

05. Overcharge - 'Minds Are Changin'' (Wave Captain Remix) [Time Unlimited]

06. Camisra - 'Let Me Show You' [VC Recordings]

07. Brutal Bill Marquez - 'Sweat' (J&B's Mix) [Deeper Rekords NYC]

08. Gisele Jackson - 'Love Commandments' (Loop Da Loop Vocal Mix) [Manifesto]

09. Todd Terry - 'It's Over Love' (Loop Da Loop Mix) [Manifesto]

10. Trevor Reilly - 'Down With The Underground' (Judge Jules Mix Unreleased Mashup) [Manifesto]

11. K Capone - 'Pain' (Club Mix Instrumental) [Urban]

12. The Space Brothers - 'Forgiven (I Feel Your Love)' (Dub Vocal Mix) [Manifesto]

13. Da Hool - 'Bora Bora' [Manifesto]

14. PF Project - 'Choose Life' (JDS Vocal Remix) [Positiva]

15. Paul Janes / Amadeus Mozart - 'Gettin Hot (Un-Tidy Dubs Volume One)' [Untidy Trax]

16. Afrowax 101 - 'English 101' [Respect!]

17. Morel Inc. - 'Are You Ready To Play The Game?' (Morels Groove Mix) [Strictly Rhythm]

18. Lucid - 'I Can't Help Myself' [Delirious]

19. Limited Growth - 'No Fate' (Santini & Stephenson Mix) [Bonzai Trance Progressive / Suck Me Plasma]

20. Energy 52 - 'Cafe Del Mar' (Three 'n One Mix) [Hooj Choons]

21. In Dublo - 'Red Sun' [Flex]

• 3 weeks later...

Hope someone can help with this tracklisting - I've had a go, somewhat unsuccessfully!

There may be more tracks as well, so take this as a rough guide. Wonderful mix though.

P.S. Watch out for the massively scratched track of "No Fate" which is sadly abandoned by Jules (he had no choice!)... before Cafe Del Mar ;)

01. Serious Danger - Deeper

04. Camisra - Let Me Show You (Tall Paul remix)

06. Giselle Jackson - Love Commandments (Loop da Loop Remix)

14. Space Brothers - 'Forgiven' [Polydor]

Not sure i've placed them under the correct Number

Edited by Neuro

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Here's a full tracklist correction :)

01. Serious Danger - 'Deeper' [white label]

02. Da Hool - 'Meet Her At The Love Parade' (Dextrous Remix) [bonzai Italy]

03. Soundscape - 'Dubplate Culture' (JDS Remix) [satellite Records (UK)]

05. Unknown - 'Unknown' [white label]

06. Camisra - 'Let Me Show You' (Tall Paul Mix) [VC Recordings]

07. Unknown - 'Unknown' [white label]

09. Todd Terry presents Shannon - 'It's Over Love' (Loop Da Loop Mix) [Manifesto]

10. Trevor Reilly - 'Down With The Underground' (Judge Jules Mix) [Manifesto]

11. Unknown - 'Unknown' [white label]

12. The Space Brothers - 'Forgiven (I Feel Your Love)' (Dub Vocal Mix) [Manifesto]

13. Unknown - 'Unknown' [white label]

15. Unknown - 'Unknown' [white label]

16. Roadblock - 'The Rules' [white label]

17. Lucid - 'I Can't Help Myself' [Delirious]

18. Limited Growth - 'No Fate' (Santini & Stephenson Remix) [bonzai Trance Progressive]

19. Energy 52 - 'Café Del Mar' (Three'N One Remix) [Hooj Choons]

20. Unknown - 'Unknown' [white label]

Edited by Simcut

• 10 months later...

ok, I just relistened to this set and merged the member created TL with the TL already in the archives. now it's almost complete! :)

only track i'm not sure about is whether it's the 49º South Mix or the JDS Mix of 'Dubplate Culture'.

Simon: are you 100% certain it's indeed the JDS Mix?

• 3 weeks later...

This is a f**king wicked MIX!!!!!!!!!!!!! :thumbsup: Love it, love that mix of Da hool's love parade!!! I WANT THAT ONE! Is it mixed with RIP GROOVE - Doube 99? anyway... and the rest!!! Just wondering why my WMP keeps saying DJ Lottie as well as JJ!!??

I recommend this download to everyone, Jules just as he was starting to get good, unfortunately he does attempt a touch of scratching, but that's just Jules innit!

That Lucid tune WELL takes me back, awesome stuff.

MY GOD! :wub: Even taking a scratched tune in his stride!!

This was actually the month my eldest daughter was born so I was unable to go clubbing at this time at all, but I was using Jules to stay in touch with the tunes, on many a sleepless night!! Cafe del mar on my headphones on the way to work, I remember being so impressed with it!! :) ......totally euphoric first time I'd heard a tune that made me feel that way!!

Times gone by now! ^_^

This is a BIG upload. Cheers to Lee Ruffles. This wuld have been when i bought my first set of decks. I was big into the speed garage type sound that shines through in this mix. I used to like the big basslines and the time stretched vocals so much. I didnt get into Jules until early 99, so had no idea he played this stuff.

Serious Danger "Deeper" is one of my personal favourite records ever - i love it. That bassline is HUUUUUUGE. This is the one track i'd love to hear in a club, but never did. I always thought this was THE speed garage track too, not "Gunman" or "RIPGroove". Whatever happened to Serious Danger? he was remixing everything in 97-98 i seem to recall.

And Camisra, was that really 1997? I thought it was 1998? Thats still a tune. It bangs along real nice. That Trevor Reilly track too, so many good tunes on this mix, which goes to establish what i've said on here previously, 1999 wasnt the best year for dance music, that was simply the year the mainstream "got it". 1997-1998 was the best era, and the mst creative one.

• 2 months later...
  • 7 months later...

Wow excellant!! This contains the Todd Terry track I've been trying to identify for yonks, which indeed lead me to this site. I've tried discogs, manifesto ,you tube but as I'm essentially a novice at this stuff the best I'd come up with was the track listing as you guys have it. Awsome upbeat track and have vivid recollections of some...er..kids..going mental at the 'pre-progress' club -as it was known, a converted church. Great stuff...

Another random fact totally irrevelant to this thread, Todd Terrys Remix of Ibiza In My Soul uses parts from Loop Da Loops Uptown Mix of Todd Terrys-Somethings Going On....

This is one of Jules' best Essential Mixes, captures perfectly his style of the time, superb tune selections.

Update:

01. Serious Danger - 'Deeper' [Fresh]

02. Da Hool - 'Meet Her At The Love Parade' (Dextrous Remix) [bonzai Italy]

03. Soundscape - 'Dubplate Culture' (JDS Remix) [satellite Records (UK)]

05. Overcharge - 'Minds Are Changin'' (Wave Captain Remix) [Time Unlimited]

06. Camisra - 'Let Me Show You' [VC Recordings]

07. Brutal Bill Marquez - 'Sweat' (J&B's Mix) [Deeper Rekords NYC]

09. Todd Terry presents Shannon - 'It's Over Love' (Loop Da Loop Mix) [Manifesto]

10. Trevor Reilly - 'Down With The Underground' (Judge Jules Mix) [Manifesto]

11. K Capone - 'Pain' [urban]

13. Da Hool - 'Bora Bora' [Manifesto]

15. Paul Janes / Amadeus Mozart - 'Gettin Hot (Un-Tidy Dubs Volume One)' [untidy Trax]

16. Afrowax 101 - 'English 101' [Respect!]

17. Morel Inc. - 'Are You Ready To Play The Game?' (Morels Groove Mix)[strictly Rhythm]

18. Lucid - 'I Can't Help Myself' [Delirious]

19. Limited Growth - 'No Fate' (Santini & Stephenson Remix) [bonzai Trance Progressive]

20. Energy 52 - 'Café Del Mar' (Three'N One Remix) [Hooj Choons]

21. Unknown - 'Unknown' [white label]

I'm pretty sure the last track wasn't played by jules but someone after him, its such a odd track and it's brought in quickly not mixed in from energy 52....

• 2 months later...