A little help

deansonline

Hi all, I've not really been dj'in that long and i wanna do a set with some good uplifting trance/dance music but i dont really know what to play.

I've really been hooked on Sasha & Emerson - Reflect On Scorchio and want to play tunes to this style.

anyone have any suggestions what else i can use?

Personally I reckon you're best off hitting sites like beatport, audiojelly, etc & searching thru the latest releases on relevant genres & also hitting the charts on those genres then picking out the tracks that appeal to you personally.

Recommendations are OK but really you wana be playing something unique & individual, browsing tracks & picking out your own favourites will help to forge a better identity for yourself than taking heed of too many other people's thoughts.

you wana be playing something unique & individual

This is very true. It is best to find your own style and I know it sounds tedious going through the hundreds of thousands of tracks but will be worth it later on. It is best not to go for peoples favourites otherwise you are basically playing their style ... and those who make it big dont often sound similar to anyone else.

If you're just starting out then its a rollercoaster ride that you should enjoy. As has been said, go on to beatport, find a tune you like, and down the bottom it says something like "users who liked this also bought" or something.

If you do this with Juno, Beatport etc, and don't try to copy a dj, and just go for what you like, its a perfect starting ground.

The amount of days off I've had and spent 8 hours on Beatport just hopping about is insane, but if you really love the music that much then its worth it, especially when people who know their stuff come up and ask what that fecking brilliant tune is.

One tip though, don't just download the top 50 tunes sold on beatport, it doesn't just devalue yourself, its the same as an artist hoping to sell a painting for £100,000, and using a painting by numbers kit.

One thing I've noticed with trance etc is that a big tune is just that, everyone ends up playing it eventually, and thats one of the reasons I don't anymore, I started fishing a bit deeper to a sound that I properly liked, rather than just playing something DJ Bloggs had played for 3 weeks solid.

DJing is hard, so get used to it, but if you can please yourself whilst playing, you've got a hell of a lot more chance of pleasing your dance floor. And don't ever watch MTV Dance....

Definately agree with your comments there mate, ignore the beatport charts & alike as they simply highlight the tracks that are populating everyone's sets at the moment, being individual is more difficult but chances are you'll do better that way & the effort will be rewarded

I also feel that you shouldn't pigeon-hole yourself by sticking to a set style. Too many DJ's will only stick to a specific style/sound - even if they do actually like other stuff a bit, but perhaps not enough to play it all the time.

The advantages to having a specific style is that people will always know what to expect from you (for example, if Markus Schulz plays, you know you're gonna get dirty, progressive Trance, and if Marcel Woods plays, you know you're gonna get non-stop Tech-Trance).

Its good to have a style, but its good to have some diversity too. Nobody knows my style because even I don't - one day i'll play Melodic Trance, another day i'll play Tech-Trance - and i've never been afraid to cross genres in a set too (for example, Techno crosses over nicely into a Tech-Trance set).

I hear so many DJ's say "I like that tune, but I never bought it because it doesn't fit in with my style" - which I disagree with. If you love a tune, you should play it - after all, we're supposed to be DJ's purely for the love of the music - so why miss out on tunes that you love? It don't make sense.

Just do some searching for tunes, and if you like it, buy it - whether it be 132 bpm or 142bpm, whether it be Trance, Tech-Trance or Techno. Its your set, so play what you like - diversity is good.

Thanks guys, it definitely makes sense what your saying. To be honest i thought dj's did just stick to a certain style to mark who they are what to expect from them.

All ready going through beatport and trackitdown, Its gonna take a while to get an extensive collection put together but when i do it'l be worth it.

Give me a couple of weeks and i'l get a set uploaded to all of ya.

Thanks for the insight people...........hints, tips and general feedback is always much appreciated!