DJ setups - what do all you DJs use?

Tremor

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I know, I am just being lazy, it's so hard to get up and get the camera, explain to everyone else in the house why I am taking photos of records, and then upload them and them put them on facebook and then transfer to here, because it's the only way I know how. I am planning on watching some telly tonight. :) I'll do it this week.

it's so hard to get up and get the camera, explain to everyone else in the house why I am taking photos of records, and then upload them and them put them on facebook and then transfer to here, because it's the only way I know how

That does sound pretty marathon like!

Im going making the switch over to traktor pro very soon I think, simply because I feel I miss out on a lot of tunage as I hate burning cds. So when I do get round to burning its always a rush job and sometimes I dont get all the tunes that i'd like burnt to cd. I presume you need quite a fast processor to run it on your computer/ laptop though? have you had any problems with traktor skipping/freezing at all??

Yeah a big problem for me was burning CD's then the CD's warp or you cant have any artwork etc on them etc.

Traktor Pro is a very powerful piece of software so it needs a lot of grunt, especially when using effects etc. I'm using a laptop with a 1gb RAM and a 1.86ghz processor (i think!) and it runs fine, but i have to lower the latency a little. But it doesn't affect the performance at all.

Presuming you keep the timecodes clean, you wont have any problems with it freezing/skipping, i dont. I've played out using it and it was rock solid. I don't run any programs in the background etc and theres no reason why it should freeze.

I cannot stress how good Traktor is, if you get it, you'll be very impressed with it all. I'm seeing more and more people switch to it these days, and with good reason.

dsc00256n.th.jpg

- 2 Reloop RMP-2 CD turntables

- Behringer DJX 700 mixer

I was on a budget lol. In all fairness the RMP-2's are outstanding CD turntables for the price. The DJX 700 gets some shocking reviews but I don't think it's that bad. Considering it cost me about £80 it does the job well enough. The effects are very basic but then again I generally tend to use the effects on the RMP-2's (if at all). I don't have room for my record decks sadly. My HomeMix 'Argos specials' that I got back in 2000 & that worked properly since... well... never. They have about as much torque as one of those handheld portable fans & are plastered with that highly regarded embarrasing HomeMix logo. Would kill for some 1210's, a pair of 1000's & a DJM 800.

2 CDJ 800

1 DJM 600

1 Gemini PT-1000

1 Serato Scratch

Tannoy Precision 6d active Monitors

1 Mackie 1402 VLZ Mixer

Pro Tools

Logic Pro

Mac G5

Yamaha CS1X

AKG C1000S Condenser Mic

1 Air Con unit to keep the room cool - much needed during the summer months!!!

2 CDJ 800

1 DJM 600

1 Gemini PT-1000

1 Serato Scratch

Tannoy Precision 6d active Monitors

1 Mackie 1402 VLZ Mixer

Pro Tools

Logic Pro

Mac G5

Yamaha CS1X

AKG C1000S Condenser Mic

1 Air Con unit to keep the room cool - much needed during the summer months!!!

How do you find Serato?

Yeah a big problem for me was burning CD's then the CD's warp or you cant have any artwork etc on them etc.

Traktor Pro is a very powerful piece of software so it needs a lot of grunt, especially when using effects etc. I'm using a laptop with a 1gb RAM and a 1.86ghz processor (i think!) and it runs fine, but i have to lower the latency a little. But it doesn't affect the performance at all.

Presuming you keep the timecodes clean, you wont have any problems with it freezing/skipping, i dont. I've played out using it and it was rock solid. I don't run any programs in the background etc and theres no reason why it should freeze.

I cannot stress how good Traktor is, if you get it, you'll be very impressed with it all. I'm seeing more and more people switch to it these days, and with good reason.

Yeah I've seen what its capable of and I'm already quite familiar with the traktor setup so its def next on my purchases list! More and more dj's seem to be switching to this setup too so its def gonna be the norm in the not too distant future IMO!!! Carl Cox, Digweed, Dave Clarke, Ritchie Hawtin, & James Zabiela are all using it now!

Yeah I've seen what its capable of and I'm already quite familiar with the traktor setup so its def next on my purchases list! More and more dj's seem to be switching to this setup too so its def gonna be the norm in the not too distant future IMO!!! Carl Cox, Digweed, Dave Clarke, Ritchie Hawtin, & James Zabiela are all using it now!

my new laptop stand came today...

P2220004.jpg

I used to love Tony De Vit, I was so sad when I heard he'd got ill in Ibiza, I knew it was Aids and it wouldn't be long for him after that.

I still love Tony de Vit!! Sorely missed!

I still enjoy his 1995 essential mix.

This is it although it isn't in correct order. Starts with second hour first

Elevatorman - "Funk and Drive" (Wired)

The Phorce - "Strong" (Phat test pressing)

Jason Nevins - "Wonderland" (The Jason Nevis EP)

The Numberical Value - "Krazy Noise" (Sharp)

Vudu - "The Callin" (Grassgreen)

Decadance - "Hot Shuffle" (Sounds Good)

Tony De Vit - "Burning Up [Dub Mix]" (Icon)

Force Mass Motion - "Lift" (Rabbit City)

artist unknown - "untitled" (Edge Test 3)

Epik Driver - "The Bolb" (Chug N Bumb)

Marmion - "Schoneberg" (Superstition)

Promo/No Info - "Nations" (Edge)

Tony De Vit - "Starlight" (white label)

Version Two - "Higher and Higher" (V2)

D'Enrico - "It Was Meant To Be" (Ouch!)

Boy Butla - "Driftwood" (Beeswax)

The Shaker - "Mooncat" (Ugly Bug)

Keith Mac - "Good Times" (Labello Dance)

Deuce - "Call It Love" (white label)

Rizzo - "Keep Ya Head On" (Tripoli Trax)

Artenesia - "Bits and Pieces" (Hooj Choons)

Tony De Vit - "Burning Up [Club Mix]" (Icon)

Must - "Gotta Get" (Aura)

Mrs Wood - "Whodunnit?" (React)

Version Two - "Skychild's Taccata" (Baby)

JX - "You Belong To Me" (ffrr)

How do you find Serato?

Love it!!! Makes life so much easier. One occasionally needs to edit the start of some tracks but only infrequently. I find that keeping a CD/12" free life is a lot easier to deal with especially with the numbers of digital promos outweighing physical ones. I've also got a Squeezebox which is connected to my lounge hi-fi and the last time I burned a CD was ages ago!

What's a squeezebox? sorry I not heard of one before

Its a device which allows you to play tracks from your PC/Mac wirelessly. It sync's upto itunes playlists etc and simply requires the device to be plugged in at your hifi.

These are the basic blurbs...

Logitechs' Squeezebox is a fantastic network music player that transmits all the digital music stored on your PC to your stereo - through Wi-Fi or cables! Easy to set up and use, this powerful, well-thought device produces high-quality audio, without any skipping or delay. Its large, elegant display shows track titles, artists and menus: you can browse by genre, artist or playlist, or randomly mix your music. The Squeezebox also gives you access to a practically limitless number of Internet radios, even when your PC is switched off.

The Squeezebox Duet, the new device allows you to access artwork too and is really nifty...

http://www.pcpro.co.uk/reviews/182313/logi...zebox-duet.html

IMG_0606.jpg

2 x Pioneer CDJ 1000 MK3

2 x Technics 1210 MK3 (only one on that picture)

1 x Pioneer DJM 600

1 x Pioneer EFX 1000

2 x KRK Rokit RP6's

1 x Sennheiser HD25 SP

That setup on the picture is in my old flat but I have since moved and have removed the 1210 so that the EFX 1000 sits on the workstation. My 1210's are back in their boxes in my bedroom. Need to convert vinyl to MP3's and sell the decks. One of the tasks I never seem to get round to.