DJ setups - what do all you DJs use?

Tremor

Not seen one of these threads on here for a while (but forgive me if I'm wrong).

What does your DJ setup comprise of? It's always interesting to know what people use especially when downloading each other's mixes.

Personally I mix all new stuff on CD but still have a lot of vinyls so have to have CD decks and Turntables set up at all times!

My setup:

2 x Pioneer CDJ-1000 MK3 (newly purchased about a month ago)

1 x Pioneer CDJ-400

2 x Technics 1200 Mk2

Pioneer DJM-700 Mixer (in silver)

I've never tried any of the MP3 software - traktor etc (Im not even sure of many of the names) - anyone use these as their main system now?

Feel free to post pics etc... I will try and find my camera to get some of mine.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Due to a small income I am a pure laptop DJ ... but I am proud of my set-up because not many people recognise it as what it is (Virtual DJ). I do sometimes have it set up so that I have about 3 laptops using it at once, I found a tutorial somewhere that told me how and it was awesome. This photo is just of it on my computer which is where the magic happens most of the time:

l_32d3e73cabbdd15ae880fe2f2955fc4f.jpg

This is how it will all be in the non too distant future though, possibly even the latter of this year. What I find funny is how so many people thought this was my bedroom at first:

l_cc3c658b8ba44a76afafe5bdb45a58f0.jpg

weeelll.. the CDJ400 was a bit of a random thing. I work for a sound and AV hire company as a sound engineer. My company did all the technical for a big corporate event before christmas and they needed a DJ for the party. They decided they might as well book me rather than look elsewhere and the CDJ400 was my payment for doing it. It's because they could get it ex VAT and at a good rate on top of that from one of their suppliers. It is quite handy as it reads MP3s direct from USB stick. So I mainly use it for playing stuff ive just downloaded and not got round to burning and labelling new CDs yet.

I also DJ for more cheesy events occasionally for a bit of extra cash and use the 400 at such events with my iPod connected to it. I cant quite decide what to do with it though. I could get another one and then keep that pair for taking out with me on gigs so that the 1000's stay imaculate at home. Or I could sell the one I have and just not bother.. I guess having just one isn't that useful really.

I use Traktor Scratch Pro as my main system now. It's so much better than Serato Scratch Live in every way. I strongly believe that Traktor Scratch will soon become the norm. I use it with SL1200s because i prefer using technics to CDJ's - i find CDJ's to be "too sensitive" and they frustrate me - i'm probably a bit heavy handed!

Traktor Scratch also has effects built into it which can be assigned to any type of midi controller so it saves on buying an EFX. The Audio 8 Soundcard is very versatile aswell, Ableton simply plugs in and runs alongside Traktor.

When i'm gigging i do take the time code CD's with me incase the Technics are ruined, but i've never used them yet.

I've just ordered a Stanton Uber laptop stand which will take centreplace onmy desk once it arrives on Monday.

setup-1.jpg

I just prefer using technics, it's more fun and i know instinctively how they react. A friend of mine went to Germany just before x-mas and he said a lot of the "cooler" clubs all had Traktor setups in them and DJ's seemed to be using the timecode vinyl. I've seen a few places here that have the option too, i think it'll just spread.

Edited by Moonman

Cool thats interesting stuff. Only a few replies so far but already a variety of setups - no one is the same. DJing is alot more diverse these days. I could do with getting some decent monitors to finish mine off. At the moment I have a couple of mission shelf speakers running off a Denon Amp and whilst they are good speakers, they lack in bottom end and I dont have a sub so thats something I might look to upgrade at some point.

I use Traktor Scratch Pro as my main system now. It's so much better than Serato Scratch Live in every way. I strongly believe that Traktor Scratch will soon become the norm. I use it with SL1200s because i prefer using technics to CDJ's - i find CDJ's to be "too sensitive" and they frustrate me - i'm probably a bit heavy handed!

Traktor Scratch also has effects built into it which can be assigned to any type of midi controller so it saves on buying an EFX. The Audio 8 Soundcard is very versatile aswell, Ableton simply plugs in and runs alongside Traktor.

When i'm gigging i do take the time code CD's with me incase the Technics are ruined, but i've never used them yet.

I've just ordered a Stanton Uber laptop stand which will take centreplace onmy desk once it arrives on Monday.

setup-1.jpg

I just prefer using technics, it's more fun and i know instinctively how they react. A friend of mine went to Germany just before x-mas and he said a lot of the "cooler" clubs all had Traktor setups in them and DJ's seemed to be using the timecode vinyl. I've seen a few places here that have the option too, i think it'll just spread.

Im going making the switch over to traktor pro very soon I think, simply because I feel I miss out on a lot of tunage as I hate burning cds. So when I do get round to burning its always a rush job and sometimes I dont get all the tunes that i'd like burnt to cd. I presume you need quite a fast processor to run it on your computer/ laptop though? have you had any problems with traktor skipping/freezing at all??

Yeah buy some, then you will be a proper DJ :P

ha!!! - I know what you mean though lol. At the moment I am squeezing every last drop from Virtual DJ, and I never really thought I would be when I first started. Must mean I am doing something right with all this DJ'ing business :)

Im going making the switch over to traktor pro very soon I think, simply because I feel I miss out on a lot of tunage as I hate burning cds. So when I do get round to burning its always a rush job and sometimes I dont get all the tunes that i'd like burnt to cd.

It does become a drag if you dont keep on top of it. Sometimes I am useless at ever burning my new downloads.. I try to do it as I get stuff or it becomes a nightmare.

2x Pioneer CDJ-1000

2x Technics SL1210s (although I only keep one out now for ripping vinyl to CD - the other is tucked away never to be used again)

1x Pioneer DJM600

Sony MDR-V700 headphones

Next on the shopping list is a Pioneer EFX-1000 (in the summer hopefully), and a Pioneer DJM800 Mixer.

2x Technics SL1210s (although I only keep one out now for ripping vinyl to CD - the other is tucked away never to be used again)

:(

How sad.

I can understand why though - I dont buy anything new on vinyl now but still mix all my old stuff all the time

It is sad - I still prefer the hands-on feel of Vinyl. Its completely manual rather than feeling 'semi-automatic'. However, with less and less tunes becoming available on vinyl now, plus promo lists being MP3 only, it made sense to fully switch over. I'm slowly converting my vinyl to CD, and then once i've done that, both turntables will be put away forever :(

Are you selling your vinyls as well?

I really need to have a sort out and get rid of the ones I never really played or just dont like anymore in order to get some space back. But the majority of them are tunes I wouldn't ever want to part with - I couldn't afford to buy loads of tunes cos vinyl was expensive as well so I rarely bought anything that I didn't really like.

Yeah the vinyl will be going mate. I've already parted with a few on here. The rest will go when i've typed out a list of every tune i've got, which will take yonks because i've got loads.

But if there's anything specific that people are looking for, i'll part with them if they let me know what tunes they're looking for :D

I've been looking at purchasing a Citronic set-up ... they aren't exactly cheap but neither are they too expensive, but most importantly I think they look cool too. Must be worth buying if you are happy with them Mr B :thumbsup:

The reason why Im all Citronic is simply up untill 3 or 4 years ago their HQ was in my town, well a village just outside town, and I used to frequent a disco shop owned by a guy that worked for them for 10 years before he started his shop, he also has two other ex-citronic servicers who fix stuff for him and of course hes a Citronic dealer.

So I'm safe in mind that I only have to go into town with my kit if anything goes wrong.

Prices wise Citronic stuffs always been reasonable priced for really good equipment, I've never seen teh need to splash out on Pioneerr or Technics stuff.

my full setup consists of the following:

Pioneer DJM 600s Mixer

2 x Pioneer CDJ 800 Mk2

Yamaha MSP5 Studio Monitors

Sennheiser HD25 Headphones

Edirol R09HR Professional MP3 Recorder

Apple Macbook Pro Laptop

although its interesting to see what everyone else has for the setup.

IMG_0041.jpg

Edited by Ian_k