The State - Gainsborough

Hello everyone,

Well this was my first proper night out to see a DJ and actually step foot in a nightclub, and it has been an extremely memorable evening. To summarise from the start, I did get to meet Jules and we had a very quick chat. I also got the all important photograph (although some bint jumped in the background so I'm gonna have to try photoshop!).

Set off at 8:30pm where I drove to a friends house within the village. I then drove to a neighbouring town and picked up my beloved Lyndsey. Lyndsey is one of my best mates at the moment, and she was just as excited as me because Jules was her childhood hero. With my mates gathered up I set sail for Gainsborough (via Lincoln) and this took about an hour total. I vaguely knew the location of the club, so once I parked up we had a gentle stroll through Gainsborough finding the club (I was parked literally round the corner, but wasn't aware!).

Got inside and were some of the first to arrive. Entered the club at about 10:30pm and to my relieft Jules had put me and my friends on the guestlist as planned. Jules was set to play at 11:00 - 1:30. We planned to meet each other at 11:15 because he said himself he wouldn't start until 11:45. When Jules actually arrived it was pretty much midnight and his entrance was extremely discreet. It was only when I took a glance at the decks that I saw his iconic shades and realised he was there already.

After a handfull of tracks were played I was conscious about how I would get a CD I had made to Jules. I knew Jules had to travel to Birmingham immediately after his set at Gainsborough so wanted to know what to do. I spoke to a bouncer and he told me the registration plate of Jules' car and Jules was then told mid-set that I was at the front of the crowd. At this magical moment I had my very first kiss!!! Lyndsey was so excited and pleased for me and it was just magical :)

Jules played quite a few tracks that I recognised. There was a Michael Jackson remix at the start, some La Roux remixes, and remix of 'Human' by The Killers, and also 'This Is Silence' which had the best reaction of the lot.

A young lad came up to me mid set and shouted in my ear "I f***ing love this man" and then I told him how I was on the radio with Jules last year. To my suprise the young lad then recognised me from seeing me on Myspace and was like "oh mate yeah you made that Bulgarian Disco tune didn't you!". That must have been the strangest part of the night ... actually being recognised haha

A few hours passed and then I saw Jules handed over the headphones to the chap next to him. I noticed this quickly and grabbed ym mates saying "Jules has handed over the headphones, we have to get to the front of the club now!". We grabbed our things and power walked to the road outside where I spotted Jules' car. We waited for a while, and whilst my back was turned Jules emerged from the club doors. Lyndsey nudged me and I leapt into life. Jules was moving pretty quick but came in my direction so I walked towards him and shouted. We shook hands and I smoothly passed over the CD I made for him.

"Hi, I'm Simon Ross"

- "oh hi, I'm sorry we couldn't chat earlier like we planned"

"that's fine, I was stood right at the front but don't think you could see very well"

- "no it's impossible to see anything from up there, with the lights on it just looks black"

"before you go can I get a quick photo?"

- "sure"

(we get a photo which I will upload later on, along with a video I got of what I felt was the best tune of the night. Lyndsey also got a photo which was adorable, she was ever so happy to have met him at long last.)

When Jules was just walking off we said that would would email each other soon and get up-to-date. Stod and talked with some biffa's for a bit who had a few too many by the sounds of things. Then it was the long journey home and I reach the point of the story where I get home and sit at the computer typing this for you all (and for myself to read when I wake up and think it was just a super realistic dream).

My first night out, my first encouter with Jules, my first kiss = happiest man on earth :)

Simon x

Edited by simonross46

Well done sir! Sounds like a really memorable night. :D

I also got the all important photograph (although some bint jumped in the background so I'm gonna have to try photoshop!).

I don't mean to generalise but it is almost always some fat bird making a silly face in the background, I've seen it happen to others plenty of times over the years! You have the last laugh though - after you left the club whilst you were probably making out with the female again, the fat bird was probably intoxicated and stuffing her face in Chicken Cottage, on her own... :ph34r:

Just remembered about this part of the night which I ahve edited into the report:

""A young lad came up to me mid set and shouted in my ear "I f***ing love this man" and then I told him how I was on the radio with Jules last year. To my suprise the young lad then recognised me from seeing me on Myspace and was like "oh mate yeah you made that Bulgarian Disco tune didn't you!". That must have been the strangest part of the night ... actually being recognised haha""

It was fantastic, I'm never going to forget that night. What I am pleased about is the fact that I waited to see a DJ who was guarunteed to be good. I often worried about going to small venues incase I was stood thinking "I can do better than this", but Jules is an iconic figure so that thought never came close to crossing my mind whilst he was at the decks. I can't wait for my next adventure, I know Durand plays at The State quite often as well so I hope he returns shortly, then I will need to sort out a trip to Nottingham soon too :D

One thing that is winding me up at the moment ... in the videos I posted, both are of the new Rank 1 tune, I think the second video is one where it has a really powerful 4 beat kick in the build, I have Sym-Fo but my version doesn't have this epicness :( Has Jules edited it himself do we think or are there other versions available?

Nice one Simon, despite being incredibly jealous that you are losing your clubginity, meeting Jules, having a photo with him, he played a great set. etc etc. I am very pleased for you, it makes me remember how adrenalised I felt when those thing happened for me, altho mine all happened on seperate occasions. I think. Bet your still whizzing inside now aren't ya.

Actually I can't remember my first kiss being anything special..........

Jules looks a bit spotty!

Jules was a bit spotty that night wasn't he, I noticed that as well.

I am still buzzing very much from last night purely because I keep playing Rank 1 on the computer. Everyone on here has those tunes that remind them of their clubbing experiences from the 90's or whenever ... Sym-Fo is one of those tunes for me.

It would be a pleasure to meet up with you Uberduck. Like I say, I always feel a lot more comfortable when I'm with someone who knows where they are going lol. Now we need to await a worthwhile line-up at Crasher B)

MMMMMMMMM I used to love being able to hear him play tunes that reminded me of my last night out!!!

Most tunes have a memory attached now.

Awwwwwwwww i'm so so jealous.

BTW if anyones doing GC Nottingham, give me enough notice and I'll maybe tag along! :)

BTW I aint seen those videos yet, vids wont play tonight on my computer but i can't wait to watch them. :)

Edited by Number 2 fan

I don't mean to generalise but it is almost always some fat bird making a silly face in the background, I've seen it happen to others plenty of times over the years! You have the last laugh though - after you left the club whilst you were probably making out with the female again, the fat bird was probably intoxicated and stuffing her face in Chicken Cottage, on her own... :ph34r:

LMAO I only just read Quadrants reply. I'm so glad I'm not fat. ;)

Edited by Number 2 fan

Haven't seen agood line up at GC Notts for a while, which is a shame as I live ten minutes taxi ride away :( .

I've not seen a decent Gatecrasher line-up anywhere for a while. Its always the same DJ's on rotation (Manuel Le Saux, Marcel Woods, Menno de Jong - I like all of those, but some variation would be nice). They NEVER have a 'proper' warm-up DJ either. They have loads of C-list DJ's on the line-up but try to charge A-list prices.

The listings on their website for Nottingham are still showing Feb-Apr events. What's that all about?

The Nottingham home page shows a flyer for some awful looking Ibiza event spread over a number of days with an almost exclusive house DJ listing.

Come on Crasher, sort it out and get a few decent nights in Notts :(