Wish it was 1999 again!

Number2Fan

:(

Just had Kevin and Perry on ITV 2 and it made me feel sad, where's it all gone, I wish I had a time machine.

Playing Ayla now (DJ Taucher mix) I find it sooooo moving! It really does take me back to that time.

Do you think people just that are 'having it large' now will feel this way in 10 yrs when they play the tunes they are hearing out now?? Is it just the nostalgia factor that makes me wish I could go back and hear them all again, played by Jules, in those clubs, or at the parties I was at. Is it just another sad part of getting old?

Edited by Simcut

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No, it was way better back then. Trance clubs were strong on a weekly basis, and the tunes back then are 10 times better than they are now.

There's some good tunes around now, but they're all a little 'generic' compared to stuff from the 90's. We'll never hear tunes like Ferry's remix of Adagio For Strings, Faithless - Insomnia, Lost Witness - Happiness Happening, etc again - the quality and unpredictablilty of those tunes p***es all over any tune from the past few years.

I swear I was gonna make a thread about the same thing. I had this conversation many times with my mates, and we always wonder, is it us being overly nostalgic about that era, or are people getting the same enjoyment outta tunes etc now? I honestly dont think so. Sure theres good music around now, but nothing that makes you go, wow, or tugs at the heart strigs, a la Ayla. Just my opinion of course, but loads of my friends think likewise.

I think the fact that theres so much music around, therein making it more throwaway, is a big factor in this. There was nothing better than that white label vinyl you bought and didn't think much of, suddenly being the Tried and Tested tune a month later. You could claim to be a musical genius.

Its also the scariest thing in the world to think that this was all TEN years ago now.

i always get nostalgic when i watch that film. Yes it does take the p*** a bit, but it's got all references in it that were popular at the time (kangol caps, Mixmag, Ministry, Amnesia and of course all the right tunes that summed clubbing up then). But i do think that clubbing in terms if atmosphere and tunes peaked in 98 - 99.

I agree!

I've many many memories attached to the Trance window of 99.

The significance of it has only become clearer as time has gone on - that actually, we witnessed an amazing niche of electronic dance music history, its explosion, and then its death. :(

I agree!

I've many many memories attached to the Trance window of 99.

The significance of it has only become clearer as time has gone on - that actually, we witnessed an amazing niche of electronic dance music history, its explosion, and then its death. :(

Very true. But wasn't it just something special to be part of it?

What p's me off something else, I read a history of dance article (mixmag I think), and the only years they talked about negatively was 99 and 2000 calling it the 'trance dark ages' or something similar. I mean come off it. I'm no fan of Nirvana, but I wouldnt be as ignorant as to just dismiss their music or the influence they had. Whether you like the music of that era or not, you cant deny its relevence, or just how plain fun it was.

Very true. But wasn't it just something special to be part of it?

What p's me off something else, I read a history of dance article (mixmag I think), and the only years they talked about negatively was 99 and 2000 calling it the 'trance dark ages' or something similar. I mean come off it. I'm no fan of Nirvana, but I wouldnt be as ignorant as to just dismiss their music or the influence they had. Whether you like the music of that era or not, you cant deny its relevence, or just how plain fun it was.

yes, but then mixmag are like that aren't they? They build something (or someone up) then knock them down. They were all over Jules in 98-99 saying how good he was, then as "tribal" house started to become popular in late 2000 he was cheesy.

It would be nice to go back ten years tough, i'd be 17 again! And i wouldn't have binned my Judge Jules radio show tapes. There are a few things i would have done differently aswell....

I was too young to experience it properly but tunage wise it amazes me how many amazing tracks were around back then. I dug out a few old CDs from 1999 when I first got into trance music, the sheer quantity of amazing tunes is something to behold.

My personal favourite year for clubbing was 2004, it was the year I got my first set of decks & the year when I went to Godskitchen pretty much every single week

yes, but then mixmag are like that aren't they? They build something (or someone up) then knock them down. They were all over Jules in 98-99 saying how good he was, then as "tribal" house started to become popular in late 2000 he was cheesy.

It would be nice to go back ten years tough, i'd be 17 again! And i wouldn't have binned my Judge Jules radio show tapes. There are a few things i would have done differently aswell....

Yep. Tribals where its at. No, its electro. I mean minimal. Or is it nu rave? They'll jump on anything just to be cool.

Ah man i loved that year, and wouldnt change a second (though I really should!!!!!)

Those jules tapes were like a religon with me and my mates at that time. We never missed a show. Then they got chewed, lost/stolen, and we spent years then saying 'i shoulda looked after them'. Then lo and behold, I found JJA. Was over the moon, plus was able to contribute a few sets aswell. Incidently, does anyone rem Jules' live Mardi Gras round 99? I'd love to hear that again, real summery set.

yes, but then mixmag are like that aren't they?

It would be nice to go back ten years tough, i'd be 17 again!

See that's what makes me think it was the uplifting euphoric nature of the tunes at that time that made it what it was, and not just the fact I was younger. Because in 1999 I was 24 and had done alot of years clubbing already by then, many a time I hear a tune from 88 or 94 and think to myself about what I was getting up to then as a young girl, having fun, but by 98 I wasn't that young anymore, I already had a baby and in fact had just had a year and a half off of the club scene because of it. I came back into clubbing because I missed it so badly, it was the one thing I lived for and I began going out again, (obviously not quite so easily nor often being a mother by then)

Anyway, what I was trying to say was, I definitely think it was the music and atmosphere of that time, and not my age or circumstance. Because if it was age and circumstance, I'd be hankering after a whole different bunch of years.

I am very very glad that I had a part in that time now, although AT the time it just seemed like it would always feel like that.

It makes me sad to think now that if I go out, I will hear some good tunes, some of them will even be remixes from that special time, I will still chat to some other clubbers, I will DANCE all night, say hello to the DJ, but I know it just wont feel the same. It wont feel AMAZING, I wont be able to get by for another month on the pleasure and the excitement of planning the next night out. It will be forever slightly disappointing.

Like a heroin addict forever chasing the ultimate high and never ever finding it again, because it is impossible, once you've already had it.

If I could go back, I'd go out slightly more often than I did, and I'd have gone to Gatecrasher far earlier than I managed to, and I'd keep every single one of those Jules tapes. I'd have taken a few more photos an'all!!! I think I only started taking disposable cameras out in about 2001 :(

Edited by Number 2 fan

I wouldnt wish for it to be 99 again, as much as I enjoyed the year musically, saying that wheres Matt Darey these days! hardly producing now :(

He's still around - he's always been popular in Australia and Asia though so he tends to do a lot of gigs out there. When he does do UK gigs, he seems to rarely venture outside of London.

He reminds me of Ian Betts - superb DJ's, very under-rated, but very rarely seen outside of London :(

Anyway, what I was trying to say was, I definitely think it was the music and atmosphere of that time, and not my age or circumstance. Because if it was age and circumstance, I'd be hankering after a whole different bunch of years.

I am very very glad that I had a part in that time now, although AT the time it just seemed like it would always feel like that.

It makes me sad to think now that if I go out, I will hear some good tunes, some of them will even be remixes from that special time, I will still chat to some other clubbers, I will DANCE all night, say hello to the DJ, but I know it just wont feel the same. It wont feel AMAZING, I wont be able to get by for another month on the pleasure and the excitement of planning the next night out. It will be forever slightly disappointing.

Like a heroin addict forever chasing the ultimate high and never ever finding it again, because it is impossible, once you've already had it.

I am in tune with this. I have been going out since the 80s and nothing compares to the magic Trance era that emerged in the late 90s. I knew it was something big but I never appreciated it because I never expected it to stop.

I don't club a lot nowadays, mostly because of the wife, but also because it can never be the same as it was. Maybe that's not such a bad thing though - it's great to look back on and we all have to move on someday. I just wish more people remembered and appreciated 99!

Can we have a 99 shrine on here? Maybe I'll make a 99 cake :D

Agree with every post.

Wish it was 1999 again! - My favorite clubbing saying

Thanks to this site I still get to listen to Jules old tunes quite regularly. As mentioned before - it wasnt just the quality of the tunes but the amount as well, 1999 would be my first port of call if I could time travel!!!

I wish I could have gone clubbing in 1999. It was definitely the year that got me into the Trance scene and made me want to start DJing. Im not sure if I would have bothered starting out at this stage based on the current scene. There are still good tunes around but they are nothing compared to the tunes back then. I used to get a real sense of urgency to get hold of the latest tunes as well whereas now I am lookin for tunes to buy... back then I always had a wants list written out about a side of A4 at any one time - tunes I would check websites daily to see if they had come out yet. Those were real exciting times to be discovering DJing... it's just a shame I was only 15 and couldn't go clubbing.

The fist vinyls I bought were York - The Awakening and Fragma - Toca Me (for the Inpetto Mix at the time) and tunes like that really summed up the year for me. Also I bought alot of CD singles back then - System F - Out of the Blue, Veracocha - Carte Blanche, Agenda - Haeven, Ayla as mentioned already hear all great examples of tunes I could listen to again and again and think of good times.

Definately aweswome - but I feel (think like Briggsy has said) that the quality of tunes just ain't the same. Of course times change, people change etc. etc. but the pure euphoric moments seem to be almost a thing of the past.

The tunes around today are still quality, but they don't have the same flair for me as the trance scene used to.