Ear Plugs

simonross46

Over the past couple of days my ears have been starting to take some serious s*** and now my left ear is in immense pain. I will be going to visit the doctor soon but in the mean time I have been looking into buying some ear plugs before it all goes like Frankie Wilde. I have come across 2 different sets that I like the look of but have no idea which would do the job better:

Set One - (Docs)

http://www.chemical-records.co.uk/sc/servl...nfo?Track=DFFL5

Set Two - (Alpine)

http://www.chemical-records.co.uk/sc/servl...?Track=ALPLUGSS

I prefer the 'Docs' pair at the moment but they just look as though they just block all sound out rather than filtering it. The 'Alpine' set seem to have more filtering technology but the aesthetics are horrid. Does anyone have some knowledge about what I should really go for? I don't exactly have a lot of cash to spend so the £100+ customised sort are out o the question and pretty ridicuous :lol:

Can anyone shed some light on the matter? What do people know?

:mellow:

Ringing is a sign your ears are far from happy and need rest; pain is a sign irreparable damage is on the way! I say out of the two links you gave, get the Alpine ones, sir. Good luck!

Maybe take a break from headphones for a week too? Intersperse the music with rest, sire. ;)

I actually own the Alpine ones, and they do reduce the sound really well WITHOUT affecting the quality of the sound. They're proper DJ'ing earplugs. Everything sound crisp. You also get three different levs at which you can reduce the volume - you can have a slight reduction or a massive reduction - the choice is yours. You just swap the filter over to whichever volume you require.

Also - don't be put off by the look. Although they look quite 'chunky', you can actually trim away some of the plug so that it fits your ear better (the instructions actually recommend this). They actually aren't that noticeable once they're in.

The only thing I would say against them is that they're a little tricky to get in because the rubber is quite soft, although once they're in, they don't keep falling out - which is a bonus. They also take a bit of getting used to - they might seem a bit uncomfortable at first - but then that would be the same for any earplugs that aren't moulded, so you'll get the same problem with most plugs.

If you want good quality sound at a reduced volume, then these come well recommended.

Some pretty useful feedback guys, thanks for tapping back. Tomorrow I am off to visit the doctor to get his verdict on the situation, hopefully he can sort something out and get the problem sorted. I can't work until I can hear in my left ear again because even though I am only a cashier in Homebase ... everyone I serve stands on my left :rolleyes: I think I will invest in those Alpine ear plugs simply because you have actually used them Briggsy, so if you say they work alright I am willing to go by that. As for the gimp helmet above ... I will pass on that :lol:

Have been thinking about getting some myself, but never got round to it yet. Touch wood my ears seem to do ok at the moment, I do find that when I'm playing I usually have the 'phones volume way lower than the other DJs, some guys have it so loud I swear it must mess with their ears in a terrible way

thanks for starting this thread Simon, It made me rethink my clubbing experience both as part of the audience and as a DJ... i've only used earplugs for concerts and a few DnB events were i knew in advance that the volume would be extremely loud.

more than once have I had a 'sssh' in my ears a day or two after a concert and after my mate sat too long close to a speaker during a party he have had semi-permanent Tinnitus.

With Briggsy's reply i think i safely can say i'll be getting a pair of Alpine's before my next gig in a club.

Thanks for getting my attention back on the whole earplug thing.. i tend to forget about issues like this until it's too late.

Its having my headphones too loud that has caused me my problems rather than clubbing - but the damage is done now.

I don't really get long-standing tinnitis - it goes away a few hours after clubbing or DJing, but my left ear is seriously struggling these days. There's no noticable difference in a normal environment - but when i'm out clubbing, I can't hear people talking to me at all in my left ear. I have to get them talking in my right ear instead.

The first sign of hearing damage is not being able to talk in a loud environment - and as i've had that problem for a while now, its obvious i've got problems :(

Its self inflicted though so its completely my fault. I know the risks and I chose to carry on anyway (and still do when DJ'ing).

Thankfully, there's a cure for deafness around the corner, so by the time I go deaf, the cure will be available lol. (thats a joke by the way - I don't expect the NHS to bail me out of a self-inflicted problem at other peoples cost).

i'm quite lucky in that i have never had tinnitus. Shocking really cos i have had the misfortune of some very bad sound systems in the past. When DJing i find i have my phones quite low also, compared to other DJ's, dunno, just lucky i guess :)

I visited the doctor a few hours ago and it's not as bad as I expected. What has happened is the loud noises have caused the ear to form excessive amounts of wax but its all so far down the ear canal built on the surface of he ear drum itself. Its likely I will hear again in a matter of weeks but already I can hear popping and crackling so hopefully things will be back to normal in days.

Now I'm going to order those ear-plugs so I don't have any more scares in future! :)

I visited the doctor a few hours ago and it's not as bad as I expected. What has happened is the loud noises have caused the ear to form excessive amounts of wax but its all so far down the ear canal built on the surface of he ear drum itself. Its likely I will hear again in a matter of weeks but already I can hear popping and crackling so hopefully things will be back to normal in days.

Now I'm going to order those ear-plugs so I don't have any more scares in future! :)

I have that problem regularly mate. I have to get mine syringed every 2-3 years. Its partly through DJ'ing and partly down to a genetic problem aswell (My dads side of the family have the same problem).

NEVER use ear drops. My doctor always advised against these because they contain a lot of things which actually create more wax longer term. He recommended using Olive Oil - it naturally removes ear wax and is actually good for the ear.

Try putting some in before you go to sleep, and then put some cotton wool in overnight. You'll notice a difference within a few days. Its worked well for me since he advised me to do it.