Paul Van Dyk-For An Angel 2009

JasonB

So far I have heard Pauls own revision, Inpettos remix and Durands rework.

Pauls is okay, Inpettos seems pretty pointless and Durands is good

Overall the full remix package I feel will be very dissapointing considering its taken 11 years for new ones to be done.

Whats everyones views, should it have been left alone or is it now worth getting new remixes done? who would be ideal remixers?

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So far I have heard Pauls own revision, Inpettos remix and Durands rework.

Pauls is okay, Inpettos seems pretty pointless and Durands is good

Overall the full remix package I feel will be very dissapointing considering its taken 11 years for new ones to be done.

Whats everyones views, should it have been left alone or is it now worth getting new remixes done? who would be ideal remixers?

IT SHOULD HAVE BEEN LEFT ALONE!!! I like Durand but I'm getting a bit sick of seeing his name on all the classics being remixed, him and Bailey and all the usual suspects FFS.

I like to hear an old tune here and there, and it's nice to get an updated version to drop in a set amongst todays tunes so that we can again hear and enjoy on a night out, but JEEZ is the Bandwagon even big enough anymore. AND.........why do we need it updated by ABSOLUTELY everyone who owns any kinda DJ/production software?? If you can take a classic (from 1999-2002) and do something fantastic with it, by all means do, but it doesn't need another 20 ppl to nip and tuck it here and there. MAKE SOMETHING AS GOOD BUT ALL BY YOURSELVES PURLEEEEEEEEEEEEASE!! Or can't you?

That's my current view on the matter! Or choose from a different time slot!

Edited by Number 2 fan

Durands is kinda miminal its nice but could be better unless its only a early version played during his tatw guest mix.

the Inpetto mix is basically a Inpetto track except for the breakdown, wasted oppourtunity.

New mixes of this are welcome but they are going to have to be pretty special to top the original in any way.

A big bold bangin kick up the ass remix ala Tyas at his best would be good aswell as a long epic proggy remix, none of this minimal proggy crap proper prog of old, I'm not sure who i'd go for for that maybe Jaytech or someone like that would do a decent job of it.

Edited by JasonB

Not heard any of the new mixes but have heard bad things about all three, Durand does nothing for me, never has really. Inpetto have their moments but the sounds are always the same & it'd have been better getting a Duderstadt remix

Generally, I dont really like these remixes of all the trance classics from the 98/99 era. The main reason is that most of them never come close to being a good enough update of the original.

I think that a tune like For An Angel has the potential for a very good new remix now 11 years on and actually its not a tune I've heard many remixes of over the years where as some other classics have been remixed to death which is very annoying.

I agree with Number 2 though.. getting a whole load of people to remix a track just ends up with a whole load of crap remixes. It would be better if one person just did a great remix. I guess the advantage of doing an official 2009 remix package though is that the remixers would be given the proper parts to do it - giving them far more potential than if they just did some bootleg using samples from the original track.

I havn't heard any of these remixes yet and the thing is I would be very happy if one them turns out to be an absolute belter of a remix. But from the reaction so far in the thread I dont have high expectations.

I really think that remixing the old classics is worth doing but only if its bloody good! If they were done less frequently as well they'd have more impact on a set.

This should have been left well alone in my opinion - they'll never better the original. It has to be said though, even the original was over-rated back in its day. Paul's best one was Avenue in my opinion.

As for remixing classics though - I don't mind classics being remixed. People need to get over this "classics should be left alone" thing - the Matt Hardwick board is full of people still living in 1999. HOWEVER, if classics are to be remixed, then they should be done properly - classics are classics for a reason - they stand out as being superb tunes - so unless a remix can come even close, then they should leave it alone. Its good to hear a tune from ten years ago being freshened up for a second lease of life.

There's some cracking remixes around that are as good as the originals, if not better, at the moment. Greg Downey's remix of Mansun's Wide Open Space for example, and Richard Durand's remix of Art Of Trance - Madagascar.

Some tunes have been remixed to death though and should be left alone now - such as Born Slippy. Every man and his dog has remixed that.

This should have been left well alone in my opinion - they'll never better the original. It has to be said though, even the original was over-rated back in its day. Paul's best one was Avenue in my opinion.

I always thought "Another Way" was his best - that one is beautiful. And i concur, For An Angel is good, but soooooooooo overated.

As for remixing classics though - I don't mind classics being remixed. People need to get over this "classics should be left alone" thing - the Matt Hardwick board is full of people still living in 1999. HOWEVER, if classics are to be remixed, then they should be done properly - classics are classics for a reason - they stand out as being superb tunes - so unless a remix can come even close, then they should leave it alone. Its good to hear a tune from ten years ago being freshened up for a second lease of life.

Wholly agree, although sometimes i think the classics are needlessly remixed. I would rather hear new music over an old tune any day though - push things forward and all that.

Remixing classic tracks is way over done imo, it seems to be an easy buck for the remixers & a lot of the time the effort just isn't there (ala this Inpetto remix). The odd remix can be great but I think everyone will agree there are way more rubbish remixes of classics than good ones?

The new versions of 'Into The Night' by 4 Strings are god awful, the original instrumental version of that track has never been topped but people keep on remixing it.

The best remixes of classics are done by peope like JOC & Kearney, they use the less obvious ones then keep them primarily for their own sets, which makes them so unique.

I like Avenue better too but i have such a good memory from seeing PVD at Creamfields and he dropped for an angel, you know how it is, sometimes you have to have been there, so I can't explain it, but it was FU*KING AWESOME!!!

One of the best moments of my life in fact so i have a soft spot for that tune now, but also, I am getting sick of ppl ripping off fantastic tunes. I'd rather hear the old versions.

This is the point I was trying to make but better explained - so I wasn't so much meaning to have a rant against remixing classics.

There have been some really good remixes of classics:

Vincent de moor - fly away (cosmic gate remix)

Art of Trance - Madagascar (Richard Durand) (agree with you there Briggsy)

Warrior - If You Want Me (Paul Webster)

Sasha - Xpanda (Mark Norman)

Primer - Everlast (Ben Gold)

Veracocha vs Patterson - Carte Smack - a very good bootleg

These have all really delivered as remixes that are either better than the original or just bring them up to date so they fit in to a new set and sound fresh again. However there are way more examples of poor remixes/bootlegs but I wont bother going into that any more.

I think that Adam K and Soha remix of 'Reflekt - Need To Feel Loved' is really good. I can see how people think its pointless/dull but it really hits the spot for me, and I actually prefer it to the original (which im suprised about too) because of the way I can chill to it more. It just goes to show that when someone thinks one remix is crap, someone else will really like it. I do have mixed views on the whole classics being remixed thing though.

Add Heatbeat to the pointless rework list.

To be fair to them though, most of the stuff they do is for their own use and a select few - but their 'contacts' can't be very trustworthy because thye get leaked left, right and centre over the internet.

I agree with Tom about Bryan Kearney and JOC though. They're about the best around for unofficial remixes at the moment.

However there are way more examples of poor remixes/bootlegs but I wont bother going into that any more.

Very true mate. Unfortunately, its a cheap way of people knocking something out to get notuiced and climb up the DJ ladder. They knock out a few bootlegs or crap remixes, get noticed, and suddenly get booked based on that - not because they're actually good on the decks, which is a big problem in the music industry at the moment. There are far too many poor DJ's playing big gigs simply because they're marketable, whilst there are mega-talented DJ's playing at home or at small gigs that can't get a break because they don't produce or knock out bootlegs.

I think that Adam K and Soha remix of 'Reflekt - Need To Feel Loved' is really good. I can see how people think its pointless/dull but it really hits the spot for me, and I actually prefer it to the original (which im suprised about too) because of the way I can chill to it more. It just goes to show that when someone thinks one remix is crap, someone else will really like it. I do have mixed views on the whole classics being remixed thing though.

That's the trouble really innit, some remixes are actually just what they need to be done like, either a total rework or a mere hint of a remix pending on the tune but when you get to the 50th time you've heard it remixed in as many days it kinda starts putting you off even the original best mixes.

It is getting a touch out of hand atm though, and just before Xmas I thought we were in for some cracking originals but ppl just pumping them out willy nilly in order to keep their names out and about is making it s***.

I really like Heatbeat personally, but there's only so much of something a human can take. I'd rather ppl made less tunes but much much better ones than all this laziness.

Has anyone heard the Bailey remix of Des Mitchell's welcome to the dance btw?