What would you do to improve the country if you were prime minister?

Briggsy

Apparently 98% of crime goes unrecorded. Look at the amount of recorded crime the police actually "solve"

Exactly - because they don't have the time to solve them because they're held back by statistics. Some things take days, weeks or months to solve - and when the government are asking for X amount of arrests per day, they're having to focus on minor crimes to reach targets.

Also, when they do solve a major crime, judges are now having to let some of them go because there isn't room in our prisons any more.

We can spare billions of pounds of UK money bailing other countries out of trouble, but we can't spend any on our own country to get more prisons built or more police on the beat solving 'proper' crimes.

The problem with Labour is that they want to be friends of the world, making it look like we're mega friendly and will help any country out that is in trouble - but in the process, our own country is going rapidly downhill.

Exactly - because they don't have the time to solve them because they're held back by statistics. Some things take days, weeks or months to solve - and when the government are asking for X amount of arrests per day, they're having to focus on minor crimes to reach targets.

Also, when they do solve a major crime, judges are now having to let some of them go because there isn't room in our prisons any more.

We can spare billions of pounds of UK money bailing other countries out of trouble, but we can't spend any on our own country to get more prisons built or more police on the beat solving 'proper' crimes.

The problem with Labour is that they want to be friends of the world, making it look like we're mega friendly and will help any country out that is in trouble - but in the process, our own country is going rapidly downhill.

It is unrecorded because it isn't reported etc...

The problem with any government and the public sector at large is that it is run by too many jobsworths.

The problem with any government and the public sector at large is that it is run by too many jobsworths.

This is very true. A lot of politicians these days are 'career politicians' - they go to Uni, study politics, and then go straight into politics without any experience of what they're supposed to be fighting for. Once upon a time, an 'industry minister' had worked in industry, knew the problems, and was then able to do something about it. Now, our current industry minister has had no experience in industry - and hasn't a clue where to start.

Also simply locking more people up will not solve the problem.

Of course it does! If a burgler is locked away, it means he's not roaming around ready to burgle again. If a rapist is locked away, he can't rape again!

It is unrecorded because it isn't reported etc...

Because people know that the Police don't bother coming out most of the time now because they're too tied up hitting statistics and filling in government paperwork.

When our factory was broken in at work, it took them 2 days to come out. When my car was broken into, it took 3 days - and then I was told "well because of the time span, it'd be too hard to get fingerprints now because its been tampered with by other people since" - so what's the point in me bothering in the future?

The public have lost faith in the police force - which isn't their fault - its simply down to the government gettign them to focus on daft things rather than 'proper' crimes - the crimes which people appreciate when they're solved.

Castration for sex offenders!!

Btw some people actually commit crimes because they have no other way of keeping theirselves and are so institutionalised they want to get back to prison where they are fed and dry through winter!! Plus prisons cost alot to run!!

I have a great deal of respect for the police force in our country!!

Edited by Number 2 fan

Castration for sex offenders!!

Agreed! I also believe in a life for a life too. Why should someone be allowed to live after they've murdered someone.

I have a great deal of respect for the police force in our country!!

I respect the police that do the job for the right reasons. I appreciate they have a tough job, and I appreciate they must meet some right muppets that are always looking to p*** them off. They don't get paid a great deal considering their lives can often be at risk from idiots threatening them with guns and knives. What I do get annoyed with is the small minority of police officers that think they rule the world because they have a bit of power - there are the odd one or two that can get a bit carried away with the job and abuse it a bit.

Edited by Briggsy

I do not believe in the death sentence. Although of course alot of people deserve it, Who are we to decide who lives and who dies?? Life in prison yes, but mistakes can be made and you cannot bring someone back from the dead just because they've had a queens pardon for a miscarraige of justice or otherwise!!

By killing murderers we become NO BETTER than they are!

Also, it can mean some criminals have nothing left to lose upon being caught and will make them all the more dangerous to police and others if they think they're about to be caught!!

This is very true. A lot of politicians these days are 'career politicians' - they go to Uni, study politics, and then go straight into politics without any experience of what they're supposed to be fighting for. Once upon a time, an 'industry minister' had worked in industry, knew the problems, and was then able to do something about it. Now, our current industry minister has had no experience in industry - and hasn't a clue where to start.

Of course it does! If a burgler is locked away, it means he's not roaming around ready to burgle again. If a rapist is locked away, he can't rape again!

That is a gross misconception.

I'd say people that have thousands of wild opinions and accusations with no real evidence are a bigger problem than the overly exaggerated 'problem' with foreigners.

Also loving the 'I'm not a racist, but...' chat.

Its not foreigners bleeding the country dry, its the f***ing born and bread scum with their 18 kids and no intention of ever getting a job that are the real problem.

The way some of you are talking you think being a politician is the easiest best paid skive of a popularity contest in the world. Suppose it is if you believe 20p newspapers.

I'd say people that have thousands of wild opinions and accusations with no real evidence are a bigger problem than the overly exaggerated 'problem' with foreigners.

Its not foreigners bleeding the country dry, its the f***ing born and bread scum with their 18 kids and no intention of ever getting a job that are the real problem.

The way some of you are talking you think being a politician is the easiest best paid skive of a popularity contest in the world. Suppose it is if you believe 20p newspapers.

Spot on mate.

I'm also slightly bored of people who think that upon election one can with total ease change the face of the nation witout any regard for the political, societal or economic constraints that plainly exist in the system of democracy we have. People have simply unrelistic views of what MPs/politics can do.

Exactly.

A more realistic title for this thread is "If you were God for the day..."

If governing a country was as simple as, lets face it, most people with an opinion make out, then why isn't the world perfect.

Democracy is a funny thing. It baffles me to start with how people that don't vote feel they have a leg to stand on when critisising the government. It also baffles me how people go on about "career politicians" getting to the top with no real knowledge in their field.

Who exactly is voting these people in then? The Polish? Slovakians?

Britain as a people needs to look firmly at itself before it has a go at the very people trying to fix it in the most demanding circumstances possible.

I don't f***ing blame the odd politician for ripping the arse out it, they don't all work in Briggsy's imaginary £300,000 per annum constituency.

But if you think anyone else can do better, vote for them instead, just do the homework involved first.

I dont recall anyone ever solely blaming foreigners for bleeding the country dry. It was merely one point as highlighted by someone. No one has stated that being a politician would be easy either, so i am totally perplexed as to where you have got this from. You're paraphrasing comments already made and think they are the be all and end all without scratching any deeper than the surface. Also, lets do a little role reversal, where do you get your info about "f***ing born and bread scum with their 18 kids" that are the problem from? surely thats applying the same principles as you claim other people have with their comments about foreigners? You go and slate someone for throwing "wild opinions and accusations" around when you have done the exact same thing in my eyes. So as far as i'm concerned, your comment is insipid.

I dont recall anyone ever solely blaming foreigners for bleeding the country dry. It was merely one point as highlighted by someone. No one has stated that being a politician would be easy either, so i am totally perplexed as to where you have got this from. You're paraphrasing comments already made and think they are the be all and end all without scratching any deeper than the surface. Also, lets do a little role reversal, where do you get your info about "f***ing born and bread scum with their 18 kids" that are the problem from? surely thats applying the same principles as you claim other people have with their comments about foreigners? You go and slate someone for throwing "wild opinions and accusations" around when you have done the exact same thing in my eyes. So as far as i'm concerned, your comment is insipid.

Spot on - well said!