Recording

deansonline

Tong does laptop now, I hate laptop djing in clubs, might as well take a f***ing compilation tape in, put it on and sit in an armchair. I know you are still mixing and doing bits and bobs but it looks like you're checking your email while you wait for people to to finish dancing to your CD!!!

Not what I want out of a club at all!

I feel like crying now, is this where it's all going? I suppose as more young people filter thru and take up clubbing they' just get used to the way it is now and that's that. If you don't know what you're missing, you wont miss it!!

I'll miss it!!

Me too, :(

Using a laptop is no different to using CDJ's - thats just puching buttons. At the end of the day, technology progresses. Initially i was anti laptop and vowed never to use it being that i'm stubborn, but when i saw you could control mp3's using SL1200's i just had to go down that path. Its given me the opportunity to stop using CDJ's (whichif i;m honest i never completely took too, i find them too sensitive) and go back to using Technics - the advantages are there to see - even CDJ's are limited in there finctionality compared to the sheer power of a laptop program.

The use of a laptop just saves time allowing you to focus on other areas. For example, i know Richie Hawtin and paul van dyk use Traktor and ableton linked. They set the Traktor beat grids up so the dont have to bother beatmatching, the laptop does it for you. Is it cheating? possibly, whose to say, but Richie Hawtin uses the time saved beatmatching to do other things - effects, accapella's etc. I'd rather hear someone doing this on the fly, that Judge Jules sticking to solely CDJ's bashing out dodgy mashup after dodgy mashup just to get some sort of exclusivity in his sets. I think the last time i saw Simon Patterson, he was using Serato aswell - it's the way its going to go, in 3 years time, mark my words, we'll all be djing via laptops.

I wish we could go back to just vinyl, i really do. But we have to remember, nothing stays the same forever.

Using a laptop is no different to using CDJ's - thats just puching buttons. At the end of the day, technology progresses. Initially i was anti laptop and vowed never to use it being that i'm stubborn, but when i saw you could control mp3's using SL1200's i just had to go down that path. Its given me the opportunity to stop using CDJ's (whichif i;m honest i never completely took too, i find them too sensitive) and go back to using Technics - the advantages are there to see - even CDJ's are limited in there finctionality compared to the sheer power of a laptop program.

The use of a laptop just saves time allowing you to focus on other areas. For example, i know Richie Hawtin and paul van dyk use Traktor and ableton linked. They set the Traktor beat grids up so the dont have to bother beatmatching, the laptop does it for you. Is it cheating? possibly, whose to say, but Richie Hawtin uses the time saved beatmatching to do other things - effects, accapella's etc. I'd rather hear someone doing this on the fly, that Judge Jules sticking to solely CDJ's bashing out dodgy mashup after dodgy mashup just to get some sort of exclusivity in his sets. I think the last time i saw Simon Patterson, he was using Serato aswell - it's the way its going to go, in 3 years time, mark my words, we'll all be djing via laptops.

I wish we could go back to just vinyl, i really do. But we have to remember, nothing stays the same forever.

In my opinion yes it is cheating and it makes for a boring set! I'm not there to hear super perfect beatmatching and watch some bloke get a stiffy about it! I'm there for a good time, a good atmosphere and a good dance to some good tunes and a fun to be with DJ!

That's just my opinion, I know, I can't help that!

Afterall though, I haven't heard ONE person say they didn't wish we still all used vinyl etc, even all you digitalised guys!

Edited by Number 2 fan

No matter what is used if sets are boring they are boring, thats down to the dj what they are doing and what tunes they are playing

For the record 3 years time I wont have no laptop and certainly wont be djing using one, i spent enough of what little dosh ive had to buy my equipement and wont be swapping any of it.