The "lets get to know our fellow members" thread....

Briggsy

I do think above & beyond club sets look all the same from tracklistings Ive seen its all anjuna promotion and 98% of the time nothing but, I dont buy every anjuna release for example Ive never bought a sunny lax or daniel kandi own production on anjuna but have bought some Kandi remixes .

I do agree that Anjuna could branch out a bit with what they sign

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

whilst i dont like their brand of trance, what you have to understand is that this is their sound. It's what they do and there is clearly a market for it. I mean, they've done what they probably set out to do, make money and have a style of music associated with them.

If you've not heard it, just listen to an Above & Beyond set - 9 tunes out of 10 in their set will be from Anjunabeats, and a tenner says that one of them will be Alone Tonight because they've been playing that since the Battle Of Hastings began.

Can't stand "Alone Tonight" its dire.

However l must admit l do like some of their stuff even though l'm not a girl aged 18. :P

Edited by Chrissie Brown

Name: Tim James

Occupation: Uni student & part time deli counter employee at Sainsbury's (god don't even get me started on Sainsbury's)

Qualifications: A levels, currently studying for a BSc (Hons) in Computer Games Development

Hobbies/Interests: DJ'ing, producing, gaming & level design, chilling out with mates, my girlfriend, etc

Favourite sports: Paintball (only played once & I loved it), pool, snooker, etc

MUSIC RELATED

Favourite type of dance music: Energetic melodic trance, hard driving tech trance, the harder breed of funky techno, a little bit of the more techy / trancey hard house, electro, etc

Favourite non-dance music: 80's, rock, metal, emo, indie, etc

Which DJ(s) got you into DJ'ing/clubbing: I heard Seb Fontaine on Radio 1 & got into the stuff he was playing & then slowly migrated to Dave Pearce (before he got too commercial) & Judge Jules (of course)

More recent favourite DJs: It's more about the music than any particular DJ for me. If they're playing music that does something for me i'll listen to them.

Which DJ(s) do you dislike with a passion: Can't really think of any. Any that play chavy stuff I guess.

Favourite label: S'all about the music not the label

Most hated label: ^

ABOUT YOU

I'm a pretty chilled out, easy going, friendly guy. I've got a real random sense of humour which may scare some people at first haha but people get used to it. I love chilling out & listening to music & i love spending time with my girlfriend & hanging out with my mates. I can't really think of anything else to say.

WERE YOU SEPERATED AT BIRTH FROM A CELEBRITY? (ie, do you look like anyone famous)

Sadly not haha

NAME ONE THING YOU'RE GOOD AT

Screwing stuff up... that's a biggie. I'm pretty good with computers & i'm good at making alcoholic beverages disappear if the occasion demands. I'm also absolutely amazing at failing to give up smoking :/

TELL US SOMETHING ABOUT YOU THAT NOT MANY PEOPLE KNOW

Well anyone who knows me knows a fair deal about me to be honest. Really can't think of anything to put here :wacko: It's that time of the night haha!

This whole Seb Mundane tag Mixmag gave him in er cant remember when 200-1001 time was a bit cruel, now he may be crap well in the sense that the music he plays I dont go for but I did like his radio 1 show and his essential mixes, like Tong though over time he moved away from playing and trance and progressive at all and concentrated on just house and some breaks.

I bought Alone Tonight on promo vinyl at the time ha ha also bought tri-state signed by jono and tony, great album

I agree that Above & Beyonds sound is quite light and fluffy theers hardly balls to it but it cant be all balls n all well not for me anyway!

Edited by JasonB

He was a fab housey DJ in like 1994-96 time, then I moved on a bit, but I liked him alot and again he's quite a nice bloke, bit chubby but nice! :) He's not my style anymore, but I still have a fondness for him, he was responsible for some quality tunes I like from back in the day. Therefore some wicked nights out too.....

One tune being

Pamela Fernandez - kickin in the beat

taiko - echo drop

subliminal cuts - le voile de soliel

all tunes I love because of Seb!

Edited by Number 2 fan

I was really into house when I first got into dance music & I really liked the stuff Seb was playing but over time my tastes moved over to harder, techier, trancey stuff & the stuff Jules was playing was perfect. Back in like 2003 / 2004 when jules was caning classics like F&W's You will Understand along with a load of stuff from ID&T like Symsonic, Sunday Afternoon, etc & the odd techno track like D.A.V.E The Drummer's Hydraulix 17 (Side A) I was completely obsessed & never missed a show. Nowadays I feel Jules plays a bit too much progressive stuff for my liking & sometimes I wish he'd go back to the harder edged, darker style stuff he was playing back in '03 / '04.

As for my thoughts on Above & Beyond, they've had some truly classic tracks like Alone Tonight & Satellite (vocals may be a tad cheesey but my god the underlying music is amazing). In recent years they've just been churning out run of the mill "floaty melodic" trance. I'm not a huge fan of vocal trance any more as it is & the stuff they keep putting out has pretty much put me off completely. I gues their music just doesn't fit with my style any more as I prefer to play tech trance laced with a few peak time hands-in-the-air trancers & a couple of driving techno tracks to break it up a bit (oh, & a couple of good bootlegs thrown in there to season).

Satellite (vocals may be a tad cheesey but my god the underlying music is amazing).

Nooooooooo, thats the tune I despise the most out of everything they've done. Its unbelievably cheesy. This is exactly what I mean when I say that they can get way with churning out cheesy nonsense - yet cheesy artists such as Ian van Dahl get crucified by the same fans that like A&B.

Another tune that I really despise which was massively over-rated was Motorcycle - As The Rush Comes. I really don't get they hype behind that tune. Its an average production with a cheesy vocal.

Seb Fontaine was superb in his Trance days - but I can understand where the mundane tag came from with his house style - towards the end of his Radio 1 career, he started playing a lot of dull House music. He went a bit like Fergie - started off really well, and then just went downhill all of a sudden when the music style changed.

Nooooooooo, thats the tune I despise the most out of everything they've done. Its unbelievably cheesy. This is exactly what I mean when I say that they can get way with churning out cheesy nonsense - yet cheesy artists such as Ian van Dahl get crucified by the same fans that like A&B.

Another tune that I really despise which was massively over-rated was Motorcycle - As The Rush Comes. I really don't get they hype behind that tune. Its an average production with a cheesy vocal.

The vocals were cheesy but I always liked the music.

As The Rush Comes was a good track in my view but when it started appearing on all the music channels & the "oh I love dance music I listen to basshunter" types started listening to it the small amount of credibility it had vanished.

Seb Fontaine was superb in his Trance days - but I can understand where the mundane tag came from with his house style - towards the end of his Radio 1 career, he started playing a lot of dull House music. He went a bit like Fergie - started off really well, and then just went downhill all of a sudden when the music style changed.

That's true about Fergie!

it started appearing on all the music channels & the "oh I love dance music I listen to basshunter" types started listening to it the small amount of credibility it had vanished.

:o :o :o

What a ridiculous and small minded statement!!

What gives you the right to enjoy it more than that collective of sweeping generalisation types? Where do you draw the limit of who you allow to listen to your precious credible music? People don't like music just because its on tv, and music doesn't suddenly get less credible because of who listens to it, utter arrogant bulls***.

Half of the 'credible' trance over the years has been cheesy to the point of being almost laughable, but as it has been made by certain producers, or played by certain djs, its suddenly cool!

Don't get me wrong, I used to love lots of it back in the day, but I knew then and I still know now that the vast majority of trance classics are pretty much stilton.

I agree with your post in general mate & know exactly what you mean but you have to admit it does get a little annoying when MTV & the Box start playing your favourite tune.

It happens on a much bigger scale with bands, you discover them when no-one else knows then they explode & you feel a little less affection towards them, it's not something to condone but it happens.

The comment about 'i love dance music, i listen to basshunter' was a bit out of order though

I agree, and thats one of the reason my tastes changed over the years, I know for a fact that none of the stuff I play will ever be on MTV :D

Hope this doesn't come across as me just slating trance, but another reason I don't listen to it anymore is because all the djs play the same tunes to an extent. Really hate it when I hear a djs set and I can name 90% of the tunes and they've been in the top 100 on beatport.

I prefer going out and not hearing a single tune I know, or am ever likely to find, that for me is the magic in both clubbing and djing, which sadly trance no longer gives me!

:o :o :o

What a ridiculous and small minded statement!!

What gives you the right to enjoy it more than that collective of sweeping generalisation types? Where do you draw the limit of who you allow to listen to your precious credible music? People don't like music just because its on tv, and music doesn't suddenly get less credible because of who listens to it, utter arrogant bulls***.

Half of the 'credible' trance over the years has been cheesy to the point of being almost laughable, but as it has been made by certain producers, or played by certain djs, its suddenly cool!

Don't get me wrong, I used to love lots of it back in the day, but I knew then and I still know now that the vast majority of trance classics are pretty much stilton.

Perhaps I should clear up what I meant by my statement. There are a number of classic tracks that were caned by reputable dj's that suddenly grew a fan base with the more chavy types that listen to the likes of basshunter & all of that cheesy happy hardcore stuff (perhaps to some peoples tastes but not mine). I like my trance relatively underground & I don't like it when a good track gets snapped up by music channels & plastered all over the place because that takes away from the credibility of the track. Every time I hear As The Rush Comes now I get a mental image of the video that was plastered all over the music channels & it has somewhat tarnished my view of what was originally a good track. The same thing happened recently with the Klaas mix of Infinity having cheesy vocals added for radio play. It angers me when I see a car full of chavs drive past with a badly edited version of an extremely good track pumping out over the sub. This is of course my own opinion though so naturally some will dissagree.

I stand by you on this one Tim. When a tune or producer I like becomes immensely popular I get turned off by them because you feel like you were one of the first to have discovered it, yet you are recognised as one of the masses who came across it on a popular radio show or music channel.

My personal example is that I used to be quite a fan of Tiesto, but now if you scan Myspace profiles or talk to people you can always hear them saying 'Im a big fan of Tiesto'. He is so popular now, but with another crowd.

It is rather hard to explain, but its just how it feels for me. I don't like to be a part of a crowd ... and admittedly, like Judge Mental says, with Trance DJ's we all tend to play the same tunes from time to time, but thats because we all enjoy them.

It's when people who aren't exactly into dance get into the same tunes, thats when my love begins to crumble and I search for something else.