Stanton T.80 - HELP ripping vinyl :S

Neuro

I've just bought this deck to replace my old Numark that is completely broken, does anyone have them? I bought it primarily for ripping vinyl, though it's definitely gonna leave a large hole in my student budget (not that I adhere to them anyway really) :o

I'm trying to combine the best measures for ripping vinyl direct now, and without a mixer I'm obviously really struggling with getting the levels right (reducing the bass a touch is the most potent problem).

Can anyone suggest any software to fiddle around with what comes in into the Line In of my sound card? Or shouldn't I bother?

Also, the digital output on this could be so useful, if only I knew what lead to use! It's a single orange socket which I can connect apparently "...to any SPDIF in eqipped digital device". What does that mean?

Any help graciously appreciated, cheers!

is it a phono socket? my only experience of using spdif was connecting my dad's freeview box to the soundcard on my brother's computer, both had phono spdif sockets so just a normal phono lead (one half of a stereo pair...) did the job fine. does your sound card have digital in?

yeah it can, you just get digital data being sent down the lead instead of analogue audio. which means never connect a digital output to an analogue input, or you'll hear some very nasty noises and possibly break something (speakers, ears, brain etc :twisted: )

might be worth your while looking for a soundcard with spdif input. it's an additional expense but shouldn't be much compared to the deck, and should make ripping a piece of cake...

*edit* hehehe your message changed while i was replying to it :lol:

Those phono amps vary but I've got one for about £30, just does the job because the Hi-fi I have at uni has no Aux or Phono setting to choose.

Until that arrives I'm banking on a Coaxial audio cable I've just bought to digitally link the Stanton to my MiniDisc deck, which has a host of digital inputs and outputs on the back luckily! That's arriving Monday, so will let you know how it goes; hopefully at least I can create perfect digital rips to MiniDisc and then just do a simple Analog transfer to my PC to create the .wav files (to burn) or 320kbps mp3 files (to store) - not much will be lost from MiniDisc to PC, I've done it lots of times before under intense headphone scrutiny! :D

The Stanton T.80 by the way is absolutely great, perfect for ripping, the only annoyance I have is there is no adjustable anti-skate (the tone arm compensates on its own by falling outwards naturally) but with a bit more weight the needle holds when it's playing the end of a record :)

What digital options are on the back of the Stanton t80, just a coaxial out?

Also, sorry to be picky, but how can a digital signal be produced from what is effectively an analog signal (vinyl)? I have never understood that. And do you need a Phono Amp even if you're using this 'digital' transfer?

Sound quality is only as good as the cheapest bit of hardware you have, so you can have an amazing deck Traill but if the cart/stylus is not up to scratch then the sound quality will be poorer than you could possibly imagine :D

Sound quality is only as good as the cheapest bit of hardware you have, so you can have an amazing deck Traill but if the cart/stylus is not up to scratch then the sound quality will be poorer than you could possibly imagine :D

Whilst that is true as a general rule, a poor cart, deck, sound card and tune will sound worse than a poor cart but good everything else.

• 2 weeks later...

Eventually went in a different direction and purchased a Stanton 680 EL II cart and elliptical stylii - even at 2 grams the sound quality is immense since it's specifically designed for recording and for traditional mixing... Because I didn't purchase a new headshell it took me the best part of an hour to take off the old one and affix the new cart using a Stanley knife on the tiny screws :?

Would highly recommend it though, it sounds miles better than my old package, and comes with a spare stylus too.

Archived