The "lets get to know our fellow members" thread....

Briggsy

I stand by you on this one Tim. When a tune or producer I like becomes immensely popular I get turned off by them because you feel like you were one of the first to have discovered it, yet you are recognised as one of the masses who came across it on a popular radio show or music channel.

My personal example is that I used to be quite a fan of Tiesto, but now if you scan Myspace profiles or talk to people you can always hear them saying 'Im a big fan of Tiesto'. He is so popular now, but with another crowd.

It is rather hard to explain, but its just how it feels for me. I don't like to be a part of a crowd ... and admittedly, like Judge Mental says, with Trance DJ's we all tend to play the same tunes from time to time, but thats because we all enjoy them.

It's when people who aren't exactly into dance get into the same tunes, thats when my love begins to crumble and I search for something else.

Precisely. You've put it into better words than I could Simon.

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If I like something and it happens to go number 1 three months later after discovering it or first hearing it It doesnt bother me, I dont listen to any daytime commercial or national radio stations anymore so theres no chance of it being killed for me or overplayed simply, why worry f*** everyone else

Edited by JasonB

Its a fair point that hearing a tune all the time on the radio etc does ruin it for you, but to be honest by the time any tune has ever got that far for me its probably ran its course for me in general. If its good enough and actually has a shelf life it shouldn't bother you and a couple years down the line it'll be just as good.

In my opinion there's just never been that much quality trance with a decent shelf life full stop. I know its a rash claim, but its the reason why trance djs always have to have the freshest tunes, everyone is looking for new good tunes, and there simply aren't enough out there!

Thats why its nice for me to be able to rummage around for old decent stuff instead of new stuff, that you really can't do to the same extent with trance, hence the reason why you get so many "2000 mix" "2002 re-edit" "2006 haven't heard this in a while mix" etc etc.

If chavs in their pimped up Corsas start liking it, then surely its the music you ask questions about, not the people!

Do you know what's weird here is that I agree with BOTH sides of the argument. It is annoying when a popular chav music channel start playing a tune that you thought you were the only lover of, and THERE ARE poeple who will only like a tune because a radio station or TV channel is playing it, namely teenagers generally, I've seen this first hand as my daughter and her friends sometimes complain about music I play, then they hear or see a particualr tune on BUBBLE HITS and they suddenly love it for all it's careful radio editing and added vocals etc.

And although I agree it's being a "dance music snob" to start disliking a tune just because you heard it go by in a souped up Ford Fiesta it does still have an effect. There's an urge to dis-associate yourself from people you do NOT want to be seen as or with.

But I think that a more mature attitude would be to say you like it for what it is, and how it is and couldn't give a toss about who else was playing it.

Even though this can be hard to do.

Also my Dad used to do Boxing and he could kick your Dads a*se out the window!!! :)

And Chavvy is double VVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVV!!!!!!!

Edited by Number 2 fan

If I love a track I don't mind hearing it on the radio (Although if I was a proper DJ and found a track I adore I would like to be one of the the first to play it, I can see it would be easy to get jealous if others get there first) and tracks are precious..you might get bored of it if it is overplayed, but then months later or more you could bring it back out and mix it in a new way :)

Seb Fontaine was superb in his Trance days - but I can understand where the mundane tag came from with his house style - towards the end of his Radio 1 career, he started playing a lot of dull House music. He went a bit like Fergie - started off really well, and then just went downhill all of a sudden when the music style changed.

I agree Briggsy, Seb's began to play very dull music which all seemed to sound the same.

If I like something and it happens to go number 1 three months later after discovering it or first hearing it It doesnt bother me.

Same here! It annoys me when people go on about how good a tune is for months, and then as soon as it becomes commercial, they suddenly ditch it and brand it as cheesy. I remember when Jules first started caning Darude - Sandstorm and Zombie Nation - Kernkraft 400 - everyone loved these! Kernkraft 400 in particular always got a massive response - yet as soon as it got signed up by a label and then got to number 1 in the charts, all those DJ's that had been playing it suddenly wanted nothing to do with it and branded it cheesy.

There's a difference between cheesy and commercial. Cheesy is DJ Sammy, Lasgo, etc. Commercial is when a good tune gets recognised as such, and then perhaps sells more copies than people expected and then gets a bit too much over-exposure.

I won't play cheese, but I will play commercial. I play because I love the music, not to boost my ego. If I like it, i'll play it - whether it be some underground tune that nobody has heard, or a tune that's number 1 in the charts. If its good, it gets played - simple.

I LOVE DARUDE - SANDSTORM!!!

First time I heard it Jules was playing it in Brighton, it was caned by all my fave DJ's that summer, reminds me of sun and dancing and Jules all my favourite things!!

Cafe del mar is another chav crossover tune, but undeniabley a brilliant work of art!

if it crosses over it crosses over, you can't stop it because ultimately its the sign of a good tune usually. I personally have no issue with tunes crossing over, but as Briggsy said, there are certain people who do for some reason. The whole Zombie Nation thing, i particularly remember Dave Clarke being a victim of this. He caned it aswell and even remixed it, then as soon as it hit number one or Judge Jules starts to play it he decalares it cheesy and something he would play.

It does highly vex me though when people call a tune cheesy just because - shock - it's got a nice melody to it!

As for Cafe Del Mar, this is one the one tune that i just cannot understand why is it so big and so revered. It's not bad, but it doesn't really jump out at me - never has. For me personally, this is probably the most overrated dance tune around.

I like it, or I did like it alot when I first heard it in my walkman on my way to work, I thought it was amazing and promptly played it to everyone I knew that day and told them it was amazing and listen to the breakdown ... I don't really play it now though, got a little bored with it. But this reminds me of something that I wanted to ask Jason or anyone else who knows, I have a version of Cafe del Mar that is on a Tall Paul compilation CD called "Largin' it" from 1996 on HOOJ CHOONS! Now it isn't at all like the trance classic, but does follow the same pattern on notes!!!

Where can I get this, I don't have any other info, no mix name or anything!?

It does highly vex me though when people call a tune cheesy just because - shock - it's got a nice melody to it!

Exactly! I once came under criticism on a forum for playing too many "big" tunes - but in reality, there's not many "lesser-profile" tunes that I like. The big tunes are the catchy tunes - and I like catchy tunes - and if some of them are regarded as commercial, then I don't really care. The "lesser-profile" tunes are usually the ones that don't really go anywhere or just seem a bit bland and not very appealing. I've never really seen the point in DJ's playing loads of average, filler tunes.

As for Cafe Del Mar, this is one the one tune that i just cannot understand why is it so big and so revered. It's not bad, but it doesn't really jump out at me - never has. For me personally, this is probably the most overrated dance tune around.

I think its because its so simple, yet so effective. It just builds, has a massive breakdown, then leads out towards the intro - simple. The breakdown is really good, but the rest is nothing special - but for some reason, its always one of those tunes i'll mention when someone asks me my top ten tunes of all time. However, it doesn't have the same impact as a lot of other classics simply because its been over-played since it ever came out over 10 years ago - even now, you can go out on a Saturday night and hear it being played regularly - so its killed it off a bit. Most classics have that "wow" factor when you hear it out again - but Cafe Del Mar has lost that now - its now 'just another tune' to me when I hear it out.

Edited by Briggsy

I've never come across that. I've never heard of it either to be honest. Perhaps it was one of those tunes that was signed up by Hooj Choons at the time, but never actually got released.

Hooj Choons were notorious for the cash-flow problems - they relied on one release hitting x amount of sales in order to fund the next one, so if they were short of cash, that may have been on they sacrificed.

Ask Tall Paul - he's quite approachable so i'm sure he'd be able to let you know more about it.

I think something like Scooter and 2 unlimited is actual cheese!! But aparently now cheese is anything that's had radio one air time.

Dead on! That was what I was trying to say earlier - cheese once upon a time was a cringeworthy tune. Now, a cheesy tune is something that has gone on to big things and been caned by the masses.

Whe Eric Prydz - Pjanooo came out, everyone was raving on about how good it was - now, even that is "cheesy". Its funny that everyone has ditched it now that its hit the big time - its suddenly become 'uncool' to play it. There's too many DJ's with big ego's now.

Well there's alot more people into it all these days that's all, I think.

Once upon a time I'd be out clubbing and not know a single tune being played, would have to ask the DJ and then try and remember it, could only hear it on KISS FM if you were lucky, would have to phone my friend when I heard it being played, now it's everywhere.

Scooter is s*** whoever plays it though!

I have a version of Cafe del Mar that is on a Tall Paul compilation CD called "Largin' it" from 1996 on HOOJ CHOONS! Now it isn't at all like the trance classic, but does follow the same pattern on notes!!!

I had this as well but I can't remember what mix it is, it doesn't say on the case. http://www.discogs.com/artist/Energy+52 theres the lot of them, obviously its one of the mixes pre-96.

I'll always kinda credit 'Cafe Del Mar' with getting me into 'trance', it was the first real track of it's type that I'd heard & I loved it, I brought the Ibiza Annual '98 based almost entirely upon hearing that one tune on the advert, this compilation being my first it was a big step at the time.

I still find it an incredibly good tune but yes it has been slightly over-played.

Chavs!

Scooter is also 'Ratty' though - so they're not all bad. Sunrise was superb!

Damn I never knew that. Agreed, Sunrise was a brilliant track. I was browsing on HTFR a while back though when I came across a track released by Scooter which was actually a very solid trance track (nice dark driving feel to it minus any of the typical Scooter cheese). I was pretty shocked. Then again Slipmatt's 'Space' was an incredibly good trancer.

Damn I never knew that. Agreed, Sunrise was a brilliant track. I was browsing on HTFR a while back though when I came across a track released by Scooter which was actually a very solid trance track (nice dark driving feel to it minus any of the typical Scooter cheese). I was pretty shocked. Then again Slipmatt's 'Space' was an incredibly good trancer.

yeah, not everything Scooter do is cheese - they also updated Sunrise a few years ago with a Scooter remix, which was really good aswell - not at all cheesy.

I just wish they'd steer clear of the Scooter alias when they're doing 'proper' Trance tunes. They should use the Scooter alias for the cheesey nonsense, and Ratty for the proper stuff.

I'll always kinda credit 'Cafe Del Mar' with getting me into 'trance', it was the first real track of it's type that I'd heard & I loved it, I brought the Ibiza Annual '98 based almost entirely upon hearing that one tune on the advert, this compilation being my first it was a big step at the time.

I still find it an incredibly good tune but yes it has been slightly over-played.

Ditto for me on that one. This was the only recording featuing CDM at the time so I bought the Annual and that's what got me started on Jules etc. I've always preferred the Boy George disc slightly more, the spinback when mixing into Greece 2000 is pure class!