CD MIXING!

Yes loads of sites to choose from best being Juno, audiojelly, beatport, I would burn to cd's yes

Well you can record your vinyl same mthod you record your mix with so yeah

Downloadings cheaper than buying slabs of vinyl, you dont have to have theversions you dont want or like etc....

I usually put 6 to 8 tracks on a cd then make 2 copies of it (so I can mix into tracks on the same cd) then keep them both in one slot of my cd case. The only drawback is that it's harder to organise what you're going to play, especially if your cd's aren't very well structured (a bit of everything on each) like mine. As for digitalising vinyl you can get cheap usb turntables that you can plug straight into your pc & record from using software like Audacity.

Ive seen these usb tt's and think they area pile of crap you can get audacity for free and if you already have turntables like Number 2 no point buying another one! thats my views on it :lol:

Agreed. I'm rather proud of myself in talking my Dad out of buying one. He has a high quality turntable and just needed a lead and CD-Ex which you can download for free. Someone is seriously at it with these USB TTs.

i would strongly recommend Serato Scratch / Tracktor Scratch. I'm not that keen on CDJ's. I mean, the technology is awesome, but for me, Technics still (after 10 years of me using them) come through. I enjoy mixing on them and i think my mixing is better on them, CDJ's for me are a tad too sensitive for me, and i just dont like the feel compared to Turntables. Also with Serato you can flick the input switch to play "normal vinyl" and flick it back over to Line to play mp3's through the timecoded vinyl.

Serato allows for the turntable feel whilst playing the latest MP3s. Making doubles is a doddle on Serato too.

TECHNICS TECHNICS TECHNICS people!

As an aside, i feel that CDJ's are killing dance music. The very grass roots of dance music have been taken away...White labels! With CDJ's (and the ability to literally burn and play the day you made it) it's now all about people making their own mashups, thus oversaturated the market with them. Its pretty obvious the quality of dance music was better 8 years ago compared to today, and the absence of vinyl is no coincidence in this factor. I could go on, but this is just what i feel.

Agreed. I'm rather proud of myself in talking my Dad out of buying one. He has a high quality turntable and just needed a lead and CD-Ex which you can download for free. Someone is seriously at it with these USB TTs.

Oh really, why are they crap, I wasn't gonna buy one, my sister has one already I would just borrow it. I have alot of vinyl and it would take a very long time to record it into the PC and out again in the same way I done the mix the other week, as I used a mini - disc player to record that, then the PC then burnt to CD that 'd take so long for records. Phew actually thinking about that it would take ages, although I could then borrow all my friends vinyls too, the ones who have tunes I always was jealous of them having. Hmmmmmm!! I'm liking this idea.

Why is a USB TT crap then, do you mean the sound quality, coz actually my decks sound ok, the needles are good'ns!!

Whats the lead called I need to do that then?

Basically I see the cost of downloads and vinyl and how little up to date tunage I have due to the cost and thought this might be a better way to pick up on my old hobby again!! They CD way would take up less room too, wouldn't it.

Edited by Number 2 fan

Be aware my lassie number 2 that it takes a careful ear, hours and hours of time, and an impregnable wall of patience to digitize your vinyl properly.

I think I know someone who would take over that job for me and probably do it better once I got started on it, same someone who is importing samples onto Ableton alot of the time atm!

Handy, tut I'm in two minds again now after reading Krumps reply.................I kinda agree, I do love decks and vinyl.........sigh!??? :wacko:

I have to agree with Mr Krump's opinion on mashups. I didn't really get back into dance music (after a break of like 2 & a half years) until this year and aside from a few absolute gems from the likes of Mike Walker, Mr Ross, Christian Hann & Katsarov (oh & This Is Silence (Myon Collision) which I really like yet so many seem to hate) the majority of bootlegs & mashups i've heard this year have been dire. I miss the days of obtaining bootlegs & rare tracks on vinyl & the exclusivity of owning them at the time (and now they've become a bit rarer) such as Azure's track Sunset & Dj Elite's That Fuct Camera amongst others. I personally like the move towards MP3's being the norm but there is something about the feel & response of vinyl that can't be replicated, not to mention having a physical vinyl to own & make room for in your box. I'm using a couple of Reloop RMP-2 CD turntables (I highly recommend them for anyone on a budget) but I was tempted to get a pair of 1210's & Serato Scratch but I don't have a laptop so it just wouldn't have been practical (not to mention portable). Before my upgrade to CD's i'd been using a pair of Home Mix belt drive turntables :blush: (y'know those ones you used to be able to get in the Argos catalogue that any sound-of-mind person wouldn't even consider for their HiFi let alone dj'ing).

Whether or not we miss those days, they are gone though! They wont return. Vinyl may stick around and I am glad I own some of the tunes I own and some of our records aren't available to download, but so much is, and it's cheaper.

There are some really awesome tunes about just now too, I really wanna get onto it all again, i have lost touch somewhat for a while.

Yeah true & it's a real shame. In a way it's a shame the hybrid turntables or systems like Serato Scratch didn't take off as the industry standard because I think if that were the case some of the exlusivity of owning the rarer tracks would have been maintained. I think it's sad that there will be a generation of dj's growing up that will never use vinyl & will probably never slip-cue in their lives. My old decks were really (really really) crap (they skipped & jumped at nothing & couldn't hold a remotely consistent speed if they tried) & they've taught me a level of control with vinyl that can never be learned with CD turntables.

Edited by Tim451

I myself happy with cd's and playing the odd piece of my many vinyls occasionally, I dont like the whole computer djing let alone using a laptop with serato,

That said, I think though, going from vinyl to cd's when theres the option of serato keeping the whole vinyl experience alive in a way is a good option to have now if your unsure of using CD's the whole feel of it and taking the big leap

If Serato broke through big at the time of the decent pioneers being introduced who knows what I'd maybe saying now!

i would strongly recommend Serato Scratch / Tracktor Scratch. I'm not that keen on CDJ's. I mean, the technology is awesome, but for me, Technics still (after 10 years of me using them) come through. I enjoy mixing on them and i think my mixing is better on them, CDJ's for me are a tad too sensitive for me, and i just dont like the feel compared to Turntables. Also with Serato you can flick the input switch to play "normal vinyl" and flick it back over to Line to play mp3's through the timecoded vinyl.

Serato allows for the turntable feel whilst playing the latest MP3s. Making doubles is a doddle on Serato too.

TECHNICS TECHNICS TECHNICS people!

As an aside, i feel that CDJ's are killing dance music. The very grass roots of dance music have been taken away...White labels! With CDJ's (and the ability to literally burn and play the day you made it) it's now all about people making their own mashups, thus oversaturated the market with them. Its pretty obvious the quality of dance music was better 8 years ago compared to today, and the absence of vinyl is no coincidence in this factor. I could go on, but this is just what i feel.

HEAR HEAR HEAR!!!!

I just found the reason why i shouldn't sell my 1210's for CDJ's... had forgotten how much i love those obscure whitelabels one could only find by cratediggin' at the local import vinylshop for hours.

Thanks Mr. Krump.

on a sidenote... i have Final Scratch 2, and it still works flawlessly after 4 years... the new version would be pretty sweet though for an upgrade, but it's expensive :|

hm, i must admit though, i like some of the features theres on CDJs... looping & stuff... and i know it's the future, which makes it enevitable to do the switch at some point... just not yet for me

Serato not the industry standard!?! I have seen this being used in pretty much every club i goto these days - Even the chavvy ritzy sorts in town. You CAN use it with CDJ's or Technics. In my opinion every DJ will be playing like this in about 2 years.

Fuzzy, Serato does allow you to loop and chop, as does Traktor. Pretty much, everything a CDJ can do, Serato and Traktor can do and more.

I've had CDJs and while technically they are good, is the Technics that i've still got and still enjoy.

In reply to this thread, I am from a Technic's foundation ( Learnt my trade on em) For over 12 years I've had my 1210's and they still work today, Worn out a fair few neddles mind! LOL.

Anyway never did I feel I'd ever go digital but Low and behold 3 or so Years ago bought myself a CDJ1000, Wooow, Best Purchase I ever made so good infact I had to get another a month later.

I haven't tried anyother form of mixing but have heard nothing but good reviews from the likes of Traktor and Serato, like with CD's!! NEVER SAY NEVER, its more what you feel more comfortable using in the end of the day!

Maybe oneday I'll develope into using one of the others, but for now its 1210's and CDJ's all the way for me.

Guess its each to there own weapon of choice ^_^

thats why Serato is the future. Just slap the usb lead into your computer, and you can play downloaded tracks from beatport etc through the timecoded vinyl on your 'tables. You get the best of both worlds. The software is as solid as a rock too. I've never had it crash on me or never heard it crash in a club.,

You are making a good advert for it I have to say, I'm certainly not up for totally digitalizing anything now.

Thats the whole point of it though. People who wanna still use Technics (or cdjs for that matter), but be able to play the latest tunes, it makes total sense. I bet Jules will start using either this or Traktor soon. He's already stated he's checked it out when the likes of Simon Patterson etc started to use it.

Yep, it does sond good, but for the amount of time on I get on the TTs now, it wouldn't be worth it. Totally agree it is the way forward though :)

yeah thats a good point also, but we all go to work to make our lives a bit better and what could be better than treating yourself to stuff like this.

I think Mr Krumps got it sorted!

It took a lot for me to make the switch to CDJs, Steve & I were always classed as the 'traiditionalists' for sticking with vinyl. However having changed I certainly don't look back, it's progress at the end of the day.

If Serato etc become the norm then fair enough but for me I prefer playing CDs at the moment, just a preference thing.