What would you do to improve the country if you were prime minister?

Briggsy

Following on from the MPs expenses thread, i'm just curious as to what you'd do if you had the power to make changes to this country to improve it?

1. I'd scrap VAT completely on healthy food, and increase VAT on unhealthy food - therefore persuading people to eat healthier. For those that choose to eat unhealthily, at least they're contributing more to pay for their heart bypass operation that they'll need when they're older.

2. Deport any foreigners that have entered the country over the last 10 years that have never worked, or contributed to the system in any way. They should also be charged for NHS treatment if they've not paid into the system.

3. Cap the amount of foreigners that enter the country. We've got quite enough now. The genuine foreigners that are at risk in their own country should be allowed in as a last resort, but those coming over for "an easy life" (ie, government handouts) shouldn't be allowed to enter.

4. Scrap ludicrous pensions. The public are paying extortionate interest rates on loans and mortgages to fund £100,000+ per year pensions for bank directors when they eventually retire. Nobody needs £100,000+ per year to live comfortably when they're a pensioner. Salaries should be capped to a level which reflects a fair standard of living. if they were earning £30,000 per year when they were working and had a mortgage to pay for, then they can afford to live on £30,000 per year when they're retired and their mortgage has been fully paid off.

5. Scrap NHS/Police "targets". They're seriously affecting those services. Hours are being wasted on pointless paperwork - those hours could be spent catching criminals or saving lives instead of telling Mr Brown that 507 people have had their arms plastered in the West Midlands during week 7 2009.

6. Get the police off our roads and onto the streets. OK, so if we have speeding issues in this country, then put average speed cameras up - these can be paid for out of speeders fines. Putting Mr Plod on the motorway to catch someone doing 10mph over the limit is a serious waste of resources. Instead, he could be out on the beat preventing a stabbing or burglary.

7. Bring back death sentences. If someone has mudered another person, and everyone is absolutely 100% sure that he committed the murder, then he should face the same penalty. Why waste taxpayers money on keeping him alive for life, when he offers nothing to anyone. No person has the right to deliberately take another persons life.

8. Penalise illegal drivers. Why should I pay £210 a year road tax, £400 a year insurance & £40 MOT to drive legally, when illegal drivers get a £150 fine to drive illegally? At the moment, current fines mean that you're better off driving illegally because it's cheaper. Hit them with a year in prison. It saves genuine drivers having to foot the bill, and it gets all the rogue drivers off the roads too. Simples.

I fully agree with the first 3 points you make. The problem with a lot of foreigners though, is they come here thinking its all peaches and cream, then they realise just how damn expensive it is to live in this country. They run out of money and cant get back home, so they are stuck here.

The police targets is also a big one for me. I'm going to bite my tongue there aswell and not say a thing on t hat tpoic, search the many police forums, it'll make an interesting read...

But i believe that police should be double crewed, sent out on bikes and given an area to cover each shift - and they shouldnt be allowed off it. Whislt one mobile does prisoner runs in a van for people. But, for reasons which i'm not going to go into, this isn't done. The other night, it was quite, i mentioned getting out on foot at 3 in the morning to catch some car theives/going equipped/burglars, my crew partner looked at me as if i was crazy!

They run out of money and cant get back home, so they are stuck here.

Yeah, and probably turning to burglary or drug dealing to fund staying over here. So not only is the police system strained by paperwork, as time goes on and more foreigners enter, the police force will be pushed even more by paperwork AND dodgy foreigners up to no good. I know not all foreigners are like that that come over - but there's certainly a lot of dodgy ones over here. There are some parts of Coventry now that have been kept allocated just for foreign immigrants - and they are no-go zones once it gets dark.

Yeah, and probably turning to burglary or drug dealing to fund staying over here. So not only is the police system strained by paperwork, as time goes on and more foreigners enter, the police force will be pushed even more by paperwork AND dodgy foreigners up to no good. I know not all foreigners are like that that come over - but there's certainly a lot of dodgy ones over here. There are some parts of Coventry now that have been kept allocated just for foreign immigrants - and they are no-go zones once it gets dark.

Its the same here too. We have a strip just outside the town centre, used to be lovely quirky shops down there, nice and safe too, now it's been replaced by polish/lithuanian shops. It literally is like its been made to recreate some Eastern European commercial area. It really angers me. If i was to move to say, Germany, i would spend at least 6 months prior to moving learning the language, i would then abide by what they eat and how they live, but we (our council) bends over backwards to try to make the city like another Krakow or whatever. It really makes my blood boil. I have no problem (in the main) with foreigners, if they come here, speak our language and live by our culture/values its when they dont that it really gets my goat. They expect us to speak their language...that can EFFF right off!

Its the same here too. We have a strip just outside the town centre, used to be lovely quirky shops down there, nice and safe too, now it's been replaced by polish/lithuanian shops. It literally is like its been made to recreate some Eastern European commercial area. It really angers me. If i was to move to say, Germany, i would spend at least 6 months prior to moving learning the language, i would then abide by what they eat and how they live, but we (our council) bends over backwards to try to make the city like another Krakow or whatever. It really makes my blood boil. I have no problem (in the main) with foreigners, if they come here, speak our language and live by our culture/values its when they dont that it really gets my goat. They expect us to speak their language...that can EFFF right off!

You think exactly as I do. I'd have said the same thing, but usually world war 3 breaks out - it certainly would of on the Matt Hardwick board anyway.

It p***es me off when I get council letters in the post about voting or public notices, and I have to turn to the back to get to the English because thats had less priority over Urdu, Polish, Punjabi and other languages that I didn't even know existed.

If people want to come to britian - fine - learn the lingo and accept our way of living. It p***es me off when they say they find Union Jack's offensive and all that bollocks.

Political correctness has ruined this country. It really has. I get offended when i cannot fly the flag of St George because other may find it offensive. It's like its our country, yet we are the last in line when it comes to our rights.

Political correctness has ruined this country. It really has. I get offended when i cannot fly the flag of St George because other may find it offensive. It's like its our country, yet we are the last in line when it comes to our rights.

Spot on, but we can't speak out about it because then we're being racist!

Too right Briggsy! It's not being racist though it is? When does being patriotic become racist anyway?

People are so afraid to talk openly about these issues for fear of being dubbed a racist. I am not a racist and i dont think any of the comments in this thread are racist. Deep down, we're all thinking it, its just sadly, only a minority are prepared to voice their concerns...sad.

Edited by Moonman

Deep down, we're all thinking it, its just sadly, only a minority are prepared to voice their concerns...sad.

Spot on! I'm not racist either - i've got a couple of black mates actually, and to be honest, they'd agree with our views too! If England are playing in the world cup, I should be able to display a flag without someone complaining that its offensive.

Racism has reversed in this country now. We can't speak out because if we do, we're racist - but if they speak out, we have to take action. We have a MOBO awards, but if we had a MOWO awards, all hell would break loose. The BBC have a black radio station now, but if we had a white radio sttaion, we'd be strung up by our gonads. If a white person assaults a black person, its branded as a 'racist attack' - but if a blakc person hits a white person, its an assault.

Spot on!

I also disagree with positive discrimination. I mean whats that all about. Say for instance, a company want a female to fill a role just because its male dominated, the males applying stand no chance even before they've handed in their application. So, at this point, they are discriminated against for simply being male! agggh Whatever happened to judging everyone on their own merits. If you are good enough to do the job you get it, whatever your colour, sex, race or creed. I know we are straying from the topic slightly, but Labour created all this PC nonsense!

If you are good enough to do the job you get it, whatever your colour, sex, race or creed.

I agree entirely! I also disagree, to some extent, with the equal opportunities ruling. At the moment, if a company wants to interview 40 people, then to allow equal opportunities, 20 of them have to be foreign/black - but foreign/black people are the ethnic minority - so therefore, that isn't equal.

If equal opportunites is to be done fairly, then surely if a town or city has a population of 75% British people, and 25% are foreign/black, then 75% of people being interviewed should be white, and the remaining 25% shouldbe foreign/black - that is then an equal ratio.

I agree entirely! I also disagree, to some extent, with the equal opportunities ruling. At the moment, if a company wants to interview 40 people, then to allow equal opportunities, 20 of them have to be foreign/black - but foreign/black people are the ethnic minority - so therefore, that isn't equal.

That is complete and utter bulls***!

Do some research mate.

I'd make childcare part of the national curriculum as well as basic cookery and budgeting!! It is as likely to be needed in later life as Maths and English!!

I'd also MAKE new Mothers stay in hospital for a minimum of a week for help, care and observation!

I'd Castrate ALL sex offenders, for punishment and prevention purposes.

I would punish people harder for acts of cruelty, and neglect equals cruelty!

Just for starters, I think these things alone would help a great deal in society!

Btw I wasn't being serious with my above quote! I was taking the pi*s!!

Edited by Number 2 fan

It's all subjective isn't it? The whole purpose of government is to maintain the status quo, they have to try to balance so many things & they're bound to annoy pretty much everyone in some way.

I think it's best just to get on with living your life & focus on the opportunities that the country offers at the moment & how you can seize on them for your own means.

Briggsy:

Point 1 - I don't think VAT applies to healthy food.

Point 2 - See my previous post on ending discrimination.

Point 3 - I think you will find this is illegal.

Point 4 - No one is earning £30k a year and then being paid £100k pension.

Point 5 - Targets are there for a reason. Look at the performance of the police and NHS prior to the introduction of targets and get back to me.

Point 6 - Catching people speeding probably pays for more police on the beat.

Point 7 - This already happens and it contradicts point 6 as if police aren't on traffic duty, how will they catch illegal drivers?

I actually think that speeding is a serious offence. Just because 'alot' of people do something, it doesn't make it ok!!

I don't have a problem with Speed cameras, if you don't wanna get caught speeding, Don't speed!!

The speed limit is set at that for a reason, and it is a limit, NOT A TARGET!

Whats the point of the police doing so much good work, only to have CPS throw it back at them, or judges let ppl off so lightly!! Where's the deterrent!?

Edited by Number 2 fan

Briggsy:

Point 1 - I don't think VAT applies to healthy food.

Point 2 - See my previous post on ending discrimination.

Point 3 - I think you will find this is illegal.

Point 4 - No one is earning £30k a year and then being paid £100k pension.

Point 5 - Targets are there for a reason. Look at the performance of the police and NHS prior to the introduction of targets and get back to me.

Point 6 - Catching people speeding probably pays for more police on the beat.

Point 7 - This already happens and it contradicts point 6 as if police aren't on traffic duty, how will they catch illegal drivers?

1. VAT does apply, because when VAT when down, so did the price of fruit and veg.

3. Its not in other countries - a lot of other countries have strict rules about letting people into their country (ie, Australia)

4. It was just an example - not a typical salary vs pension.

5. The targets system doesn't work properly - i'm sure Moonman would agree on that, and I know 2 NHS workers that don't agree with it either. In order to reach targets, major operations are being delayed, in favour of minor operations that can be done quickly and look good on the stats figures.

6. I doubt that very much because you hardly see police on the beat these days. Its more likely that speeding fines are another income for the government.

7. They'll still catch the illegal drivers that are chaving it round towns when they're patrolling. I mean the two-to-a-car motorway police that park on the hard shoulder tucked behind a bridge waiting for BMW man to do 90mph down the fast lane. I wouldn't mind that if there were excess police available to do it - but there isn't. I'd prefer it if there were two officers patrolling the pavement looking out for thugs and thieves instead. We have other technology that could be used to solve speeding issues instead.

Fruit and vegetables are zero-rated. Cold gazpacho soup in a carton is zero-rated. However, a smoothie is subject to VAT – this is because it is classed as a beverage, despite being made of fruit.

Australia is not a member of the European Union

more crimes might be getting detected, but i would urge you to look into a little more and get back to me. Easy solvabe crimes are recorded and detected - this could be something as simple as someone having cannabis on them for personal use or a shoplifter. Whereas priorty crime likes burglaries and robberies go unsolved, yet these are the ones that need investigative work as they are the most impactive of crimes. But police are told to chase the former to make up the stats. Targetting DOES NOT work simple as that. I think quanitity over quality perfectly sums up target driven policing.

So technically you could have a month whereby you catch ad convict enough people for cannabis detections and shoplifters to meet the sanctioned detection rate, yet one area gets hit hard for burglaries with no resolve...cos police are out looking for detectable crimes.

Edited by Moonman

more crimes might be getting detected, but i would urge you to look into a little more and get back to me. Easy solvabe crimes are recorded and detected - this could be something as simple as someone having cannabis on them for personal use or a shoplifter. Whereas priorty crime likes burglaries and robberies go unsolved, yet these are the ones that need investigative work as they are the most impactive of crimes.

Exactly! The same goes for the NHS - now, they'll perform loads of cataract operations or 'quick' minor operations as outpatients because they can get more done per day and it looks good on their statistics - while Granny Jones that needs a hip replacement has to wait in 3 years of pain to get it done. Also, doctors have to see so many people a day - so whereas once-upon-a-time, if you had a serious problem that you wanted to sit and talk about, your doctor would take his time and listen - but now, because he's in a rush to meet targets, he tries to rush through it or pass you onto someone else.

Again, if we had less foreigners over here, there would be less pressure on the NHS because there would be fewer people for them to see - then targets could still be reached whilst getting more major operations sorted out too.

more crimes might be getting detected, but i would urge you to look into a little more and get back to me. Easy solvabe crimes are recorded and detected - this could be something as simple as someone having cannabis on them for personal use or a shoplifter. Whereas priorty crime likes burglaries and robberies go unsolved, yet these are the ones that need investigative work as they are the most impactive of crimes. But police are told to chase the former to make up the stats. Targetting DOES NOT work simple as that. I think quanitity over quality perfectly sums up target driven policing.

So technically you could have a month whereby you catch ad convict enough people for cannabis detections and shoplifters to meet the sanctioned detection rate, yet one area gets hit hard for burglaries with no resolve...cos police are out looking for detectable crimes.

But the police have never been effective at tackling crime. They exist to ensure an "acceptable" level of crime exists. Apparently 98% of crime goes unrecorded. Look at the amount of recorded crime the police actually "solve"