Jules R1 June 21st

Max Kane

Alright guys, didnt mean to create such a stir with my comment. sorry! :o 'Pointless' was probably a bad word to choose looking back. When making mashups/bootlegs I always try and be as creative as I can, sometimes it works and sometimes it doesnt. If you're not creative with your ideas, then its 'pointless' making them IMO. I agree, I have made one or two that weren't very good, i.e 'Tick Mode'. I'm still unhappy with most of the mashups I made, I just dont think Chaz was very creative with this one, that's just my opinion. He was however, very creative with his 'Operation Blade' one a few months ago as I've played it out and its always got a great reaction!! I am in no way trying to give off the impression that "i'm the only and the best one at making bootlegs" quote from Buuren "(You cant think you the only and the best one) " What gives me the right to think that??? I only criticise the ones that I think jules shouldn't be playing, the same as Briggsy does week in week out!

Edited by KSheehan

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Alright guys, didnt mean to create such a stir with my comment. sorry! :o 'Pointless' was probably a bad word to choose looking back. When making mashups/bootlegs I always try and be as creative as I can, sometimes it works and sometimes it doesnt. If you're not creative with your ideas, then its 'pointless' making them IMO. I agree, I have made one or two that weren't very good, i.e 'Tick Mode'. I'm still unhappy with most of the mashups I made, I just dont think Chaz was very creative with this one, that's just my opinion. He was however, very creative with his 'Operation Blade' one a few months ago as I've played it out and its always got a great reaction!! I am in no way trying to give off the impression that "i'm the only and the best one at making bootlegs" quote from Buuren "(You cant think you the only and the best one) " What gives me the right to think that??? I only criticise the ones that I think jules shouldn't be playing, the same as Briggsy does week in week out!

I know what ya mean ken, i made the home mashup purely cos i already loved the svd bootleg but wanted it more bangin for my energetic sets and thought the breakdown would go down great with the croud :)

I know what ya mean ken, i made the home mashup purely cos i already loved the svd bootleg but wanted it more bangin for my energetic sets and thought the breakdown would go down great with the croud :)

Duuuuuuuuuuuuuude make an edit with the full chorus...you need the singalong factor!

I agree with that to be honest. I felt that it could have been put across better. Perhaps an explanation as to why it was pointless?

K.Sheehan is always very friendly, etc and he's one of the good guys on here, but he does seem to criticise everyone else's bootlegs, which I think is a bit unnecessary because they're not all bad. Most people produce bootlegs as a first step into production, so some constructive criticism would go a long way towards helping them out, rather than knocking their confidence by saying "its pointless". I think most most 'bootleggers' are guilty of producing a pointless bootleg - and to be honest, K.Sheehan is no different (Tick Mode for example).

A hate gettin' involved in online rants, a tend not get involved but Briggsy mate, a can't let this one swim by.....this comment about Ken is a bit rich comin' from you. A think u have had a fair brass neck on ye to comment about him to be honest. A can understand some folk bein' annoyed over Ken's vague description of Chaz's bootleg, as the comment did merit an explanation, which Ken has now apoligized for....fair enough. But as Ken points out, you are constantly guilty of the exact same thing on a regular basis with no evidence of any apologies, so why comment on Ken's wrong doin'??

As the lad Simon ross quite rightly says;

"to hop in and leave such a blunt and vague statement is not even attempting to offer support to those who appreciate it the most."

I agree with the above comment, a find it ignorant to just drop in a vague/harsh statement about a track without a decent explanation, its pure arrogance. Although you seem to agree with this aswell, goin' by your above comment, is this not what you do quite alot of the time? Dropping one word adjectives, vague descriptions to describe tunes you dislike without elaborating & justifying your statement when there are folk on the board who may appreciate the same track which you have just knocked? One example that springs to mind is a wee discussion me & you had a while pack about Jule's 'Best of 2007 show' when you said;

'Briggsy' Dec 23 2007, 12:35 AM

"half of those are average at the most."

A didn't see any, as you say; 'Explanation as to why' half of the tunes were 'average'. A had to get it out of ye first off...a shouldn't need to do that. Comments like that merit an explanation to justify your view. A only had to go to a few other previous posts to find some other belters from yourself mate;

'Briggsy' Jun 9 2008, 12:22 AM

"Another one that was dire was by Digital Deviant (who churns out tones of crap bootlegs)"

'Briggsy' Jun 3 2008, 09:42 PM

"Digital Deviant - he/she has churned out a large percentage of those other ghastly bootlegs that Jules has played."

'Briggsy' May 30 2008, 11:08 PM

"What a crap remix"

If I were to show Tommie aka 'Digital deviant' your plain to see; harsh/vague comments about his material I'm sure he would like you to elaborate on your views. That is just one fine example of you too, coming across quite arrogant & vague in your opinions about tracks where other folk on the board may like the tracks themselves. Although your entitled to your opinion, I get the impression your on your 'high horse' so to speak when commenting on certain tracks...all it takes is a justified explanation & some tact....a bit of respect to the artist. You are a complete hypocrit to comment on Ken, a get the impression that ye have double standards when it comes to certain topics. As shown above you are also guilty of attacking artists, so a think ye should take yer comment back about Ken to be fair....bang out comin' from you matey!

LoL, ye also say;

"think most most 'bootleggers' are guilty of producing a pointless bootleg - and to be honest, K.Sheehan is no different (Tick Mode for example)."

A just seen a topic which u created from a while back when Jules was supporting 'Tick mode'....u were commenting on how much you liked it????? Whats that all about....can't be that 'pointless' then;

'Briggsy' Jun 11 2006, 11:11 AM

"Really liking this bootleg! Quite driving with a lot of energy- it adds a bit of beef to the "Aquarius" tune - a bit like AJS's - Fancy Island - it just adds a bit more spice. Anyone else liking this?"

A take onboard that views change on tracks, you can get sick of certain tunes through time, but still it couldn't of been that 'pointless' if there was once a time that you 'Really' liked this one. Atleast you left a decent explanation on that one though mate. You also say on the note of 'Tick mode';

'Briggsy' Jun 11 2006, 06:54 PM

"Personally, I like it and think it works well, and Jules is supporting it, so it can't be that bad."

You are now slating Jules for playing 'pointless' bootlegs, when there was a time that u were guilty of really liking as you describe a 'pointless' bootleg in the relation to 'Tick mode'. Ken has admitted bein' in the wrong so a think the least you can do is take back your comment towards him instead of trying to justify yourself which a have no doubt ye'll probably try & do.

As I've mentioned to you before a feel you need to think before ye spout out some of the stuff you post on here! A have completely scrutinised your comments but its only because its more than you deserve with your own dodgy one word descriptions of tunes that you happen to dislike. Am sorry to bring all this s*** up, but a can't go folk with double standards & you get away with it far too much....ye've jumped the band wagon on Ken's comment when ye had no right to do so.

Edited by Nick Callaghan

Nick - to be quite honest, i'm not really going into this in detail. K.Sheehan sent me a sarcastic PM last night, so i'll speak to him via PM about it, not publicly via a board. I know that you two are good mates and will probably side with one another. I remeber giving some negative comments about one of your bootlegs once, and you signed up as a member just half an hour later or so saying "my ears or burning". I imagine K.Sheehan pointed that thread out to you, so no doubt you're taking his side on this occasion to return the favour.

Lets just clear a few things up before you start trying to say i'm arrogant, etc!

1. At no point did I actually criticise K.Sheehan - all I said was that if he's going to knock someones work, perhaps he could offer an explanation as to why. I would say that to anyone who comes up with a negative comment without really backing it up with a decent explanation as to why.

2. As for being 'on my high horse' and 'arrogant' - well, IF the person is registered on here, then i'll openly discuss why I think their work is poor or whatever. If they're not registered on the board to read my comments, then what is the point in offering any kind of comment? Why would I waste ten minutes giving some feedback if its not going to be read by the person that produced the tune? if they're registered on here, then i'll give feedback - but i'm not going to waste my time writing feedback it its not going to be read.

3. With regards to Tick Mode (again, i've gone through this in PM with K.Sheehan) - yes, TWO YEARS ago, I liked it, however, in comparison to bootlegs he's done since, its by far one of the weakest. Sosei Fiction was superb - he took on a Trancey tune which didn't really have a hard remix, and really beefed it up - giving us something that we never had originally - a hard remix of Sosei. That's what a bootleg is produced for - to offer us something different. Tick Mode, compared to that, was pointless because it didn't really give us anything new. Its funny that my bad comment has been pointed back at me twice in less than 12 hours, yet the fact that i've praised Sosei Fiction on numerous occasions hasn't been mentioned at all.

4. As for CONSTANTLY criticising the bootlegs Jules plays - may I suggest that, as you seem to be reading back through my previous topics, go back and read them more thoroughly. Only last week I clearly said that I don't mind Jules playing a complete show of bootlegs - IF THEY'RE GOOD!! A large percentage of the bootlegs that Jules plays are either poorly produced (vocals out of time, frequencies fighting over each other, etc), or 'novelty' bootlegs which don't work (ie, well known vocals slapped on top of a tune that doesn't even suit it). Yes, I stand by my word - Digital Deviant HAS produced some poor bootlegs - as have many other people that have sent Jules bootlegs. However, Digital Deviant has also done a couple of GOOD bootlegs too (Monotone Devil for example). He's not registered on here though, so like I said earlier, there's no point me offering my two cents in why I feel the others don't work because the artist reponsible isn't going to read them.

5. Yes, I have knocked other tunes and artists - i'm not going to deny that because its true. I, like everyone else, don't like every single artist and tune out there, and am entitled to my opinion. HOWEVER, if that makes me 'arrogant' or 'on my high horse', then that applies to every member on every DJ board because we all slate certain artists, tunes or remixes. I'm no different there.

Am sorry to bring all this s*** up, but a can't go folk with double standards & you get away with it far too much....

Get away with what exactly? Having an opinion? Speaking out? Like it says above, i'm no different from anyone else - we all speak out with our opinions. Perhaps i'm a bit outspoken at times, but I speak my mind. If people have an opinion but are too scared to speak out, then what does that achieve?

ye've jumped the band wagon on Ken's comment when ye had no right to do so.

Excuse me? Jumped on what bandwagon exactly? Surely I have as much right to reply to that thread with an opinion as you have to cast this opinion of me? You can't give me stick for doing something which you did yourself when you posted this response! You're saying I had no right to stick my 2 cents in, but thats exactly what you did when you posted this response! He gave a comment on the bootleg, and I commented on his comment - just like Simon Ross and Burien did too. I'm not the only one that felt it was harsh. K.Sheehan has had digs at peoples bootlegs before, and I felt this was one too many. Other people are entitled to make bootlegs too - they have as much right as him.

Whether he intends it or not, he comes across as being a bit c**ky about bootlegs. The way he gives people constant negative feedback suggests "I can do it better than you", and it comes across as being big headed, but as soon as someone gives out any negative vibes about his work, he pounces on them and they suddenly become enemies. Just look at the Tick Mode thread you pointed out - he has a clear swipe at Dormouse, for no reason at all. All Dormouse did was give a bit of feedback, and bang - K.Sheehan pounced. Last night, he read my comment, and immediately sent me a PM about it too.

If people can't take criticism without getting stroppy about it, perhaps they should think twice about giving it out themselves. If they're big enough to give it, they should be big enough to take it. Unfortunately, it doesn't seem to work out like that with K.Sheehan - he's quick enough to dish out the criticism, but as soon as someone gives any back about his work, he becomes all stroppy about it - as his response to Dormouse in the Tick Mode thread, and the sarcy PM I was sent, highlight!

I don't really see why i've been singled out here. I'm not the only one that mentioned how K.Sheehan came across, yet i'm the one being pulled up for it in this thread and via PM?

At the end of the day, I speak my mind. If I think something is poor, i'll say it. If they're registered on here, i'll give my two cents as to why. I also give out praise where it's due too. You've pointed out all the negative feedback i've handed out, but not once have you mentioned about all the positive feedback i've given to artists and bootleggers. Yes, i've knocked Digital Deviant, but i've also given him praise. Yes, i've knocked K.Sheehan's work, but i've also given him praise too. However, you want me to look 'arrogant' and 'on my high horse', so you've failed to mention that......

I've mentioned endless times that I love Richard Durand's work, yet some people on here don't like his work and have come up with comments like "its a s*** remix" - but I don't get all serious about it by calling them 'arrogant'. They're entitled to their opinion, and I respect it. Only last week, Myself and Tom Bailey had a bit of an open debate about Above & Beyond. I mentioned why these are the only artists that i've never liked, and gave my opinions why. He replied with his views, and I fully appreciate them. He was right, and the fact that they're one of the most popular group of artists around at the moment, combined with running one of the most successful labels around proves that they are good and successful. They're not my cup of tea though, and I stand by my comments that I feel that their sound is a bit dated. Both of us have our opinions, and neither of us are right or wrong - we both have views. It doesn't mean we have to fall out over it or accuse each other of being 'arrogant'. We respected each other before that discussion, and we respect each other now (I hope anyway! lol).

I'm not arrogant - I just speak my mind. I give responses based on how I feel people have come across. That will never change. On forums, you see some people that are continually acting like pratts, others that are continually funny, and others that are continually serious. I think during the years i've been registered on here, i've acted the same way as I would in real life. I'm a very laid back person and I have different sides to me - I'm quite mature and serious, and if a thread needs a deep, serious response, i'll stick my 2 cents in. I'm also a big kid at heart - i'll often get jokey and join in with funny banter. In all my time here, everyone has seen a bit of everything from me - serious responses, funny responses, opinionated reponses and some outspoken responses. I don't hold back acting false - that gets you nowhere in life. What you see is what you get with me - my forum persona is the same as it is in real life. A good blend of everything from seirous to light-hearted.

One thing NOBODY have ever seen from me though is an arrogant side - because there is no way i'm an arrogant person! Far from it!

So much for me not going into detail..... :o

Edited by Briggsy

Possibley to be seen as jumping on a bandwagon although I dont really care I agree with all of the above, if people cant take good natured criticism, feedback or others opinions then what exactly is the point?! :lol:

Careful Jason, you might be branded arrogrant with that kind of response :P

God i didnt expect all this! lol

I do not take sides and always look at things from a neutral point of view, nobody likes critisism, but its what you do with it that counts.

From reading through this thread i take what you have wrote about Briggsy Nick as a definate personal attack. You have just chose to pick on one person, where there were a few people that said something such as Simon and Burien, so why not say anything to them as well?

Another thing i would say is that you never really seem to post on here, i know you are probably Busy like most of us, but you only seem to Post in defence or on opinions of Bootlegs. It would be nice to see a few more posts from you especially on general things. Like i said i do not have swipes at people and don't take sides. I always look from a neutrals point of view and this is how it looked to me.

From reading through this thread i take what you have wrote about Briggsy Nick as a definate personal attack. You have just chose to pick on one person, where there were a few people that said something such as Simon and Burien, so why not say anything to them as well?

Another thing i would say is that you never really seem to post on here, i know you are probably Busy like most of us, but you only seem to Post in defence or on opinions of Bootlegs. It would be nice to see a few more posts from you especially on general things. Like i said i do not have swipes at people and don't take sides. I always look from a neutrals point of view and this is how it looked to me.

Exactly! For someone that doesn't post that often, he seems to think he knows me well enough to brand me as 'arrogant' - even though he's only been registered on here for five minutes and doesn't know me from Adam.

At the end of the day, he registered here because K.Sheehan must have pointed him to the thread where I had a dig at one of his (Nick's) bootlegs. Its too coincidental that I had a dig at one of the bootlegs, then all of a sudden, Nick joins to say "my ears are burning". Also, co-incidentally, Nick replied to this thread shortly after K.Sheehan sent me his sarcy PM last night - he never posts here, yet he suddenly appears minutes after one of his mates to send me a PM about the same thing - not to mention that they both refer to the same 'Tick Mode' thread (bearing in mind that that thread was created before Nick Callaghan joined, so he wouldn't have found it unless he was directed to it by K.Sheehan, or spent ages trawling through posts just to see if i'd had a dig at K.Sheehan at some point - if so, that just shows he was looking through my past posts just to start an argument).

Another coincidence is that K.Sheehan has a swipe at everyones bootlegs - apart from Nick Callaghan's, even though some of them have bene better than Nick Callaghan's. Coincidentally, they're also good mates.

Strange that isn't it?........ Looks like a bit of "i'll scratch your back if you scratch mine" to me.

Briggsy, my pm to you only said I thought you were being hypocritical as Nick showed me that topic last night that you made about 'Tick Mode' 2years ago. I didnt even remember it. Stop trying to make out that PM was more than it was for f*** sake!! And I admit, in that topic I acted a tit but that was for very different reasons between me an dormouse - which we since have resolved. I can take ANY criticism thank you very much! I prefer people to say something I did was s*** rather than sayin its good jus to keep me happy. I think you're acting a bit jealous now to be honest Briggsy, I only slate bootlegs jus like you do. Just cause I've had numerous radio1 plays with mine etc etc you think that I have this attitude that I'm c**ky and that no one else can make mashups? what a load of s***, get a grip of yourself mate!! I dont give people CONSTANT negative feedback about bootlegs, as I said I jus slate the ones I dont like, do I not have a right to?? fair enough I might not go into detail as to why I dont like them but to say that I'm c**ky just cause I voice my opinion on them is jus silly! Now I have no more to say on this topic, its after blowing up a lot more than it should have.

Stop trying to make out that PM was more than it was for f*** sake!!

Describing your PM as "a sarcy PM" is hardly making out it was more than it was is it? Its a three word description!

I can take ANY criticism thank you very much! I prefer people to say something I did was s*** rather than sayin its good jus to keep me happy.

You blatantly can't though, and thats what myself, and Burien noticed. You'll quite happily criticise EVERY bootleg that members post on here, with the exception of your mates. As soon as someone hits back about it, like Dormouse did two years ago, and I did yesterday (along with others that you've chosen to ignore in order to single me out), you start getting stroppy about it. That PM may not have been much, but it was completely pointless - you only sent it to make a point because it had obviously rattled you.

I think you're acting a bit jealous now to be honest Briggsy.

Jealous of what exactly? Jealous that you've created a few bootlegs? Jealous that you can do a bit of production? Jealous that you've had a few plays on Radio 1? I've chosen not to go into production because it doesn't interest me. I've chosen not to make loads of bootlegs because it doesn't interest me. I DJ only - and thats my choice. I'd hardly be jealous of something i've opted not to do.

I only slate bootlegs jus like you do.

The difference is, you've had some sort of swipe at EVERY member member that has posted a bootleg on here, apart from those you're pally with. As i've said before, i'm not the only one that has picked up on this - you'll find a few others agreeing back up there ^^^^^

The bootlegs I criticise are the poorly produced ones that aren't good enough to be played by a professional DJ that plays live on Radio 1 and to thousands of clubbers each week. I haven't criticised EVERY bootleg he plays - some are superb, some are average, some are absolutely awful - again, i'm not the only one that agrees that some of the bootlegs Jules plays are very poor, but yet again, i'm being singled out.

but to say that I'm c**ky just cause I voice my opinion on them is jus silly! Now I have no more to say on this topic, its after blowing up a lot more than it should have.

Again, you've twisted something else that i've said. I didn't say you WERE c**ky, I said you COME ACROSS as being c**ky. You may not be being c**ky, but at times, it seems as if you are.

If you and Nick Callaghan insist on trying to quote me on things, then at least get them quotes right. So far, its been said that I criticise all bootlegs - when actually, I've given praise to some too (like I said earlier, that hasn't been mentioned though because it goes against the 'arrogant' image thats being pointed at me). There's also a difference between saying someone is c**ky, and saying they're coming across as c**ky.

Now like you say, this has all been blown out of proportion. There was no need for the PM last night, and no need for Nick Callaghan's rant either. A short response in the thread in reply to my comment would have been suffice.

I can't be arsed to waste any more time responding. I don't mind typing long lectures in work time, but i'm not doing it at home - so thats it as far as i'm concerned. We've said our bit, so we'll agree to disagree. I don't really see what all the fuss was about to start with anyway.

Edited by Briggsy

We all need to get our heads round the fact everyone has different tastes in whats good and what isnt.For instance Jules`s personal bootlegs get alot of comments on here - i personally really enjoy all of them as they do exactly what he intended them too do - CROWD PLEASE :mrgreen: which surely is the aim of any serious DJ. Personally i think its easy to make a rash comment without thinking about the work and effort (however little you may think that is) that has gone into a project (Honestly not pointing the finger anywhere - just a general statment) -Please remember some of the bootlegs Jules has played arent composed by aid of a production program and made by guys and girls just starting out.And im sure Jules plays them purely on merit. Ive made a couple in the past the old skool way and have taken the feedback i got about them to heart because they werent polished & technical sounding and professional as some of our more seasoned bootleggers out there who use production programs ie Ken, Nick , Christian, Xajaro & Tommie.And thats not knocking them for the way they produce theirs as its the 21st century after all :lol: Bottom line for me is feedback wise for members on here would be encouragement and tips rather than one liners and i think everyone has been guilty of those in the past myself included :thumbsup:

Edited by Justin Haze

Xajaro

He's a fine example of someone that can do a very good bootleg. I've liked quite a lot of his. Heatbeat also do some very good bootlegs.

Bottom line for me is feedback wise for members on here would be encouragement and tips rather than one liners and i think everyone has been guilty of those in the past myself included :thumbsup:

Exactly! Which is the point I made. Rather than comments like "its pointless" with no aim other than to knock confidence and scare them out of posting future bootlegs, some constructive tips would be far better.

Now like you say, this has all been blown out of proportion. There was no need for the PM last night, and no need for Nick Callaghan's rant either. A short response in the thread in reply to my comment would have been suffice.

Case closed.