Judge Jules (July Mix 2008)

Burien

The Arnej track is a strange one really, I like it a lot but I'm still surprised Jules has played it so much. The first few times I heard Schulz play it he used it as a kind of beat tool to blend from one track into another, it worked well as Schulz' sound fits in a lot more & he can use it without disrupting the overall tempo of his set.

Just seems like Jules likes the track but doesn't know when he should play it, maybe he'd be better off with the intro edit?

I always wondered if Dj's drink much alcohol when they are playing in the clubs as I am sure that they are offered free drink

Would Jules be drunk djing? This could account for the compete randomness in his track selection. I know that Fergie used to drink heavy but I think that he has cut back in recent times.

That July mix is all over the place in my opinion,

Drink definately plays a part in Jules's set yeah. At Godskitchen last year, he'd clearly had far too much vodka, which resulted in him playing the same tune twice, terrible mixing, and a very random flow, he continually messed about with tunes with drawn out loops and poor attempts at scratching - and then he actually uploaded it to his website as his monthly mix. I think you may recall my rant about it - and a lot of people commented on how poor that mix was. Unfortunately, I paid to witness that crap.

He also recorded an Essential Mix at Goodgreef either late last year, or earlier this year - and he was slurring quite badly on the mic. This is very unprofessional in my opinion. I'm very surprised he didn't get a warning from Radio 1.

I've got nothing against DJ's having a drink - but when it starts affecting their sets quite severely, and people have paid to hear them, then I think that is very unprofessional. Surely they can wait a bit longer until after their set to have a drink. If we drank at work, we'd be sacked - so DJ's shouldn't be any different.

Simon Patterson drank water throughout his set on Saturday, and Richard Durand drank water up until his set, and then drank alcohol through his set - so that by the time the alcohol kicked in, his set would be finished and wouldn't have affected his performance. That is how it should be in my opinion.