The 'why Jules is a legend' thread.

Briggsy

Jules is always going to be highly regarded by me because of his history. Back in 99-2002 he played some absolutely blinding sets and some of his Radio 1 stuff was top drawer. I would say that his personality made him stand out to me when I first saw him live. I remember him bobbing around the DJ box like a Weeble or something. He was interacting with the crowd unlike any DJ I'd ever seen as genuinely seemed to be having a good time. There's this thing that he always does where he sort of rocks back and then lunges forwards towards the crowd and pulls this face.....

judge%20jules.jpg

I have a video at Crank in Bournemouth that shows this down to a tee but I can't be bothered uploading it (sorry). Anybody that has ever seen him will know what I mean. I always used to watch him wondering what the hell he did between mixing as he never cued the record up but instead adjusted speeds accordingly when bringing the track in. In between mixing he spent time mostly bobbing around and drinking vodka!

The tracks he played, as other people have noted, were also a key factor. It's those zany bouncy tracks that stood out i.e. Floorgasm - Have a Nice day, Chi Chi Hernandez - Who's That?, Uberdruck - Drugface, Joshua Ryan - Pistolwhip etc.... I could go on forever!

I have been slightly let down during recent sets I've seen him play but everytime I see him walk into the DJ box at a club I still get a shiver down my spine as if your witnessing a master at work (although when he starts looping that thought soon fades :( )

Can't fault the guy for his past success though!

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think Briggsy summed it all up perfectly in the very first post :)

I can totally relate with Tremor's post further up the page as well. When I read your post about growing up listening to Jules' show, it was as if I was reading about myself, it was that accurate! (ie, the parts about marking down tunes to look for, basing your tune selection on what Jules plays, etc)

What I respect the most about Jules is how he always finds time to chat to you, have a photo, respond to e-mails, and so on.

For example, from when I first started out tinkering with music production, he would always respond to the mashups I sent to him & take the time to give constructive feedback about them. Even if he wasn't 100% keen, he would briefly give suggestions on how he thought they could be improved, etc.

I hope it will be the same when I eventually get down to producing original work! :lol:

Overall, I think it's great how he communicates with his fans. I doubt there would be many other high profile DJs out there who would go to these sorts of lengths.

Have you removed that other thread about what is bad about Judge Jules? Because he does read the forums, he posted on the official one

I was just going to say hope he does not see that one (about things you don't like about him)

I have nothing bad to say about the man

Have you removed that other thread about what is bad about Judge Jules? Because he does read the forums, he posted on the official one

It was deleted by a mod at my request ( I asked for all replies to be edited, but said to delete the whole topic if it was too long winded to do) because it got stupid and blown out of proportion.

i remember years ago before i got in 2 trance (i used to be in to hard house :wacko: )i heard a lot about judge jules and all about judgement sundays, so back in 2000 my 1st holiday abroad with the missus we decided to go to ibiza,we went to judgement sundays and wow :o it was our best nite the hole atmosphere was great,ever since then we where both fans of him,and about mixing different genres he played years ago here in dublin THE TEMPLE THEATRE he was on after mark kavanagh his set was one of the best i have heard the crowd was loving it.

i have been to judgement sundays 5times so far and never been disappointed with it.

thats why i think he is a legend :D

i am a trance lover thanks to jules

I was just going to say hope he does not see that one (about things you don't like about him)

I have nothing bad to say about the man

He was made to know about that other thread as it was mainly lies and possibly quite damaging to his reputation. And had anyone else replied to it before him, I think it would have 'fed the troll' BTW I didn't tell him about it.

I wont be replying to it, even though I would like to say quite alot about whats on there from all the people posting!!

As for the post removed from here, I have to say I am glad that he hopefully wont be upset by it. Whatever the reason for the removal was ;)

I'm still not over it all!

Edited by Number 2 fan

so back in 2000 my 1st holiday abroad with the missus we decided to go to ibiza,we went to judgement sundays and wow :o it was our best nite

Funnily enough, the first time I saw Jules was on holiday - at BCM in Majorca. He was superb that night. Definately the best set i've heard him play at a club when i've actually been there. Still not the best ever set i've heard though - the live broadcast he did from Mardi-Gras 2002 was probably my favourite.

Some good memories here, sirs! Going back to Jules's music, I did like the random drum & bass (yes honestly) and techno tracks he would sometimes throw in on his shows. It made him very difficult to pigeon-hole at the same time... reminds me of Carl Cox who has done the round of just about everything I can remember. Both true versatile DJs!

I dunno what it specifically is that makes me LOVE judge jules the way that I do, I keep reading all these other wonderful reasons and memories and when I sit here at my reply page, I am stuck as to what to type first. So my reply might well make crap reading, but I feel I should definitely write something.

EDIT: Nah sorry I did a big reply, it was stupid though so I edited it.

All I do know is, that since going to see Jules he has never let me down and I never get bored of him. Also thanx to Jules radio show I managed to continue to hear great tunes and banter and an idea of what was going on out there, even whilst I was off the scene and unable to go clubbing for a couple of years. He has always been very accomodating and friendly towards me, and although I have met alot of top name DJ's he continiues to be the best personality wise IMO. Not just to me, but to I've seen him like it with alot of other people too.

I think he loves playing music to people and for as long as I love the music he is playing I will continue to be his Number 2 fan.

I would actually be very lost without him now.

I hope that's adequate.

reminds me of Carl Cox who has done the round of just about everything I can remember. Both true versatile DJs!

Carl Cox is superb. He's not my style musically, but when I saw him at Global 07, he was superb! Considering he's getting on a bit and had a heart attack, he still jumps around like a loon in the booth. He's one of those DJ's that is respected by everyone - regardless of whether they like his style or not.

He's one of those DJ's that is respected by everyone - regardless of whether they like his style or not.

Couldn't agree more! I've seen Coxy a few times but probably the best was at Global 05. He played 'Roman Flugel - Gets Nocht' and the whole tent went absolutely nuts! He always shouts really cheesy random things over the mic too!

Couldn't agree more! I've seen Coxy a few times but probably the best was at Global 05. He played 'Roman Flugel - Gets Nocht' and the whole tent went absolutely nuts! He always shouts really cheesy random things over the mic too!

What happened to the other Judge Jules thread?

Let's put a stop to this madness!

And simply all respect the DJ who has tickled everyone on here positively at some point in his illustrious career :D

The thread didn't need all the bickering but it did have merits and was a simple expression of freedom of expression.

This thread is simple nostalgia.

Edited by kml

Not really, i didn't think it needed deleting, I was happy for anything I said on there to stay there.

Just because ppl had different opinions and a bit of a debate, nothing wrong with that.

Everyone posted what they thought.

Maybe you just changed your mind about sending it afterall. :)

Maybe you just changed your mind about sending it afterall. :)

The link was sent to Jules 2 days before it was deleted!

Everyone that posted had some valid points - as the 20+ votes indicated, but because you wouldn't stop whinging all through the thread preaching to us how wrong we all were, etc, the post dragged into 7 pages, got stupid, and then wasn't worth reading.

Edited by Briggsy

The link was sent to Jules 2 days before it was deleted!

Everyone that posted had some valid points - as the 20+ votes indicated, but because you wouldn't stop whinging all through the thread preaching to us how wrong we all were, etc, the post dragged into 7 pages, got stupid, and then wasn't worth reading.

Post the poll again and we should all agree that if we wish to comment we make one post on are own views and do not respond to other posts.

I've missed out on this thread as l've been away for a week so l didn't know that there had been problems. :(

What was the deleted thread called?

Basically, because people have been commenting on Jules's mixes and club sets lately saying they thought the flow was random or too many bootlegs, etc, I created a poll so that people could say what was frustrating them in Jules's sets. There were around 12 votes for 'too many bootlegs' - so it was an ideal opportunity for Jules to see that we, as fans, didn't think that they were working as well as he perhaps thought - but the thread got silly, and ended up being deleted. I can't remember the exact title now, but it was something along the lines of 'What frustrates you about Jules at the moment" or something like that. Its a shame he never got to see it because there were some good points put across.

Post the poll again and we should all agree that if we wish to comment we make one post on are own views and do not respond to other posts.

It won't happen though - it'll just end up the same as last time. The moment has passed now :(