Swine Flu - Worried?

kml

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That is the case with any war, kml, which is why when the threat of terrorism began in 2003 it was referred to as an 'invasion' rather than a 'war' because saying its a 'war' meant costs would have to be paid at the end. Will it ever end though? I don't think it can.

I think there will always be terrorism and that it is a problem that can not be solved via military means alone.

Surely if the UK goes fighting wars in these countries then it should pay money towards reconstruction and improving the security situation for those who live there.

We shouldn't have been in those wars to start with. President Bush just had a bee in his bonnet - he wanted to finish the job his dad never did when he was in power. There never were any weapons found. Anyway, thats another subject - the point is, there's loads of countries around the world, yet its always the UK that helps other countries. Other countries go to war, we step in to help out. If there's an earthquake somewhere, we send money over to help. If there's a tsunami somewhere, we send money over too. If there was another disaster somewhere else in the world tomorrow - we'd send more money over again - even though we haven't got it.

The same goes for the Olympics. Do we really need to spend millions upon millions of pounds for an event that will only last a few weeks? The cost announced to the public is never the final cost anyway - they always mess up and it ends up being double the cost - just like Wembley stadium. That went massively over-budget. In fact, that was something else that government money was wasted on. Wembley stadium is very rarely close to being full for England matches - yet whilst England were touring the country when Wembley was being rebuilt, England games were sell-outs - even the midweek friendlies.

This government continually wastes money - and then Taxpayers have to end up coughing up to make up for it. If they'd saved some of that money, they'd be able to lower taxes now to help out families that need it.

daily_mail_ted.jpg

Every f***ing time Briggsy.

Honestly the most misinformed person I've ever come across on a message board. Do you ever actually do any research or thinking whatsoever before you post on topical views?

The olympics is a waste of money? Not sure how you type that noise and facial expression you make when you hear something so daft you can't quite comprehend, but thats what I'm currently doing.

Can't say I'm surprised about the war idea either.

God save the queen etc.....

Every f***ing time Briggsy.

Honestly the most misinformed person I've ever come across on a message board. Do you ever actually do any research or thinking whatsoever before you post on topical views?

f*** off mate! Every time you disagree with something, you come back with some half-assed patronising reply without any valid explanation as to why you think you're right. In fact, when it comes to chatting s*** on this board, you've been one of the worst culprits - and then when someone has pointed it out, you've come back with the same old excuse "sorry lads, I typed that at 4am after a heavy night out and I was p***ed".

Research what exactly? Have I actually quoted any figures, statistics or anything else - erm..... no, so what research do I need to do?

The point is - we've got people struggling for cash in this country. FACT. We've got people currently out of work in this country. FACT. This government has bailed out banks and companies and had to borrow the money to do so. FACT. We've been involved in the Afhanistan war, Iraq war, and thrown money at other countries when they're in trouble. FACT.

Now, what exactly has been done to help those people that are out of work - erm... not a lot, in fact, the opposite - Labour have announced that Job Centre's are closing because they cost too much to run. Now, how many Job Centres could we have kept open if we weren't wasting money solving other countries problems, or spending OTT amounts of money on Olympics and football stadiums that could have been done at a fraction of the cost if they'd been thought through properly.

So before you come back with another t**tty dig, YOU go away and do your research. See how much Wembley stadium was supposed to cost, and see how much it actually cost when it was finished. See how much the Olympics was supposed to cost, and see how much it will actually cost when its finished.

So, unless you can tell me that we haven't got a huge national debt because we've bailed banks and countries out, and we've not gone massively over-budget with government funded projects, and we haven't sent money over to other countries to help them out whilst our country struggles on, then I think you'll find I have some valid points. if you don't like those points, then its tough - they're there anyway. Deal with it.

Edited by Briggsy

Heard on the news it is now a PANDEMIC

so maybe there is something to worry about

There's only been 5 cases in the UK, and the government are wasting money on TV adverts "to make us aware of it", ordering something like 52 million face masks, and putting leaflets through everyone's door in the UK.

Talk about mad panic! More people would have been hit by cars yesterday but we're not suddenly gonna start wrapping everyone that crosses a road up in cotton wool.

Unless people have been living in a cave for a week, then they'll already know about Swine Flu anyway. They don't really need to put a TV advert on during the news telling us about it when its been top story on the news for 10 minutes. What a waste of money.

There are plenty of supplies stock-piled anyway, the country was preparing for bird flu (which was the primary concern) but obviously that was contained. I don't think it's going over-board to get prepared for this or any other pandemic which may arise.

There are certainly worse things that the government wastes money on.

Its not the supplies so much - its the unneccessary waste of money on TV adverts (which start from today) highlighting the virus. If people have been watching the news at 10 for half an hour, then the top story will be Swine Flu - so it just seems a bit daft and pointless paying to put on a TV advert telling us what the news has just been telling us for free.

I dunno if it's a waste to use TV advertising to tell people about things that are important. This is an important thing, and people take more notice of TV than anything else IMO! People on Mass also panic and act stupid and listen to rumour and take peoples words for things when they really shouldn't. When this first broke in the news my Mother - in - Law rung up and told me how worried she was and it was so worrying for her so soon after the worry of Bird flu, I must admit I said "why are you worrying about it?" but she wont have been the only one worrying. Some people aswell we only read the bits they want to, and some people are too dim to form their own opinions about issues. So I think a TV advert is the best way to go. We are more likely to see an advert than watch the news. Well I'm not coz I have sky plus, but I mean most people LMFAO!!

Same with all the usual things people are too thick to do for them selves, like drink in hot weather, use sun cream, take other peoples medication, not neuter their pets, walk on frozen lakes, play on train tracks, and buy s*** off ebay. ;)

More Tv ads should be made for useful information IMO, some are made but only shown at 3am and s***.

Perhaps they should have made a few regards C-Diff and MRSA at least 10 - 15 yrs ago, and then maybe we wouldn't be in the mess with these things that we are in now. I worked in Private Healthcare for years and we were even briefed about Anthrax when it was appropriate. Information is a good thing!

As they said once before " don't die of ignorance " ;) People still do not wear condoms!! Imagine if they hadn't been told to wear them and why.

Edited by Number 2 fan