Recording

deansonline

Each month i try to get monthly set recorded for myself, as i do van driving for a living, theres only so many times you can listen to whats on the radio before you go nuts. Cds are an nessicity. Downloading peoples sets from this web site proves to be a well worth while for me, not only do you get an idea of what people are into but its also new music to keep me entertained. I have to say the majority of sets i've listened to are very good!

I use an I-Key recording device that basically plugs into some jack leads coming out of my Djm 800 but for some reason all my sets i've recorded have come out quite bass-y and i dont like this. I dont know if recording them in 320kbs plays a part in this or if its just the way its meant to sound. Anyway, Im soon to put up a set as it has been a while but for those interested you can see for yourselves.

I am curious though as to how you lot record your sets and what you use.

Hey Deano

I'm due a few mixes soon too... :)

I haven't used anything other than Nero Wave Editor for recording my sets... Basically, I set the input level, record and then hit 'ok' when finished recording. It then inserts what it has recorded and then I save as a WAVE file. I then use a prog called 'CdeX' to convert the WAVE to MP3 (usually variable bit rate to get maximum quality at a suitable size for uploading to the net).

It sounds as if your inputs may be too high; check your mixer levels and the software recording levels. Try lowering these, record for about 60 secs and then listen back. Make adjustments where you feel necessary and tweek the settings till you get it right. Don't record a full on set, just record snippets, and use trial and error to determine the optimum settings.

Hope this helps you :)

I use Cd-Ex to record and convert my mixes to MP3 all in one go. Its a freebie to download and I've never had any issues with it. I use all the standard settings in Cd-Ex, but have to play about with the outputs from the mixer to get it too sound right. Takes a bit of playing around with, but once you get it right, write down what settings suit you best, as someone is bound to alter them at some stage :winkthumbsup:

• 1 month later...

Ask Tim for the expert advice on this one ;) . He taught me all I know!!

I use an external soundcard as the one on my laptop is crap. It's a Creative Soundblaster. The recording program I use is Audacity (free!), which I record into as a Wav file. That ensures the file quality is tip top at the point of recording. I then run that into WinLame to convert to MP3.

If you use the search feature there will be some very interesting and helpful info on this as it's been discussed on a couple of occasions.

There is the possibility that your levels into the I-Key are just too high. Have a fiddle and see what happens.

Wo there...Audacity

I had loads of problems with that, I spent ages splitting the tracks then when I exported them only a few saved as WAV files, I don't know why but it really upset me :( Another time I recorded my mix, nearly an hour then went to save it and the program shut down on me!

I have had no problems with Soundforge :)

Is Traktor Scratch like a mega improved version of what Virtual DJ is? ... it has the same layout but what put me off is the 'scratch' part. I'm going to guess it isn't based on scratching alone like I first thought.

Never used virtual DJ. You use your turntables or CD players which have a timecode pressed onto them. This is fed back to the laptop (via the soundcard you get) allowing you to play MP3's using timecoded CD or Vinyl (you can also flick the input over on the mixer to play normal vinyl). I think pretty soon, everyone will be playing off laptops anyway. It's the logical progression. I was a Serato user, but Traktor just completely blows it out of the water - this is what i'll be sticking with.

And no, you can scratch with it if you so please, but i'm not into that either, i just like mixing tunes.

Seems like a solid investment for the future. I obviously won't be using vinyl because I am one of the younger generation, and because it is called 'Scratch' I thought it would be some sort of program based all for vinyl scratching. I can see myself using it in future, and I want it already :lol:

yeah, i firmly believe its the way forward, it took a while for DJs to make the switch to CD, now the same will happen with Laptops. I've played out using Serato and loved it, Traktor will be better. Also, when i've been playing out, i've been seeing more and more people djing from laptops. The timecoded cd\vinyl basically just talks to the laptop software telling it whereabouts in the track it is and what pitch the cd\vinyl is running at etc. Its clever stuff.

I noticed i wasn't paying attention enough on one mix, so i'll do another tomorrow and upload it (listening to the tune rather than mixing!) The tune i was listening to rather than beatmatching was Delerium vs. Gareth Emery.

Theres loads of stuff on Youtube about it. I got switched onto Traktor when i saw a local guy use it, i had ago and was so impressed, Serato just had to go.

The thing that worries me about playing live in clubs is having to use their set ups. I use virtual dj, which sounds like it does what traktor does but the only the basics. I have no CDJ's or anything worthwhile so I am a pure laptop DJ at the moment. The way things are heading, clubs wont have virtual dj in their booths but they will have something like traktor, if not they will actually have traktor. Aslong as I don't have CDJs this is what I will rely on. I

recall being told a long time ago that its best if you can use their equipment at a club rather than setting up your own? I can see how it would be a fuss standing there plugging all your own crap in.

i always check before hand what equipment they've got. I'll burn a few cds just in case, but the last 3-4 times ive played out, i've used my laptop. A lot more places now have either Serato or Traktor boxes already setup - so all you have to do is plug your laptop in.

Tong does laptop now, I hate laptop djing in clubs, might as well take a f***ing compilation tape in, put it on and sit in an armchair. I know you are still mixing and doing bits and bobs but it looks like you're checking your email while you wait for people to to finish dancing to your CD!!!

Not what I want out of a club at all!

I feel like crying now, is this where it's all going? I suppose as more young people filter thru and take up clubbing they' just get used to the way it is now and that's that. If you don't know what you're missing, you wont miss it!!

I'll miss it!!