Possibly Caught Speeding?

bigsteve

• 1 month later...
I'm scared to update you on this, but so far, the postie hasn't brought a speeding ticket my way...lets hope it stays that way.

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but they have up to 6 months to send you a fine. However, if you haven't recieved one within a month, its normally a good sign.

My boss had one turn up a week after the 6 months were up, so he had great pleasure in being let off :D

14 days seems too short though - especially when the film often sits in the camera for days before its emptied, and then the fine gets sent by second class post too - so on occasions, I would imagine it takes over a week just to get the ball rolling?

Moonman would know being in the police no doubt? How long do the police have to nab someone for speeding mate?

I don't imagine there's a time limit really, it's a crime and you still done it no matter how long ago it was! :rolleyes:

Maybe so, but almost everyone speeds - even Police when there's only one of them in a car. If everyone that drove over the speed limit was banned from driving, you'd see about 4 cars on the road per hour - the country would be dead.

IMO, ten miles an hour over the speed limit does nobody any harm. Its the chavs that do 60 in a 30 that take the p***. Besides, many of our speed limits were set decades ago when cars didn't have the braking powers that they do these days.

Our current system says that 70mph on a motorway is a safe speed - regardless of whether its 4am when its dead, or 4pm when its rush hour. Personally, I feel that that the speed limit could be increased to 80mph at quiet hours, and reduced to 60mph when the motorway is busy, and quite often, far too congested for 70mph to be deemed a safe speed.

Our speed limits need a review in this country.

I wasn't saying otherwise, I was just saying or explaining why I thought there was no time limit and actually since I got caught over 15 yrs ago now I don't speed!

Imagine if something terrible happened because of it, I know it's a touch of OCD I have but god terrible things do happen imagine the guilt if it was actually your own fault!

terrible things do happen imagine the guilt if it was actually your own fault!

I agree, which is why I treat every road differently regardless of speed limit. If i'm in an area where kids may run from behind cars, etc then i'll stick to the speed limit, and in some cases, perhaps even drive slower - but if its a wide road, with fields on both sides (for example), and I can clearly see that there's no hazards at all - and the speed limit is something daft like 30mph, then i'll use a bit of common sense and drive at something like 40mph.

Personally, I think the safest speed to travel is the same speed as everyone else anyway - if they're all doing 40mph in a 30 zone, then someone is just gonna get impatient and try to overtake you if you do 30mph - and that overtaking move is probably more dangerous than the people that are speeding.

14 days seems too short though - especially when the film often sits in the camera for days before its emptied, and then the fine gets sent by second class post too - so on occasions, I would imagine it takes over a week just to get the ball rolling?

Moonman would know being in the police no doubt? How long do the police have to nab someone for speeding mate?

No - each camera needs to be calibrated and must have certifactes of correct calibration; check here :)

They have to change / check the films in the cameras regularly otherwise they cannot process or replace used film - have you not heard of how jammy people say they were flashed and didn't hear nothing!? I know a few!! :o

I agree with what has been said above, but from my experiences and research, I would be confident in saying Steve is safe. If he is not, then, I would certainly challenge it if it were to arrive now and use those websites are references. If it was a mobile camera, then I guess Steve would have heard something by now as the officer would have gone straight back to base after the shift and processed the incidents for that day there and then!

I remember my dad telling me how not all speed cameras operate as we expect them to. In our county (which is the second largest) there is only one camera which is in operation 24/7 ... some just flash and dont process anything to pass over a fear factor, like a warning. I trust this knowledge since he has been a 'real' police officer (not one of them community peeps) for 30 years now :lol:

Wow - I never thought this thread would generate so much interest, but thanks for the help. I thought I was 'caught' by a mobile camera van, so I would expect the officer (are they real ones in these vans?) to process the film that day. Here's hoping..

I agree that speed limits need reviewing in the UK. They date back to the 60s when there weren't the number of vehicles there are now. Open single carriageways are all 60mph for cars, unless signed otherwise. This is totally inadequate as often these roads are twisty country roads. Similarly, motorways have a 'design speed' of around 85mph, and yet they have legal limits of 70mph. All very strange. The problem with variable limits (ie different at night) becomes confusing for the driver unless they have variable signing, which becomes expensive to operate and maintain. No easy answer I guess.

Mmmmmm I've never come across a wide road with fields both sides and absolutely no hazards and a silly speed limit like 30mph? There's generally a reason for the limit that a road has?! Also again, it's a maximum speed not a target, I do not agree that the safest speed to do is what everyone else is doing, perhaps everyone else SHOULD go a bit bloody slower!

You don't know all the hazards some hazards are in fact the other drivers and you do not know what they are gonna do next, you can only assume, and I still see people on the phone, looking and trying to dial whilst also giving way to traffic both ways and not even noticing me and my children are trying to cross?!

If we knew all the hazards and could act accordingly surely there would be NO accidents! If we knew when we were going to have an accident, then we would prevent it, and again have no accidents!

Some very small minor accidents can have the most devestating consequences.

Newcastle are in the process of making all their residential streets 20mph (enforceable) zones. Quite how it will be enforced is another matter, but its a good move and will hopefully save a lot of lives.

If traffic signals on long urban roads were phased so that once you had gone through one set and stayed within the speed limit, you would not arrive at a red signal until you turned off that route, it would encourage people to stay within the limits. How many times does someone overtake you, but end up just a car in front of you at the next junction? Sometimes it just isn't worth it.

Personally, I think the safest speed to travel is the same speed as everyone else anyway - if they're all doing 40mph in a 30 zone, then someone is just gonna get impatient and try to overtake you if you do 30mph - and that overtaking move is probably more dangerous than the people that are speeding.

In that scenario, if a collision occurs, I know who the insurers will be turning to.