global gathering 2009

Ian_k

I don't think there are any specific survival tips, whenever I went we just got down there & had a few drinks in Stratford then hit the shuttle bus to the site. The first few hours we always spent on the beach area of the site, lazing about & listening to whoever was on. The set times will be structured so that the big names aren't on too early so you can relax & have some drinks early doors then really get going as & when the DJs you want to see come on.

I remember really enjoying Nic Fancuilli & Roger Sanchez in the sunshine in '04 then hitting the Gods tent around 6 for JOOF & MIKE, we flitted between arenas for a while afterwards then really got into things when Armin came on around 10, from then on it was non-stop until Jules finished off.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was always told the reason they remove all the caps on the bottles, is the same as at a footie ground; health & safety, so you cant throw it. If the caps off, most of the fluids spill out before they land when thrown, thus not cracking someones skull. Tho I suspect the money reason is probably more like it...............

I'll miss Global this year - its the first time in three years I won't be attending. Simply because i'd have to pay this year rather then getting a freebie, and the line-up doesn't vary enough from last year to justify the price tag. The trance tent, apart from 2 DJ's, is the same as last year :(

I was always told the reason they remove all the caps on the bottles, is the same as at a footie ground; health & safety, so you cant throw it. If the caps off, most of the fluids spill out before they land when thrown, thus not cracking someones skull. Tho I suspect the money reason is probably more like it...............

Its definately a money reason. Its on a stoney airfield with big rocks and stones everywhere, plus old drinks cans, etc. If people wanted to cause some damage, they'd throw stones and rocks. I should imagine a soft bottle of water would be the last thing on their list if they wanted to hurt anyone or cause trouble.

Is it really 65 quid now, coz if it is I wanna go!

Saturday only tickets are £65. Its the whole weekend thats over £100. Generally, the Friday is focused around the live-acts on the main stage, plus it closes earlier - so unless you want to see the live acts, or check out a German checking his emails on a laptop (some chap called Van Dyk I believe his name is.....), then i'd save your money and go on the Saturday. Saturday is the Trance day.

I remember really enjoying Nic Fancuilli & Roger Sanchez in the sunshine in '04 then hitting the Gods tent around 6 for JOOF & MIKE, we flitted between arenas for a while afterwards then really got into things when Armin came on around 10, from then on it was non-stop until Jules finished off.

Sanchez was superb in 2007 too. I popped along on the Friday simply because it was free and I thought Oakie might have been half decent, but after four tunes with shoddy mixing and a random set flow with hard tunes mixed into soft tunes and then back to hard again, I couldn't stand any more so had a walk round to catch someone 'random' - and I walked in on Sanchez and he just played tune after tune. Probably the best set that weekend for me actually. I was hoping he'd be as good last year, but he was boring.

Oh no I'm having trouble getting anyone to come with me. Gonna have to work on this! Chrissie, are you going in a group or alone?

I'm going alone and have already bought my ticket. I've got a confession to make, l bought a VIP ticket which cost me £99.50 +booking fee. :o As l'll be on my own it should make life easier having VIP ticket cos if l want to watch a live group at least l will be down the front and there are parking advantages too as its next to the VIP entrance and you can get into the ground easier and earlier. I don't suppose l will go again so l thought l would splash out. Can't really afford it as l've got to pay for my Ibiza holiday in July. You only live once!

Thanks guys and gals for the survival tips. I always take my own food and drink so l won't be purchasing any junk food. Its good to know that you are allowed back to your car so at least you don't have to carry everything around with you. I'll take plenty of clothes, plus wellies. ;)

Edited by Chrissie Brown

That's ok Chrissie, if I was going on my own I'd bloody pay the 99 quid ticket an'all, the only reason I wouldn't pay is if i had to buy two.

Btw there is cloakroom facility, just like in a club, it's always my first port of call as being an older clubber I always have excess baggage. You may be allowed back to your car, but it could be a long way, and dark and alone.

If I come alone, will you meet up with me Chrissie?

You may be allowed back to your car, but it could be a long way, and dark and alone.

Global is pretty good for car parking. There's one massive car park which runs along one side of the site, and there are various exits to it - all within a short walking distance. Its all lit up aswell and police with dogs guard the walkways, etc. Unlike a certain brand that does a lot of gatecrashing, the Global organisers actually know what they're doing. They do a good job of both Global and Escape Into The Park. The only downisde to Escape Into The Park is the car parks aren't as close - so going out to go back to the car numerous times isn't really possible.

That's ok Chrissie, if I was going on my own I'd bloody pay the 99 quid ticket an'all, the only reason I wouldn't pay is if i had to buy two.

Btw there is cloakroom facility, just like in a club, it's always my first port of call as being an older clubber I always have excess baggage. You may be allowed back to your car, but it could be a long way, and dark and alone.

If I come alone, will you meet up with me Chrissie?

Of course l would meet up with you, goes without saying. :D

Thanks for the info Briggsy,

Is there a VIP area in the Godskitchen Arena as that is where l plan to spend most of my time, also want to check out the Polysexual Arena and Main stage.

Edited by Chrissie Brown

I wish you'd told me you were going sooner!! I didn't think any one else was going and I thought it was all camping only!!! I don't do camping!!

Neither do l.

Sorry about that I only made up my mind last weekend and as it is only 4 weeks away l thought l had better buy a ticket pronto so did it yesterday lunchtime. :blink:

Thanks for the info Briggsy,

Is there a VIP area in the Godskitchen Arena as that is where l plan to spend most of my time, also want to check out the Polysexual Arena and Main stage.

No problemo :D

The tents don't have VIP areas - they're just completely open with a bar in the corner. The VIP area is always to the side of the main stage with a seperate viewing area so that you can see the main stage clearly without being shoved about. The VIP area also has its own little tent which usually blasts out Hed Kandi style nonsense, plus its own eating area and, best of all, its own toilets where there's not 50 people all waiting to use one cubicle (seriously, the 'normal' toilets really are that bad - its not unusual to wait 20-30 minutes). The VIP queue is normally quite short :D

Edited by Briggsy

• 1 month later...

As l've been so busy this past week haven't been on this site but will now do a report on GG, better late than never!

I drove up to Cheltenham from Penzance, Cornwall, late Friday afternoon after starting work @ 6am that morning so took a couple of pro-plus pills to stop me falling a sleep at the wheel! l used my Sat Nav for the first time (I've had it 2 yrs) for the last part of the journey as it isn't easy getting to my brothers place due to the one way system in Cheltenham!

I started out on Sat morning @ 11.am and used the Sat Nav again which got me to GG without any problems. I was amazed as l didn't have to queue to get into the event. Only downside was that due to the high number of weekend V.I.P campers l was unable to park next to the V.I.P entrance as it was full which was a bit of a bummer as it was quite a walk to the entrance from where l was parked. I arrived on site @ 12 noon and got sorted out before joining the V.I.P queue. We were late getting into the site as the police, with their sniffer dogs, were late arriving! I wanted to record the moment on my camcorder but didn't want to draw attention to myself. Lots of clubbers were taken off to a tent by police when the dogs found drugs on their person. They were cautioned and then allowed into the site minnus the drugs. I thought it was quite amusing as l wasn't searched and a sniffer dog didn't come anywhere near me. I'm an "oldie" but l could have been a "dealer" for all they knew.

It was great in the V.I.P area, fortunately it stayed dry for the whole day/night so didn't need my wellies. Took me over an hour to track down a programme which cost £6. Well worth it as it was a necessity. I watched the Shapeshifters first who were on the Main stage and they sounded just great, wonderful atmosphere, l was down the front in the V.I.P area. I then made my way to the GK Arena and caught the last part of Mark Eteson's set which went down well. Gareth Emery played next from 4-5.30pm and he was pretty good. I really like his stuff but towards the end of his set the tunes all seemed to sound the same. Have to say that one of the tunes that really did it for me @ GG was Andy Moor & Ashley Wallbridge "Faces"(original mix) what a tune! I bought it on Tues and can't stop playing it.

Next was Jules, l had emailed him to tell him l would be down the front and as soon as he saw me he put his thumbs up! I had also asked him to play "Drop Zone" so was really pleased when this was played at the beginning of his set. The arena was packed and he played some great tunes and also some of his dodgy bootlegs which l don't really like but have to admit they were well received and the crowd loved them! Have to admit l also sung along with the rest of them, great atmosphere!

Jules played on for an extra hour as ATB didn't turn up! So Jules ended up playing for two and a half hours and then he had to go up to Blackpool before flying out to Ibiza for JS. As Jules was up so high l ended up with a stiff neck!

I went back to my car to get changed into warmer clothes and also had some of the food l had brought with me. The V.I.P toilets were pretty good and didn't have to queue for long. I then had a look around the site and went in various tents before heading back to GK were l caught the end of SVD. l've seen him lots of times now so l wasn't too upset that l had missed most of his set. I'll be seeing him @ Amnesia when l go to Ibiza in Sept. Next was A&B 10-11.30. Their light show was fantastic but l was very disappointed with their set as it was very "samey" and l found it boring so l went to see Tidy Boys in the Polysexual Arena which was rocking! Great atmosphere in there. Also watched a bit of Orbital's set. It was packed in every Arena. It just wasn't possible to see every one, mores the pity! I got back to GK in time for Armin's 3 hour set which was pure class! It was the best set of the day/night. Never seen Armin before and was surprised at how full on he is. For some reason l had it in my head that he was very reserved, far from it, he is quite extrovert, and was jumpimg around most of the time. He also played "Faces" which sounded amazing, also he had every one singing along to "Find Yourself". l had filmed a bit of his set but unfortunately it isn't easy downloading from a camcorder as it takes such a long time. Take it from me it was awesome!

I thought it was raining outside but it was condensation raining down on us all in the GK Arena.

After Armins set l stayed to watch a bit of Markus Schulz set but have to confess that l was feeling very tired so decided to call it a day and walked back to the car and got back to Cheltenham @ 5.30. Had a great day out, meet lots of amazing people and it was just fab, so glad l went.

I slept for about 5 hours and then spent the rest of the day with my brother and his wife.

I came back to Cornwall on Monday and have been busy every since.

Went into hospital today to have some skin cancer (non maligant) removed from the top of my cheekbone (just below my eye) It wasn't very pleasant but its all over with now. When the surgeon injected my face the music playing in the back ground was "Cafe Del Mar" which helped take my mind of what he was doing. We chatted about GG and Ibiza and it turned out he is a fan of Judge Jules too. I've got to take a couple of days off work as l have a large dressing on my face and as l work on checkouts l would get a lot of comments and can't cope with it. Plus it's very painful and have to have the stitches taken out next week. My friend drove me up to Truro as l wasn't allowed to drive and stupidly l took my car keys with me as l have my house key on the same key ring and somehow l've lost them. Its a nightmare as it is the master key for my Merc. I do have a spare that l can use but it doesn't have a "key" so l will have to get another key which will cost an arm and a leg. I've rung the hospital but as yet it hasn't been found. I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

I'll try and upload a short video l did with my digital camera (during Armin's set) as l run out of mini dv film that l use in my camcorder.

EDIT. My friend found the keys in her car this morning, they had fallen down between the seat and gear box so l'm very happy to get them back.

FABULOUS report Chrissie, sounds like you had a great time, and I love that ' find yourself' tune, I'd have sang along too. Hope you're feeling better after your op today though, it seems you are, if you are able to type all that out. :)

Just one thing though.... :ermm: ....

I thought it was raining outside but it was condensation raining down on us all in the GK Arena.

That's not just condensation, IT'S SWEAT ........from hundreds of people, and I have seen clubbers at these venues, looking up at the ceiling with their mouths open, trying to catch what they think is raindrops!!! HA HA :ill: (hope you didn't do that?)

FABULOUS report Chrissie, sounds like you had a great time, and I love that ' find yourself' tune, I'd have sang along too. Hope you're feeling better after your op today though, it seems you are, if you are able to type all that out. :)

Just one thing though.... :ermm: ....

That's not just condensation, IT'S SWEAT ........from hundreds of people, and I have seen clubbers at these venues, looking up at the ceiling with their mouths open, trying to catch what they think is raindrops!!! HA HA :ill: (hope you didn't do that?)

:lol: No way l was trying to avoid the "raindrops" as l didn't want the wet ruining my camcorder or camera.

I'm not feeling that great atm as its quite painful at times and l've got bruising around the wound which looks awful :o I have to take the dressing off tomorrow evening which l'm not looking forward to. God knows what l'm gonna look like, l scare easily. Back to work on Friday morning and have a 16th birthday party to go to on Sat night so l hope l don't frighten too many people as l don't have the stitches out until Tues, I'm hoping to go and see Jules in Newquay on 15th August with some young friends of mine. Only consolation is that it will be dark(ish) in the club so hopefully the scar won't look too bad! I sound like a wimp but l'm not really, honest, its just not nice having a scar on your face.

I can't even disguise it with make up as its too soon after the op. I'm off to bed now!

Glad to say l'm not feeling too bad today. Taken the dressing off (tonight) and have 6 stitches running down from the corner of my eye to the middle of my cheek bone and am badly bruised under my eye despite having taken arnica tablets for the past 2 wks :(

How do l upload a short video on here (from my camera) its just over a minute long?

Sounds like you had a great time Chrissie. Sounds like Armin played very similar to how he did at BCM on Wednesday night - very full on, 'proper' Trance - none of that boring "it takes ten minutes for each tune to get to the point" nonsense that he plays from time to time. He was superb at BCM. When he's playing 'proper' Trance, he fully deserves the number 1 DJ award because there's nobody better.

Next was A&B 10-11.30. Their light show was fantastic but l was very disappointed with their set as it was very "samey" and l found it boring

Finally, someone else that feels the same way as me. I normally get slated when I criticise A&B on other boards - but its true, every tune does sound the same - and its because every bloody tune in their sets are off the Anjunabeats label. They're the most boring, narrow minded DJ's i've ever heard.

How do l upload a short video on here (from my camera) its just over a minute long?

Can any one help please.................

Steve, really good to see you on here, its been a while. Hope alls well with you and yours. :)

FAO Briggsy; I usually enjoy A&B and have seen them several times in the past but on this occasion l have to agree with you.