Some feedback/input please?

Right, I'm not sure how many of you are familiar with my show 'The Progressive Showcase' but long story short it's been running for over three years across various stations & has racked up almost 100 episodes. Since Jan last year I've been presenting the show as a bi-weekly two hour audio feast getting in guests & so on.

Anyway I've been thinking about a slight revamp to the show & the way in which it is run. I'm happy with the run time & the frequency of broadcasts as bi-weekly gives me plenty of time to fit the show in around work, gigs & whatever else may arise. The areas I'm interested in are pretty much small scale changes (as I reckon the show has done alright thus far but I just want to re-jig it a little)

Basically I'm throwing the thread open to ideas (within reason).

Currently I try to present a show featuring a two hour mix from myself & a show featuring a 60mins guest mixer each month on alternate weeks. Would a higher rate of guest mixers improve the show or should I feature more of my extended sets?

Also I don't currently employ any 'features', the show is simply two hours of straight up music. What are people's opinions on things like 'tune of the week' & other such segments, label samplers, producer showcases, etc.

These are some of the basic ideas I have used previously & just wondered whether people would like to see me using them in the future or whether people believe the show is better off keeping as it is.

Thoughts please...

:)

Currently I try to present a show featuring a two hour mix from myself & a show featuring a 60mins guest mixer each month on alternate weeks. Would a higher rate of guest mixers improve the show or should I feature more of my extended sets?

To be honest, I wouldn't venture too far away from what you're already doing. Too many people all go down the same route now - tunes of the week, guest mixes from the same predictable faces, novelty features, charts, etc.

If i'm listening to a show, I prefer to hear non-stop tunes for the duration of the show - with minimal talking, no interuptions, and no gimmicks. I'm also not a huge fan of guest mixes - if there was anyone in particular I wanted to hear, i'd check out their own mixes - for example, if I was listening to a Bryan Kearney radio show, then i'd be tuning in to hear him - not a guest mix from Fred Baker or Adam Sheridan. If I wanted to hear those, i'd listen to their own shows.

One thing I always like is variation - now we're in the MP3 era, the days of limited pressings of white labels and obscure tracks have gone - everyone has the same tunes available at the same time now - so I prefer a DJ to dig out an older tune or two that isn't very predictable (ie, something along the lines of Frank Trax - Nebuchan or Plastic Boy - Silverbath, etc - everyone plays the "Cafe Del Mar's" or "Greece 2000" - and they're too predictable as classics).

Simple and effective is best, not overloaded with features. Jules's show is a prime example - we all preferred the Friday night shows years ago when Jules just got on with it. The Saturday show is full of gimmicks, and it spoils it.

Edited by Briggsy

Simple and effective is best, not overloaded with features. Jules's show is a prime example - we all preferred the Friday night shows years ago when Jules just got on with it. The Saturday show is full of gimmicks, and it spoils it.

Hear hear!

People have more attention span than the media portays - so let the music run and the interruptions and gimmicks cease.

Tom for the record your show is great, don't change a winning formula sir. Maybe on the hour mark dig out "a tune from under the bed", but that'd be it for me - otherwise just more quality mixes and music please B)

Maybe on the hour mark dig out "a tune from under the bed", but that'd be it for me - otherwise just more quality mixes and music please B)

Yeah, thats all i'd say aswell really - its always nice to hear an oldie that has been forgotten about. Other than that, stick with what you've got :D

Thanks for all the comments so far. I wasn't planning any radical changes, just wanted to gauge opinion on general issues like the ones I raised in the intial post.

Tomorrow's show I'm going to feature two one hour mixes instead of the usual solid two hours, just to see how that goes across. I'd prefer to have one longer set more often than not as it obviously gives me chance to build things up as I would in a club set. However quite a few people have raised the issue that a two hour set isn't very friendly for CDs & can take a while to download.

The two seperate sets should also give me flexibility on the bpm front as I've got hour one at 130 bpm & hour two at 135.

Any other thoughts or ideas please feel free to post :)

• 2 weeks later...

Apologies for dragging this up again but I have another quick question for you all.

In September I'll be presenting the 100th edition of The Progressive Showcase (we've done 30-odd on sense as well as 60 shows on the previous host stations) & I was wondering how I should celebrate the occasion?

Any thoughts welcome...

In September I'll be presenting the 100th edition of The Progressive Showcase (we've done 30-odd on sense as well as 60 shows on the previous host stations) & I was wondering how I should celebrate the occasion?

Any thoughts welcome...

How about two hours of your favourite tunes that you've played throughout the course of your previous 99 shows?

Thanks for the input guys, I'm hoping to extend the show to a whopping four hours. There will definately be a homage to past tracks which have defined the show. I'm also hoping to have a live recording to include from a very special party & then I'm going to work around the remaining slots (should I get the go-ahead for all four hours).

I'm tempted to ask for 30mins guest mixes from previous guests of the show to feature in there somewhere too but haven't decided whether to press on with this.

Two points I'd like to make that I think you should take into account before I add my two pence to the thread.

1) I have had heavy involvement in real live (non-internet radio) broadcasting. Not trying to say here that my opinion is more important or more informed, but to point out that I have some clear, and probably heavily biased, ideas as to what constitutes a radio show and what doesn't.

2) I've never had a listen to your show. Sorry buddy, but not really my bag.

I agree and disagree with some of the points raised so far.

Firstly, two hours of just music makes for a boring show. Yes the music may be good but I (and I'm sure many others) listen to hours of music a day without any context or flow. The odd vocal work glues everything together and adds flow to a show, making it more engaging on the part of the listener. Remember you don't have to go the club dj warmup/shoutout route, which would be unsuited to your musical style anway. Can easily go the muso route and talk about the producers, label, club nights associated with any tunes your playing. If someone has a passion for the tunes and an interest in the scene/culture you'll not be short of things to say.

Secondly features are good. Just make sure that they are not the focus of the show (one an hour tops) and they are original and fresh ideas (not classic of the week or guest mixes). I'll leave the thinking to you, but I've tried stuff like B side of the week, working though the alphabet, musical links (play three tunes with a connection - Track A produced by X, who worked with producer Y on Track B in studio whatever where Track C was made). Plenty to use with some thought.

Not sure about four hours though. It's intimidating to a listener. I've only go so many hours of the day and listening time is precious and valuable. The elitists and mega-fans will love it but you'll alienate getting a bigger audience.

Internet 'radio' is all a bit samey to be honest. Just some guy playing some tunes with little to make it stand out. Anything you can do to make it stand out is good.

May not be your thing (tech-step/neuro-funk) but check out the Lifted Podcast. I think they do things really well. Bit of chat, plenty of tunes, listener interaction, short and sharp at three quarters of an hour. Probabaly a bit too much chat to beginwith but they are trying to cram a lot into a short space. With more room to breathe it would make a great radio show in my view.

Sorry for the discourse...

Edited by Spin Doctor

I don't fully agree with those comments to be honest. The beauty of internet radio, as opposed to FM radio, is that DJ's are allowed to do their own thing without management or producers interfering. FM radio is full of chit-chat, gimmicks and features. If i'm tuning into a dance music show, its usually because i'm tuning in for plenty of tunes in the mix. I don't want to hear loads of info about tunes, the artists, etc - if I really like a tune, I can google all of that. I prefer to hear the music do the talking.

What we all liked about Jules's old Friday night show was the fact that it was all music, in the mix, with just a minimal amount of chit-chat and gimmicks. The Saturday show was always the show with lots of chit-chat, gimmicks, features, etc - and it spoilt it.

I understand what you're saying, and yes feature/talk overkill is a terrible thing. But I'm not sure the 'freedom' of internet radio really does produce a thing beauty. I really like to seeing people put some effort into a show and having a bit more though than just two hours of tunes I could just as easily listen to without using up my bandwith.

Doesn't have to be much as a little goes a long way, but there really needs to be something other than just the music. Just like clubs who feature 'David whogivesaf*** Harpendon - the freshest talent in clubland' who have a website with them in a cool designer t-s***, jeans bit of stubble and aviator glasses, the internet is awash with bland identikit djs with no other real reason to listen. Not saying you are here Tom in the slightest, but just making a general point.

At the time, yes I did just want to hear jules mix for two hours solid. But now my perspectives have changed. Moresonw when the internet can provide countless live mix sets from clubs with NO radio interaction. I want a bit more. Where's the knowledge, the passion for the music? I don't just want to hear something, I want to be engaged, want to learn something, want to get the feeling that the person playing me this music loves it as much as I do.

This is exactly the kind of debate that I wanted to get going here, thanks for the input. The four hour show is simply a one-off, the station encouraged me to extend things to celebrate the 100th episode. It won't be a straight four hours mixing but will feature different things (the specifics of which I'm yet to work on).

I've always endeavoured to make the show as much about the music as possible, the downloads I put up on this site feature no jingles or any other vocal interraction as they are simply intended to feature the mixing, when the show is broadcast there are jingles & whatnot but as yet I've not gone down the talking route, it's something I have thought about but from the feedback I received here & other places I've opened up discussion it's not been mentioned as an essential component.

I'm always looking to improve things & to make the show better (hence the conception of this thread in the first place).