3 Track Bootleg Idea

Well my aim of finishing on a high note with bootleg productions failed miserably so I am cracking the whip on them again. I have been sat playing with different tunes and have come across one which works with pretty much anything I put with it. I have put this miracle tune with another but there is no radical difference as a result so the thought struck me to add a third tune afterwards ... almost like bootlegging a bootleg.

I think my downfall with making bootlegs in the first place is making them too complicated, so some people may wonder why I plan to use 3 tracks if I cant even make a good bootleg with only 2 tracks. I dont really want to give anything away but I think if I can be careful with my selections this may possibly work ... it may not be the best thing since sliced bread but it will be different at least.

I noticed Richard Durand kicked off his Coloursfest set with a 3 track bootleg that I quite like so in a way he has inspired me.

Do people think a 3 track bootleg will be wise or should I step away?

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As i've mentioned when this the Durand bootleg was brought up in an earlier post, Techy Human Compadre uses 3 components - however, only because they worked well together and I was cynical in thinking that 'Humanoids..' was a popular track at that time so would provide a perfect vox sample.

I would only create this if you have an idea to integrate 2 tracks in the first place. I can't just keep on forcing the creation of bootleg after bootleg, it just kinda hits you when you mix two tracks together separately one day and then you have a go at merging them...

I think it may sound forced if you deliberately try to put 3 together. Or, it will be amazing! I could be talkig total gash, but if you feel that they process of putting 3 together is like trying to pass a kidney stone, then just sit back and wait for inspiration to hit you!

... it just kinda hits you when you mix two tracks together separately one day and then you have a go at merging them...

I think it may sound forced if you deliberately try to put 3 together. Or, it will be amazing! I could be talkig total gash, but if you feel that the process of putting 3 together is like trying to pass a kidney stone, then just sit back and wait for inspiration to hit you!

Well I have been working on this for a fair few hours and its all coming together nicely. I totally understand what you mean about the whole mixing 2 tracks and then merging them thing. I have had that experience many times.

I will reveal that the 3 tracks Im using are:

• Club Scene Investigators - Direct Dizko (Sander Van Doorn Remix)
    Randy Katana - Sex
    Lorren G ft Travel - Bulgarian (Lee Haslam Remix)

I am making sure I dont make this too complicated because I now know that this can work really well if its done properly, so I dont want to c**k it up. The main track that is used is Direct Dizko, and Sex runs all the way through in the background on a loop. I plan to have Bulgarian as a sort of breakdown section if I can make it fit in right.

Im hoping it all works out wonderful in the end otherwise this thread will be pretty damn pointless :lol:

Right then, I have been hard at this for bloody ages and am now reaching the end of the project (pretty quick wasnt it actually). The 3 track bootleg has come a seriously long way since I started just a few days ago and I personally think it is a corker ... however, there are probably areas that need work that have gone unnoticed by myself. Strong critique is highly appreciated this time because I think this has true potential:

3 Track Bootleg (96kbps)

http://www.4shared.com/file/53567931/39539...__Bootleg_.html

EDIT: New link due to different bootleg title

Edited by simonross46

Right Mr Ross, that without a shadow of a doubt is the best Bootleg you have done by far! knocks the socks off 'FTNY' in my opinion mate! The loop used works great with 'Direct Dizko' then you hit us with the 'Bulgarian' Breakdown' pure class! :thumbsup:

I really like this. As i thought, the three composite tracks are all good. Direk Dizko is a great foundation. I like the way the breakdown comes in too.

My only criticism of it, is it's a wee bit long. I like my tracks to be about 7 minutes. Other than that, it really is a good mashup.

My only criticism of it, is it's a wee bit long. I like my tracks to be about 7 minutes. Other than that, it really is a good mashup.

I also think it's a bit too long and IMO takes too long to get going. However its still a great mash-up. :thumbsup:

Yeah, as i said, it's a wee bit too long. I'm putting together a demo cd for some more gigs and did a dry run yesterday and put this on. And i have to say, it does sound good when you can properly hear the bass. I actually like the way the Travel "Bulgaria" breakdown comes in, very effective.

I hope Jules gets on this, If he gets on it, he most probably will edit it anyway.

Hopefully, you'll have timed it right and this could be played by him in Ibiza. Now that would be cool.

Edited by Moonman

If you start mixing out on 6:51 and cuts it off at 7:47, i'd say it's still radio material... (for the 30min hotmix anyway)

I think the first part (up to the 3:20 mark) builds up very nice, and even though i HAVE found it a bit long when mixing it, it's also what makes this bootie so brilliant. The perfect stacking of elements on top of each other until it all goes off! ;)

I'm sure if played in full length in a club, people would be energizing them self in the first 3 minutes, and then go absolutely ballistic with happiness once it peaks at 3:20!!

I must admit it's the best bootleg i've heard in a long time... can't get enough of it! :)

I actually like the way the Travel "Bulgaria" breakdown comes in, very effective ....

.... Hopefully, you'll have timed it right and this could be played by him in Ibiza. Now that would be cool.

I had to apply some effects to the section immediately before the Bulgarian tune (the sweep that raises and then falls). I have played around with the effects on the programme before but never put them into action. Without them the Bulgarian tune seemed to come out of nowhere and wasn't that great (Justin witnessed this and will agree). If Jules plays this in Ibiza, I will be extremely proud! Its a shame I wont be there to hear it if he does but hopefully there may be a live performance sometime.

I must admit it's the best bootleg i've heard in a long time... can't get enough of it! :)

That really has put a smile on my face. I bet you have heard your fair share of them too. Maybe I shouldnt not give up doing these just yet :lol:

Edited by simonross46