Favourite old skool computers?

Quadrant

Back to the old skool  

24 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

in no particular order...

Super Mario Kart, Super Mario World, Mortal Kombat II, Street Fighter II, F-Zero, Zelda - A Link To The Past, Donkey Kong Country...

the list is long and i could go on.... the SNES is (still) the best 16bit machine for me!

I never had an Amiga or C64, but they both have their share of brilliant games... Silkworm and Giana Sisters are some of my faves.

I must admit i've always been a PC man, so what really sits in my memory from that era is the 'Leisure Suit Larry' series, Lemmings and Lemmings II.

just a comment to the poll btw: "Sega (Megadrive, Dreamcast, Genesis..)"

Genesis/Megadrive is the same machine :)

Genesis = American name

Megadrive = European name

Definately the SNES, its especially great to relive those games you mentioned via emulation.... and the size of about 1 mp3 single!

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When is the closing date for all votes to be casted???

I've no idea! Sometime next week though.

Admins can you change this poll software so the thread starter can change the number of votes? It's not fair if they can't be rigged.

I've no idea! Sometime next week though.

Admins can you change this poll software so the thread starter can change the number of votes? It's not fair if they can't be rigged.

I agree brother, lets make the poll honest and free from corruption...so we will truly only have one winner...

Exactly. The Megadrive was the fastest of the two

*ERRR!!!* now that ain't all true...

though the Megadrive CPU is higher clocked, the SNES utilizes it's clock cycles better (less lag), plus it comes loaded with more memory, more colors and double the amount of audio channels!!... and guess what? it still uses less power than the Megadrive!

want proof? here goes!

snesvsgenjpg.jpg

*Fuzzy does the SNES4life dance!* music_1.gif

though the Megadrive CPU is higher clocked, the SNES utilizes it's clock cycles better (less lag), plus it comes loaded with more memory, more colors and double the amount of audio channels!!... and guess what? it still uses less power than the Megadrive!

Exactly, the SNES was by far the more technically advance of the two. One thing the comparison overlooks is the sound processing. The SNES used to recreate real reverb on the sounds, particularly used in the Mario games.

As for the vote, mine goes to the CPC. I still own, and use, one. I use it as a simple audio synthesizer to add some 8bit to my productions.

Edit: Interesting fact, both the SNES and Megadrive had online services in Japan. We had to wait till the PS2 to get anywhere near that!

Edited by Spin Doctor

There are rumours that the Playstation was set to be that addon to the SNES. Sony and Nintendo were apparently in talks at the time and schematics were being designed until things broke down and Sony decided to go it alone. There could be some credence behind these claims, the SNES controller and the original PS controller are very similar, not to mention that the video outputs are similar too.

As far as i know, these rumors has been officially validated by Nintendo a few years ago.

Today i'm quite happy that Ninty didn't hook up with Sony, because i'm not sure they would have been able to keep it together for long.

But then again... if they HAD gone into it together, maybe there would be more 'adult' games on the Nintendo consoles, instead they split up and also splitted the genres up, one could say.

Ninty for kids & Playstation for adults & serious gamers <--- not true, but thats how it looks in many peoples eyes :|

snescd2jv4.jpg

This made me laugh so much. I know it's in Danish, but the "News! News!" title and the exciting picture they have just shows how far we've come in 20 years - no, wait - 30 years! :lol:

Edited by Quadrant

want proof? here goes!

snesvsgenjpg.jpg

*Fuzzy does the SNES4life dance!* music_1.gif

I remember reading that sonic was the fastest game at the time lol

It was called the Mega CD. Never had one, though I did play Sonic on it. That was by far the best of the 16-bit Sonic games. Going back and forward in time? Very impressive. Mega CD was a bit of a flop though as the CD just added a larger memory from which to store game data, but the CPU still couldn't handle much more. On the whole I think the 32X made the better use of the system. Doom wasn't all that bad on the console.

• 2 weeks later...

My uncle bought a megadrive in 1991,I got one for christmas that year mustve been and it was kuffed! it would only play sonic! I broowed Desert strike off my uncle and it worked fine untill Ip ressed the a butron to fire, the screen would mess up! so megadrive had to eb sent back (yes was bought from Great Universal catolouige) for another MD, which worked fine :lol:

I sold my megadrive for 20 quid with er 5 or 6 games in 1998!m, now I have every Megadrive game released as roms on one CDr! :lol: thanks to my uncle

Streets of rage is still amazing! unbeatable as a side scrolling beat em up!