PaSSion presents 'Nu Passion'

• 2 weeks later...
Can't make this one. Live really close to the Emporium but I go on holiday that weekend. Shame :rubbish: .

No worries mate :)

Not long left until this event now, everything's coming together nicely & hopefully I'll be using the set for my show in a future edition ;)

I would have come along to this, but i'm at a mates engagement do unfortunately :( Have a good one anyway mate!

Cheers mate, have got a bevvy of new tunes to unleash so should be a fun event. I'll endeavour to file my usual comprhensive report sometime on Sunday/Monday next week

Setting off for my hotel near Leicester around 4 to (hopefully) avoid football traffic. I really hope that the adverse wintery weather doesn't affect attendance too much.

Will have a report & what not up at some point tomorrow too :)

Well, what a fantastic event this was. I'm not really up to writing a full report right now as I'm really feeling deathly ill (my voice has gone completely & my head is throbbing) but I'll get one done later.

Got some cool pics too so will get a couple of them sorted.

Still feeling rough but the paracetamol seems to be kicking in so here goes...

Set off around 5ish from sunny Sedgley for the 50mins or so journey to our hotel on the outskirts of Leicester (around 3 miles from Coalville), got about half way there & realised that I'd forgotten some tickets I had been keeping for friends who were meeting me there. Was none too pleased but after the wasted hour we were back on track & a non-eventful drive down the M6 & M42 had us there in no time.

I'll spare you details of our check-in & what not but we literally had time to freshen up, get changed & head out to nearby Coalville. Not sure how many of you have been to PaSSion before but it really is testament to the promotion team (formerly JFK alone & now with the able assistance of Genix) that they've been going for very nearly 14 years! It's especially remarkable when you consider that Coalville itself is a tiny old mining town which one could probably navigate from one side to the other in about 10mins.

We pitched up in the Weatherspoons pub opposite the Emporium & had a few drinks, waiting for the rest of my party of friends to arrive. I was extremely fortunate that people from all over had decided to travel along to see me play but was starting to get a little nervy as the minutes ticked by & there was no sign. Thankfully though everyone arrived & we had time for some chat & banter before I hit the club around 8.45.

I was met at the door by resident DJ Genix & we had a brief chat (which included my congratulations on his new track 'Copius Cain' being named Tune Of The Week on ASOT amongst other things) before I made my way to the booth to get familiar with things prior to my opening 9 - 10pm set.

It really isn't an overstatement to stress what a fantastic club The Emporium is, the main room is totally unqiue & bloody massive to boot. In the week preceeding the event I'd shown a few friends some pics of Tiesto, PvD & alike rocking PaSSion & I was most excited to be taking my place in the same legendary DJ booth. It was also a great pleasure to have the use of a DJM 800 (Pioneer) mixer which I've only had the chance to use a few times before & have been most impressed with.

Playing the opening set obviously had a few different connotations, on the plus side I had free reign to set things up exactly as I wanted & to create the vibe from which the rest of the night would follow, on the negative side obviously I was on very early & to begin with the club took it's time to fill. Most of the DJs on the night were booked to play back-to-back sets as the goal of the night was to showcase as many up & coming DJs as possible, I don't wish to sound in any way arrogant or smug but I was delighted to have a set to myself & was more than happy to open the night in exchange for this privilege.

I'm saving my tracklist from the night as I'll be featuring the set in it's entirity on The Progressive Showcase in a couple of weeks time but I endeavoured to kick off the night with my usual blend of all things progressive, throwing in a few brand new tracks I'd received earlier in the week alongside some established favourites & a couple of older tracks which went down particularly well. It was pleasing to see the vast dancefloor fill as my set went on & by half way thru it was pretty much heaving, I was delighted with the response that my set generated & cannot emphasise enough my appreciation to everyone that came along to support me.

Earlier in the week I'd begun to feel slightly under the weather with a heavy cold developing, of course there was no way this was gonna stop me playing at PaSSion but it did affect my ability to throw some shapes to the DJs who proceeded to play after I'd finished. I immediately handed over to Will Watson & Ben Alonzi who were playing the 10 - 11 slot, Ben played the same Nu PaSSion night as me in October & we've spoken online a few times since so it was good to catch up with him personally & we had a good chat in the booth. It was my first time meeting Will but I have to say that between them they were excellent, taking things on from where I left it & really cementing the good time vibe of the evening, my personal highlight was hearing Markus Schulz 'The New World' which Ben played towards the end of the set.

After meeting a few new people & having a chat to some of the other DJs who were due to play later on my voice was really struggling (as you'd expect due to trying to speak in a very loud club). Indeed during a conversation with Matt Farmer it went altogether & no amount of Red Stripe was going to bring it back to life. I soldiered on for a while enjoying the one hour set from Kelly Jay (who'd travelled all the way from snowy Devon) & managed to raise enough vocal strength to have a final talk with a few others offering my apologies for having to cry off so early (it was around 12.30), I grabbed a quick word with both Genix & JFK before quietly leaving to crash out in the hotel with a splitting headache & a completely nackered voice box.

Illness aside though I had a fantastic time & really cannot get over how refreshing it is to see such a huge clubbing brand as PaSSion taking the steps to put on such events, giving younger DJs the platform to play at an establishment of such notoriety.

I'll get a few pics up in a minute ;)