Trance Energy 2009

Thats a more achievable idea isnt it Tom lol. Not much good stuff around here (I assume so, could be wrong) and I can imagine myself criticising the DJ all night haha :P

Put the effort in lad :P Not that far via train or car

A festival is a good way to start off your 'clubbing' experience though to be honest. Festivals are always a great atmosphere even if the DJ's aren't particularly clubbing. You're always guaranteed a good day out.

With clubs, you always have brilliant nights where the music is great, the crowd is great, and nobody bothers you - and then you have crap nights where the DJ's are crap, the crowd consists of idiots, and people keep asking you if you want pills all night.

If you go on one of those bad nights, it might put you off going back in the future. I went to Tall Tree's in Yarm last month, and although the music was good, the crowd was shocking - and if that had been my first time clubbing, it might have put me off going again in the future.

London takes some beating for clubbing though - my best clubbing experiences were always at Turnmills or the Ministry of Sound.

London is indeed my favourite place to go clubbing. The nights I've had at ES are some of the best I've ever had. That said though I think you can gauge a crowd from various forums, for example DS in Leeds has one of the best crowds I've ever seen & you'll never hear a bad word about it, some other nights get slated via forums

With the exception of 'The Gallery' which was always good at Turnmills, and has continued to be good at the MoS, I think its the newer nights such as DS which are the way forward. They're hungry to succeed and are more 'in-touch' with the crowd.

Gods has been disappointing ever since it went monthly IMO, and i've been to more bad Gatecrasher nights over the last 3 years than good ones. I've learnt not to expect much from Gods or Crasher now to be honest.

I used to go to Gods every week (except when they did the polysexual nights) when it was on Fridays. I agree that the move to monthly & on Saturdays was a mistake, they lost so many of the regulars & even when I do attend now there are so few of the old crew that used to be there every week a few years ago.

I think monthly lineups for a night like Gods are a massive mistake as they almost always feel that they have to invest all the money on the same 'big' headliners every month, the old friday nights would ensure that at least once per month you'd get a night featuring some new talent & even on the big nights there would be maybe one headliner & then some younger DJs like O'Bir, Petrae Foy, Mike Smyth, Paul Thomas, Funkagenda & alike to check out.

I remember one month in '04 I went to Gods 3 weeks in a row & saw Armin, PvD & Marco V (when he was good) on the seperate nights but the fact that they had other new interesting DJs instead of the same old faces they trot out now meant that there was something new to enjoy.

It's impossible now for them to commit to a 'Future Gods' night too (unless it's in the Nitrogen room) as they put all their eggs in the one basket. At least PaSSion is taking the time to invest in newer talent & of the really big promotions it seems to be the most pro-active in giving younger guys a chance, the others just have Ferry, Armin & PvD on rotation with others like SvD, Above & Beyond & alike

I agree entirely about Gods. Weekly was perhaps too often, but monthly is not often enough. Fortnightly would be ideal - with perhaps one 'big' line-up each month consisting of Armin and co, and then perhaps another one with lesser-profile DJ's such as Tyas, Marcel Woods, Martin Roth, Oliver Smith, etc.

I don't see the point in them having those once-per-year Future Gods events because none of the DJ's that they have playing there ever go back - they had Martin Roth there three years ago as a 'Future God', yet he's not been back since - and neither has anyone else off that same line-up. Last year they had John Askew - and he's not been back since either.

There's not enough variety now - Jules hasn't been there for nearly two years, Eddie has only been there once, yet Above & Beyond were there in October doing a three hour set, and now they're back there again in March. Its them that should be there once a year because their sets never change - if you've heard them once, you've heard them a hundred times.

Things have improved a bit since Steve Arnold got involved there - there's a few new faces cropping up now, and there's a few more on the way. I spoke to Steve about Gods in November when he played for us at Inferno and he said NOBODY in the Gods office liked Trance - and nobody knew what was happening within the Trance scene - so Steve has talked them into him having more of an input there - and he's been asking who people want on forums too, so its nice that finally things could change.

Gods is on my to do list!!! Has been for quite a few years! LOL Might have left it too long now!

Have you not been before? You're not missing much to be honest - its just a bland square 'box' room (literally), with a raised DJ booth and a bit of a balcony over the top. There isn't much of an atmosphere either. Probably one of the most 'dull' venues you'll ever come across and the bouncers have real ego issues too.

Its a shame it only a 20 minute drive from my house - of all the clubs to have locally, I get lumbered with Gods :(

Have you not been before? You're not missing much to be honest - its just a bland square 'box' room (literally), with a raised DJ booth and a bit of a balcony over the top. There isn't much of an atmosphere either. Probably one of the most 'dull' venues you'll ever come across and the bouncers have real ego issues too.

Its a shame it only a 20 minute drive from my house - of all the clubs to have locally, I get lumbered with Gods :(

Yeah well there is nothing within an HOUR of my house so think yourself lucky!! I only have Gods on my to do because I haven't done it, I'm not that bothered thses days, maybe if Jules was on there*

As I don't go out very much nowadays. I tend to only go where Jules is anyway, garanteed to enjoy it, as it may be ages til the next night out!

Yeah well there is nothing within an HOUR of my house so think yourself lucky!! I only have Gods on my to do because I haven't done it, I'm not that bothered thses days, maybe if Jules was on there*

As I don't go out very much nowadays. I tend to only go where Jules is anyway, garanteed to enjoy it, as it may be ages til the next night out!

I'm not that lucky because most of the Gods line-ups dont appeal to me now. I only went once last year :( Passion is fairly close (about 30 mins away) - but i've only been there once for some reason. Nice club though.

Apart from that, MoS is probably the place I go to most now - its an hour by train, and nice and cheap to get in. Its just their drinks prices which are a bit OTT :D

I'm not that lucky because most of the Gods line-ups dont appeal to me now. I only went once last year :( Passion is fairly close (about 30 mins away) - but i've only been there once for some reason. Nice club though.

Apart from that, MoS is probably the place I go to most now - its an hour by train, and nice and cheap to get in. Its just their drinks prices which are a bit OTT :D

I don't care I don't drink! :) One coke maybe 2 ALL night! That and getting in free makes for cheap clubbing!

Can't get in free there though, could at the turnmills, if Jules was on.

I don't care I don't drink! :) One coke maybe 2 ALL night! That and getting in free makes for cheap clubbing!

Can't get in free there though, could at the turnmills, if Jules was on.

Really? I thought i was the only clubber left that didn't drink or take drugs lol. I only drink water when i'm clubbing. Very occasionally, if I need some flase confidence, i'll drink about 3 bottles of smirnoff ice - but thats about it for me.

I used to get into most clubs and festivals free until I closed my website down :( This year is gonna be expensive for me :(

Really? I thought i was the only clubber left that didn't drink or take drugs lol. I only drink water when i'm clubbing. Very occasionally, if I need some flase confidence, i'll drink about 3 bottles of smirnoff ice - but thats about it for me.

I used to get into most clubs and festivals free until I closed my website down :( This year is gonna be expensive for me :(

Ahem I dont drink ;) That's all I was saying.

open ya website again then

Edited by Number 2 fan

Ahem I dont drink ;) That's all I was saying.

open ya website again then

LOL I don't do anything beginning with D - drink, drugs or dance ;)

I'd love to, but it took up far too much time and I got sick of arsey emails from PR companies too - even though they were advertising for free anyway.

I disagree with the comments about Air, I really like the venue. The booth is excellently situated & the balcony is a good place to chill & watch the DJ at work, watching from the side of the booth kinda inspired me to get decks in the first place.

The Nitrogen room is a cool second room, got a nice big dancefloor but also a seating area for you to chill out for a bit. Nice big bars which you can get served at easily. I used to love the vibe in there when it was weekly as you'd see the same people over & over each week, building up some sort of raport. That atmosphere has been lost a little but I still rate the club

I disagree with the comments about Air, I really like the venue. The booth is excellently situated & the balcony is a good place to chill & watch the DJ at work, watching from the side of the booth kinda inspired me to get decks in the first place.

The booth is the only thing I like really - the fact that you can stand at the side and watch the DJ's. I still the the overall main room is a bit bland though - its just a dark square room with no atmosphere any more. The soundsystem seems worn out now too - the last few times i've been, the sound has seemed really poor compared to in the past - even though its still the same system. I think its been abused perhaps once too often now.

Compared to other clubs, I just think that Gods is probably one of the dullest i've been too.

I think that they went with the dark room to try & create some kinda warehouse type vibe to it, the lasers in there are still excellent though & I think with it being so sparse they work better when they do come on.

Some of the best venues I've been to or played in have the less is more feel & work really well because of it.

The system could do with being upgraded, when it first came in it was something else, absolutely amazing but now it isn't as mind-blowing

I think that they went with the dark room to try & create some kinda warehouse type vibe to it, the lasers in there are still excellent though & I think with it being so sparse they work better when they do come on.

Some of the best venues I've been to or played in have the less is more feel & work really well because of it.

The system could do with being upgraded, when it first came in it was something else, absolutely amazing but now it isn't as mind-blowing

Yeah I prefer the darker venues - and ones with a bit of shape and weird bits branching off here and there - I think thats why I liked Turnmills and MoS so much - they're just dark rooms with odd bits branching off here and there. Particularly Turnmills - you needed a map to get around there.

As for the soundsystem. Gods have only got JBL speakers now - and they're fairly average. Its all bass and not much else. A Funktion One system in that kind of room would sound amazing.

Gods are being left behind a bit now, I think thats the problem - places like Passion, Tall Trees, MoS, etc have all upgraded their lighting or sound systems over the last few years, whereas Gods don't seem to be bothering. I'd heard that Air operated at a loss in 2007 though, and apparently last year wasn't much better - so I think they're struggling financially in Birmingham. Coincidentally, 2007 was when it started going monthly! If the rumours are true, the profits from Global Gathering funded air in 2007.

Edited by Briggsy