Your favourite clubs....

Briggsy

I know some of us do a fair bit of travelling around on here to see various DJ's, so ot of all the clubs you've been to, which are your favourites, and why?

1. BCM (Majorca) - A very state-of-the-art club with a superb sound system (and that was before the fitting of their new 300,000 euro Funktion 1 system), loads of laser and visual displays. The place is huge too, but has a very friendly atmosphere. The bonus point is the completely nude female dancers, but the downside is the sticky carpetted floor (hopefully as a result of beer spillage, and not people getting carried away over the female dancers....)

2. Turnmills (London - now closed down) - I loved this club simply because it was very unique. A very dark, underground (literally, underground) club, which was all very open (all of the rooms were open, with no doors, and branched out from the corridor). The sound system was superb, and the crowd were always very knowledgeable and very friendly. The thing I loved about this club was despite going numerous times, I could never find my way around. The club was a maze - corridors everywhere, with rooms branching off all over the place. I was gutted when this club closed down. If any other club closed down, I wouldn't be that bothered - but Turnmills was an amazing place. I also liked the staff - every single one of them was really into the music scene and knew their stuff. That was probably the reason why they had the best line-ups in England. Thankfully, The Gallery still exists at the Mos - and the same knowledgable staff have gone there too.

3. Panama (Amsterdam). Quite the opposite of BCM. Its very small and intimate, and the sound system left my ears ringing for two days, but its very much like how a typical club should be - dark, intimate and very cosy.

BCM is a club that i've always wanted to go to. Ever since about 2000 when Dave Pearce used to rave on about it. I'm just not a fan of Majorca.

1. Republic ; This had an atmosphere quite like no other. This was the standard at which all "Superclubs" were compared too. Quality DJ's, quality crowd, and quality music. For me, the the start of 1999-mid 2000 was THE time to go, i did and i have memories that will live with me forever. The people that attended were so into the music, as were the bar staff - if you ever saw them dance you'd know! The only other criticism about the club is it did tend to also attract the train spotters who'd stand around the DJ booth noticing when mixes "trainwrecked" and complain about tunes being out of date. Also had a very good soundsystem. I got to meet some wonderful people here, some of whom, i'm still in touch with, some 8-9 years later!

2. Turnmills ; Again, the southern equivalent of Republic. Turnmills was very very hot and sweaty and attracted a very up for it crowd who were friendly. The Gallery night also bought in the freshest DJ's to the country, their lineups were so diverese. The location was quite good aswell. Relatively close to some BnB's and a mates house ;)

3. Emporium ; fairly close to home, again featuring the some good DJ's, some of which were usually left of centre too. JFK was a good resident too at the Passion nights there. The main reason why i loved this place is it was only about a 40 minute drive and i got to hear the newest music first.

A club that i've always wanted to go to is The Arches. It's just too much of a trek. I've heard so many good reports on it, and i would really really love to go.

Edited by Moonman

I wasn't too keen on BCM to be honest, but probably due to the crowds when I've been there. It was always full of beer boys on a lairy night out, I'm not knocking getting lashed in there as it's all you can drink but they just seemed to spoil the atmosphere.

I hold Air/Code in very high regard simply as it has so many memories for me, it was the first real big club I attended & during '03 - '07 I had some of the best nights out ever there.

I also really like some of the more underground clubs in the UK, MyHouse in Leeds is magnificent & Hidden in London is brilliant, I guess my favourite underground club would have to be Corsica Studios. It's the darkest club I've ever played in & had such a magnificent atmosphere, the function one rig they had in there was easily the finest system I've had the privilege to play on & the night I had playing for ES down there will live long in the memory

I know what you mean about BCM - its one of those 'dual-purpose' clubs. On some nights, its just one of those 'all you can drink' p***-up clubs. When they have a 'proper' night on though with decent DJ's, it can't be beaten as a venue. There's just so much effort and money gone into it. Its nice to see a club spending their profits on making the venue even better, rather than lining their MD's pockets, which is what happens in most UK clubs.

As for Air - I find it to be really boring. Its just a dull, unimaginitive, square room with a bar at the end. Whoever designed it must have spent half an hour on the job. As for atmosphere, there isn't any now - and even more so since Godskitchen went monthly. Its one of the very few clubs around where you don't get friendly randoms coming up for a chat. Its my local, and i've had some great nights there in the past - but as a venue, its very dull :(

I haven't been to Gods for almost two years now despite the fact that it's so close, I've given up with their lineups to be honest.

I still love Air due to the fact that I've had so many good nights there in the past, it's due to going to nights there that I started DJing in the first place & it'd still be right near the top of a list of places I'd love to play as a result. Hopefully Gatecrasher's foray into the Birmingham club market will prompt Gods to up their act once again

I'd rate the Opera House as by far the best for all the Slinky event's I've been to. It's so open and airy yet friendly. I also like Republic but obviously that's burnt to the ground.

I hate Code as it's always red hot and you sweat buckets :sweatingbullets: . The Emporium is also pretty crap as the layout is a bit odd and all the stupid podiums get in the way. Not a very big dance floor at all.

Agreed Opera house is a fantastic venue, its hosted many superb nights over the years Slinky, Curious, Hot n Horny. And it's enabled me to catch many a great DJ like Oakey, Carl Cox, Paul Van Dyke, and despite having a couple of years away Slinky has come back bigger then ever before thanks to Lee Haslam.

I haven't been to Gods for almost two years now despite the fact that it's so close, I've given up with their lineups to be honest.

Same here. Same old line-ups from a shortlist of Armin, Eddie, Above & Beyond, Sander van Doorn, Ferry Corsten, Eric Prydz, Fedde Le Grand and Erick Morillo as headliners throughout the year on rotation. Once they've got through that list, they start the rotation all over again.

They've had John O'Callaghan there just once, never had Richard Durand at all, Sean Tyas makes his debut next month - there's so many DJ's they should be booking, but continually overlook in favour of the same old A-listers or flavour-of-the-month, hyped-up newcomers.

Everything about the place is stale. The club, the crowd, the line-ups - hence why I'd rather travel much further afield to places that are continually doing something new. Goodgreef and The Gallery are the best around when it comes to doing something different.

Godskitchen survives solely on its past reputation. What annoys me is their 'blinkered' views. They continually tell people that the place is doing well and a sell-out, even when the last few I went to last were half empty. The place has gone downhill since it went monthly.

I also don't see the point in those 'Future Gods' events because EVERY DJ they've had on those line-ups over the last three years have never been back since. They also insist on putting on a peak-time DJ to do the warm-up set. Mark Eteson is a bosher, not a warm-up DJ. I know Jo O'Bir is still their official resident, but in reality, he's only ever going to be there once or twice per year now, so a long-term warm-up DJ is needed to fill the gap. Give Mark Eteson his closing sets back - its what he's good at. Its not fair on Mark because he gets criticised a lot for his sets - but its not his fault. He's being asked to do something that isn't really his thing.

Edited by Briggsy

a long-term warm-up DJ is needed to fill the gap.

I'm always available ;)

The Future Gods event was a bit of a joke, I mean John Askew is far from a future god is he? He's been around forever.

The Future Gods idea worked well when it was either in the Nitrogen room or took place during one of the less busy fridays (when they were weekly). I remember seeing Smith & Pledger play just after they had made a breakthrough & loads of other DJs who have established themselves.

The problem with Gods stems from the fact that they ditched weekly Fridays for monthly saturdays, it lost them a lot of the regulars who had made the club great & also put so much pressure onto the one Saturday a month. The inflated budget they have for the solitary night coupled with the fact they feel the need to deliver a 'super-star' every month has lead to unimaginative lineups & boring 'play it safe' ideas.

I remember back on the weekly Friday's they would do themed nights & give so called 'lesser' DJs a go on the less busy nights of the month, I used to love these nights & saw some wicked DJs when they did so

Exactly mate! I'd rather see lower-profile DJ's than the same old A-listers. I can see Armin, Ferry & Sander any time I like. I'd rather see DJ's that aren't in this area so much.

I think bi-weekly would would really well. Perhaps have one a-lister on for one event per month, and then leave the 2nd event for lesser-profile DJ's.

I'd rather pay to see a line-up along the lines of John O'Callaghan, Sean Tyas, Mike Koglin and Mark Eteson than Sander van Doorn, Marco V and Mark Eteson.

I can go to Gods whenever I like for free - yet i'm still opting to stay away. Thats how low I think of the place now.

Edited by Briggsy

My list:

Home in London - When it was open, used to be a very good club. It's design and soundsystem was second to none, beating that of the system in MoS.

The End in London - Very forward thinking musically, amazingly beautiful crowd who are actually clued up on their music and just wanna dance dance dance! Intimate venue and perfect sound levels. Best place in London for house bar none.

The Arches in Glasgow - Absolutely nuts. Hands down the best place in the UK for overall atmosphere, a key element to any successful club night.

Klub Protector in Poland - Polish equivalent to how 'Crasher used to be in it's hay day. Unreal women and the crowd are very receptive. Perfect DJ booth and club decor plus a slammin' soundsystem!

Pacha in Ibiza - Beautiful house music all night long... say no more!!!

ADE in Amsterdam - OK, not really a club, but as an event, it's brilliant. Daytime is for the business and the nighttime parties ARE the business! The Dutch are proud of their dance industry and graciously want you to feel the same which results in one thing... some kickass parties and hazy memories... happy times!!!

Ooooh yeah - Tenaglia played there a fair few times too. The problem about the club is that most licensed premises around the area have to close by 3am so the police can clear the area of people and the council workers can tidy up the area in advance of the next day's tourists hitting Leicester Sq. With stringent laws in place, clubbers were more likely to goto clubs where they could carry on until 6am so Home closed down sadly.