New Track & Remix!

Just completed a new track entitled 'Evasion'. The Original Mix is a nice pumping trancer & the Tech Mix is slightly more laid back.

The Original Mix is completed but I may do some more work to the Tech Mix. I'm generally into the more hard edged tech so I'm producing in unknown territory. Would love some tips for what else I can do with it.

For those of you who don't like downloading without listening there's a player on the download page :)

Links:

Original Mix 128k

TJ's Tech Mix 128k

Cheers! :)

Theres nothing I can say well type except superb! the Tech mix I liked more than the original but both are top notch.

It's always the same you get loads of viewers of a thread or downloads of something you upload(even though its 128 you may get someone somewhere banging it out in a club and looking a fool especially on a big ass system :lol:!- if you dont get that joke listen to that nick fancuilli intrview on beatportal!)and no responses :(, maybe people download stuff anf then forget all about it.

just downloading these too mate, sorry only just seen them and I always intend to leave feedback cos I know how annoying it is when people dont respond. I will have a listen tomorrow at some point but if these are as good as your previous offerings I'm sure they'll get a good review from me.

Just listened to both. As usual from your self a solid overall production sound. I'd say that the kick is a little too quiet. In the original, when it gets to the main part of the track, it's obscure and doesn't stand out in the mix. You could chalk this up to personal preference, as I do like a solid thump to be the focal point of a tune, but this aside I still think it's too quiet.

As for the Tech mix, I've actually downloaded this one (well I wanted to but the server is having a go slow). Still a bit on the trancy side for me, but rather nice all the same. Do post when you've finished it.

Yeah cool I like that, Nice and fast too. Everyone is a bit airy fairy these days but I like this. Nice one!!

Wish I could conjure up something of this fashion and plop in the samples I have for a cool breakdown but you are obviously far more talented than I.

What do you use?

BTW 3,000! :)

Edited by Number 2 fan

Yeah cool I like that, Nice and fast too. Everyone is a bit airy fairy these days but I like this. Nice one!!

Wish I could conjure up something of this fashion and plop in the samples I have for a cool breakdown but you are obviously far more talented than I.

What do you use?

BTW 3,000! :)

I use FL Studio. People complain that it's a bit basic but I still haven't found it's limits. It's probably the best software to start off with because it's pretty easy to get the hang of & there's loads of really good tutorials floating about the web. If you can get hold of it have a play around & I'm sure you'll be churning out classics in no time.

Nice track tim i like the original 320 copy would be handy :D

On it's way mate :)

Edited by Tim451

I use FL Studio. People complain that it's a bit basic but I still haven't found it's limits. It's probably the best software to start off with because it's pretty easy to get the hang of & there's loads of really good tutorials floating about the web. If you can get hold of it have a play around & I'm sure you'll be churning out classics in no time.

Yeah I was using that, but I was getting a bit stuck, I ended up getting loadsa stuff I liked, I put my samples in from elsewhwere that i wanted to use, I dreamed of the tune at night but I couldn't get it into FL's as a tune, got really frustrated in the end and gave up on FL and moved to Ableton live but haven't got stuck into that yet!! I think my FL's was a demo and that may have been the problem? Too broke to buy it atm though, or ever...........

Yeah I was using that, but I was getting a bit stuck, I ended up getting loadsa stuff I liked, I put my samples in from elsewhwere that i wanted to use, I dreamed of the tune at night but I couldn't get it into FL's as a tune, got really frustrated in the end and gave up on FL and moved to Ableton live but haven't got stuck into that yet!! I think my FL's was a demo and that may have been the problem? Too broke to buy it atm though, or ever...........

I tend not to use too many samples. I only really use samples for percussion generally. I'll have a kick sample for example on one channel (e.g. channel 1) then i'll EQ it & add some compression using the mixer & lay out the beats in the step sequencer (4 beats). Once i've done that i'll draw 16 bars of it (4 beats to a bar) in the main sequencing window. Then i'll move to channel 2 & assign something else to that (possibly a hat sample) then lay it out in the step sequencer, add some reverb & adjust the EQ, etc, then lay out 16 bars of that. I keep doing that until I have all of the percussion for my track laid out across 16 bars (each element usually on a single track). Then I can adjust paramaters to get it all fitting in nicely. Then I move on to the bassline. I lay out the melody using the piano roll then fill the 16 bars with it in the main sequencing window. Then add some effects (EQ, compression, etc) & get it all sounding nicely together. I usually add a peak controller to the kick & link the bassline's volume controller to it so that when the kick hits the bass kills slightly to get it driving along (I do this on a lot of instruments & even percussion sometimes). Then I just carry on with the other instruments until I have the main crescendo of my track laid out. Then I add in other parts for each instrument & play around to see how each part transitions from one to the other. After that I lay out the track from start to finish & give it a few listens & play around with the structure. Once I'm happy I work on adding automation to paramaters so instruments can fade in & out nicely where needed. Then I listen some more & make any changes that need making. Finally if the track needs mastering (depends how well each instrument has been EQ'ed) I'll add a multi band compressor to the master channel & tweak until I'm happy with it.

Hopefully that should get you started lol.

Yeah the FL demo isn't the best because you can't save & when you export you get a hissing sound play over the track every now & then to tell everyone that you made it with the demo. There are, of course, plenty of places to 'obtain' such software online but I don't encourage or condone doing so. The basic version of FL is pretty cheap. Definitely a good investment.

Interesting reading mate - I've still never tried out production but it's something I keep meaning to do. Maybe I'll look at investing in FL's as a start point.

The track is really good mate - the original mix - nice breakdown - I'd also love a 320 copy if you would be so kind.

The tech mix sounds well produced too but I prefer the original as there's more to the track.

Keep it up!

Interesting reading mate - I've still never tried out production but it's something I keep meaning to do. Maybe I'll look at investing in FL's as a start point.

The track is really good mate - the original mix - nice breakdown - I'd also love a 320 copy if you would be so kind.

The tech mix sounds well produced too but I prefer the original as there's more to the track.

Keep it up!

I'll get a 320 sorted for ya.

Yeah I wasn't really sure what to do with the tech mix. I find tech harder to produce because it's generally bass & percussion driven (which can get boring if not done right) as opposed to straight up trance which has more melody to keep the listener interested. Every techy track I've made so far (except Sundown) has been a bit on the boring side.

Yeah I know what you mean. A lot of tech stuff is very simple... but if you get exactly the right sound for the track.. it can almost just be very repetitive all the way through and still be an amazing tune. I find this with Sander Van Doorns stuff for example.. generally not too much going on but I love nearly every tune he's produced.

I wouldn't say all your stuff is boring though. I liked Spirals and this new one is good. To be honest I dont think Ive heard any of your other productions (apart from sundown which is also good).

Yeah I know what you mean. A lot of tech stuff is very simple... but if you get exactly the right sound for the track.. it can almost just be very repetitive all the way through and still be an amazing tune. I find this with Sander Van Doorns stuff for example.. generally not too much going on but I love nearly every tune he's produced.

I wouldn't say all your stuff is boring though. I liked Spirals and this new one is good. To be honest I dont think Ive heard any of your other productions (apart from sundown which is also good).

Yeah it's all about getting the right sound. The kind of track where if you removed the smallest element it just wouldn't be the same. I find myself getting it almost right but then messing around with it too much & ruining it. There are about 30 dead tracks on my computer where I laid a few bars down to play with & just couldn't get the feel I was after.

I'd like to add another voice of support for Fruity Loops. It does exactly what I want it to do, programming and exporting synths, with ease in a straightforward manner. As for the, it's not professional enough, school of thought. You can do exactly the same in there (input synths, edit parameters and automate) that you can with more complex programs like cubase etc. Plus, I make frequent use of the 3Osc which I love for making dirty bass lines with.

However, I don't use FL it as a main sequencer. The way the playlist sequencer/automation works doesn't quite feel all that intuiative. Instead I export processed loops from FL/Reason and use Acid to make the final arrangement and mixdown. It's a bit of an old fashioned way of doing things, but I find it produces my best results.

3xOsc is great for those nice electro style basslines. I find myself using the bass presets in Sytrus quite a lot lately (to be honest I prefer Sytrus over the several third party synth vst's that I have). Some of the deeper ones such as 'Electric' used with heavy compression & some boost on the low end make some really powerful techno style basslines.

I have considered using Acid for sequencing & mastering but I'm not very proficient with it. I guess I'm just used to the way things are done in FL because i've been using it for about a year. I have at points tried to switch over to Ableton but again I just couldn't get to grips with it. If anyone's got any tips or knows about any good tutorials for Acid or Ableton then sling 'em my way lol.

It's well worth having a play around with. There's a massive range of presets & I don't usually bother altering them much. Most of the work I do is in the mixer with the EQ, compression, stereo enhancing, balancing, phase & flange effects, etc. I find that is usually all I need to do to get the sound I'm looking for.