global gathering 2009

Ian_k

well the lineup for global gathering 2009 has been anounced, the lineup looks ok, nothing too special.

but check the frigggin price for a weekend, i can go abroad for these prices!!!!!!

• Deposit Tickets - £50 + booking fee - Available until 31st March 2009

• Earlybird Weekend General Admission tickets - £115.00 + booking fee

• Earlybird Weekend VIP Admission tickets - £175.00 + booking fee

GG.09_Line_Up.jpg

Edited by Ian_k

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hmmmmmmm I wouldn't wanna do the whole weekend, just half, and I'd be happy to pay half to see what I like from that list!!

But it is my birthday!! Nah I couldn't justify that expense tbh!

if they did day tickets great id probab ly go to it......but im doubting they do, besides which, how would they kick u out if you'd only bought a day ticket :lol:

They do sell day tickets for the Saturday only - but they always release them later - usually around May.

I've been three times now, and i've seen it all before to be honest - its usually the same old faces in the Trance tent - with 1 or 2 exceptions (usually 2 different b-listers - such as Gareth Emery this year insteadof Sean Tyas who was there last year). The rest of the line-up consists of Armin, Above & Beyond, Jules, Sander van Doorn - and they're all predictable and tedious. Markus Schulz and ATB are about the only two in the Trance tent this year that aren't that predictable.

Day tickets are usually around £65 - which isn't too bad if you've never been before - its worth going just to soak up the atmosphere. If you've been before though, nothing really changes. Fortunately, the last three have been free for me, but this year would involve paying, so i'm gonna stay clear and go clubbing elsewhere instead.

They do sell day tickets for the Saturday only - but they always release them later - usually around May.

I've been three times now, and i've seen it all before to be honest - its usually the same old faces in the Trance tent - with 1 or 2 exceptions (usually 2 different b-listers - such as Gareth Emery this year insteadof Sean Tyas who was there last year). The rest of the line-up consists of Armin, Above & Beyond, Jules, Sander van Doorn - and they're all predictable and tedious. Markus Schulz and ATB are about the only two in the Trance tent this year that aren't that predictable.

Day tickets are usually around £65 - which isn't too bad if you've never been before - its worth going just to soak up the atmosphere. If you've been before though, nothing really changes. Fortunately, the last three have been free for me, but this year would involve paying, so i'm gonna stay clear and go clubbing elsewhere instead.

its maybe worth a day ticket....wudnt mind going, still a bit steep, but considering the lineup suppose thats reasonable

Yeah, £65 isn't too bad really. A lot of people complain about the ticket prices, but £65 isn't bad for a whole day from 2pm til 6am. What makes me laugh is people like those on the Matt Hardwick board that will grizzle about paying £65 for a full days clubbing, but will happily pay £30 for a 3 hour PvD set. When you look at the calibre of DJ's they have on, and how much their fee's are, then Gods are forced to charge that much for a ticket to cover it all - a lot of people think they're raking the money in, but it does actually cost a fortune in DJ fee's and hotels alone. Sure, they're making a fair bit of money - but not as much as a lot of people think. The DJ's fee's in the main tent alone just for the Saturday would be at least £30,000 - plus hotels and whatever their riders consist of on top of that.

Its the other costs that my gripe is with - such as £10 for a lukewarm ratburger with 10 chips that taste like they've been cooked in paraffin - and £4 for a bottle of water with the top removed so that you can't drag it out to make it last - meaning you drink it quickly, and therefore buy more.

The price isn't that shocking really is it? It's a 'festival' & that seems pretty uniform for the type of event it is. Global is easily the most popular dance music festival so they charge as appropriate. Luxurys such as live acts always bumps the cost up as well.

I've no real desire to go to Global anymore, I've done it & it was a great day (I haven't ever done the entire weekend).

The price isn't that shocking really is it? It's a 'festival' & that seems pretty uniform for the type of event it is. Global is easily the most popular dance music festival so they charge as appropriate. Luxurys such as live acts always bumps the cost up as well.

I've no real desire to go to Global anymore, I've done it & it was a great day (I haven't ever done the entire weekend).

Exactly! Its not bad value really. I find it odd that people slate Global's prices, yet were happy to pay a similar price for Gatecrasher's Summer Sound System that had much cheaper DJ's on the line-up. I don't see how they can justify charging a similar price to Global when Global are offering PvD & Armin, when Gatecrasher were offering Menno de Jong and Simon Patterson. To some extent, i'd rather see Menno & Simon Patterson to be honest - but I expect the money they're saving on DJ fee's to be passed onto us - there's no way the GCSSS's DJ fee's came anywhere near to Globals.

As for the entire weekend - i've done the weekend before, but gone home in-between the two days as I only live 20-30 minutes away. I'd rather sleep in a cosy warm bed than a swamped tent :D

I still don't understand how people in the UK constantly moan about the problems with UK festivals.

Plain and simple, there's much better festivals no matter what you're into all over Europe, all year long, for a lot cheaper and a hell of a lot better produced.

The cost to do it in britain along with all the red tape and s*** weather, as well as having to cater for everyone just to sell tickets, means you end up with massive average scummy expensive samey festivals years after year.

And its only going to get worse, so do your self a favour, and book an Easyjet flight instead of a coach!

Have to say I'm really keen to try an overseas festival, I've done the UK ones that I want to (except maybe Glastonbury) & would really like to experience Sonar, Bennacasim & more (does Exit sound familiar or have I made that up?)

• 2 months later...

I'm going to Global Gathering this year as l've never been before and l love the atmosphere at these festivals. I'm just going to do the Saturday as l managed to get a Sat off work and will probably stay overnight (Friday)in Cheltenham where my brother lives then set off Sat morning for the festival. I've got to work from 6am-12.30 on Friday and as its 256 miles from Penzance to Long Marston l will need a decent nights sleep before the event as l'm planning on staying until the bitter end. Who usually plays the last set and do they announce set times before the event?

Also any tips on surviving the day/night.

I went to Homelands (Winchester)in 2003 which was great but by 3am l was tired cold and hungry so left before the end. Besides l had seen all the DJs l had set out to see so there was no point in staying til the end.

BTW l think £65 is good value for money.

Edited by Chrissie Brown

Who usually plays the last set and do they announce set times before the event?

It used to always be Jules, but Mark Eteson asked Jules if he could have the honour two years ago, and Jules agreed, so Mark Eteson has done it for the last couple of years. Jules will probably be on 2nd from last again this year. The set times are usually kept quite tight until the day, and then they're announced on a lanyard - but they're always wrong anyway so its a case of just seeing who's on when.

Yeah, take you own food otherwise you'll have to pay £5 for 10 luke-warm chips and a rubber ratburger. You cna pop in and out to cars no problem. Also, as daft as it sounds, if you plan on drinking bottled water, then take a couple of bottle tops. They tend to take the tops off so that you can't put the top back on to take your timme drinking them - they know that without a top, you won't be bothered to carry it, so you'll neck it and but another one later. Its their little money making scheme.

BTW l think £65 is good value for money.

Agreed! A lot of people complain about the price - but £65 for 16 hours clubbing, seeing a number of headline DJ's isn't bad value. People would usually pay £25 just to see Paul van Dyk alone, or £20 to see Armin, plus a couple of B-listers - so for £65, you get to see all of those, plus people like Markus Schulz, Above & Beyond, Jules, Sander van Doorn, etc. Its not bad value really.

When you work out how much the DJ fee's cost, plus extras such as hotels and riders, plus the land hire, electricity costs, licence fee, policing costs, etc, I bet they hardly make any profit out ofthe ticket price - I should think the bulk of their profits comes from the drinks and merchandise sales.

Edited by Briggsy

It's my birthday then. I am off work then too. When did it become 65 pounds I thought it was over 100 that's why I haven't bought tickets for it, as the two of us looked like costing about 400 (inc getting there).... Did I miss something? Again!!

Edited by Number 2 fan

Speed!!

Only joking ahem.....seriously take your own picnic, include egg mayo sandwiches, salted nuts, full sugar ribena, a mars milk and two ripe bananas.

Wear comfy shoes, and cool clothing with a lightwieght shoulder covering item for the night time outdoors bits.

1 pack of Huggies aloe baby wipes.

A disposable camera with flash.

SORTED!

Edited by Number 2 fan