J&T = Jules & Tristan?

exactly, booties will work in the more commercial clubs, for example he played at bolton a few weeks ago at ikon, now i wanted to go that gig, but sadly couldnt, but bolton aint known for its massive trance clubbers and fans and the club is a luminar club, although he did play there as a favour as noted in the diaries, but i bet tainted love or sommat like stop yer ronson would of been played there.

It's surely upto jules whether he wants to play the booties and sees they are going down well in more commercial or smaller clubs, but not everyone is going to be a fan and we can only steer him in the right direction.

But the michael jackon bootleg, what was he and thinking????????????

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i hate to say it, but i think it might be time for Radio 1 to axe Jules. Hes just not good enough anymore, and in terms of tunes, he's way behind a lot of other DJ's. He is no longer cutting edge. Radio 1 should replace him with someone else now, who i dont know, but he's had a good innings, maybe now its time for change?

I think this is the biggest problem - Radio 1 just haven't got a natural replacement for Jules. Eddie seemed the obvious choice once upon a time as he was the only other DJ out there that played right across the board. Now he's fallen out with Radio 1, that will never happen - so who does that leave? There isn't anyone flying the flag for the UK at the moment when it comes to Trance or "up-tempo" dance music. Jon O'Bir is mainly melodic, John O'Callaghan is either melodic or bosh. A&B are too floaty. Matt Hardwick is also too melodic and not exactly up-and-coming. The dutch are leading the way when it comes to Trance.

Jules is a good radio personality though - and dance music is lacking personality DJ's these days. Whilst I agree that Jules isn't cutting edge any more, I do feel he'd be more suited to a Dave Pearce "dance anthems" role should Radio 1 ever decide to go back down that route again. He no longer a club crowd puller on his own - but he's still a household name that everyone knows about - which makes him a good choice for radio, a good choice for bringing in youngsters to the scene, and there's no doubt he'd still pull in a good radio audience due to his versatility.

Change the music slightly for the better, more upbeat banging stuff like back in 2004.

Music has indeed changed and times have changed, but not all that much at all.

I agree that times have changed and so has the music. Peak-time Trance around 4 years ago was 138-142bpm full-on stuff. Now, Trance has slowed right down - we've got peak-time DJ's playing at 135bpm - and Jules has also had to slow down because there's not enough of the 142bpm stuff around. However, Jules can control his mixing and flow - time doesn't change that. The only thing that affects mixing and flow is lazyness or being half-hearted. I don't think Jules is half-hearted - I think he genuinely still loves the job - however, I do think that he perhaps doesn't take the mixing side of things seriously.

If Jules was a youngster now performing like that, he wouldn't get anywhere. There are DJ's that mix better and can put a set together better on this board in all honesty.

It's surely upto jules whether he wants to play the booties and sees they are going down well in more commercial or smaller clubs, but not everyone is going to be a fan and we can only steer him in the right direction.

This is true mate. This board is full of people that are, or were, Judge Jules fans - so if we're losing faith, then what is the average punter in the club that is fairly neutral thinking about his sets? Its the clubbers that are keeping him in his job - so if they're not feeling it, they'll let their attendances and votes in the Top 100 DJ poll do the talking. Jules has slipped down the Top 100 DJs poll for the last five years - that is surely saying something!

But the michael jackon bootleg, what was he and thinking????????????

I'll let Jules off with that one. I would imagine he chose to play that as a mark of respect. Would he have played it if MJ hadn't passed away? We'll never know - all I can say is, I hope not....

I heard that Richard Durand played that dreadful MJ bootleg at Eden Ibiza (Richard Durand - Live @ Club Eden, Ibiza 28-06-2009), as I downloaded the set from the internet.

According to BBC Radio 1 website, Jules is broadcasting live sets from Ibiza on July 31st and August 7th...Be very interesting to see what tunes he plays and whether he opts for some terrible bootlegs

This is true mate. This board is full of people that are, or were, Judge Jules fans - so if we're losing faith, then what is the average punter in the club that is fairly neutral thinking about his sets? Its the clubbers that are keeping him in his job - so if they're not feeling it, they'll let their attendances and votes in the Top 100 DJ poll do the talking. Jules has slipped down the Top 100 DJs poll for the last five years - that is surely saying something!

I'll let Jules off with that one. I would imagine he chose to play that as a mark of respect. Would he have played it if MJ hadn't passed away? We'll never know - all I can say is, I hope not....

noooo i mean producing the Michael Jackson Vs Arnej - Dust In The Earth (J&T Bootleg) if it is him and tristan d?

mark of respect and all....but thats just a bad bootleg

Nah it's alright. I bet it gets a big reaction, from people who haven't already heard his show, or discussed the annoyance Tristan D.

This is true mate. This board is full of people that are, or were, Judge Jules fans - so if we're losing faith, then what is the average punter in the club that is fairly neutral thinking about his sets? Its the clubbers that are keeping him in his job -

It is, we are but a small selection of people really and even if we and our friends are NOT feeling it, I have seen plenty of people who are, and you only need look at his facebook or twitter comments to see that our opinions are far outweighed.

Also Jules does do the final choice of what he's going to play, filtered or unfiltered, I don't think he's playing choons he doesn't like. :confused:

and you only need look at his facebook or twitter comments to see that our opinions are far outweighed.

But how many of those are 'proper' clued-up clubbers, and how many of them are casual clubbers that just go out to see Judge Jules because they know the name? Jules rarely plays the 'bigger' events now - instead, he's playing smaller nights that, from my experience, attract a very different crowd from the likes of Gatecrasher, Godskitchen, etc - and most of them are beer boys that just like to see a household name such as Jules or Dave Pearce.

Even in the big clubs, a few years ago, Jules would have been able to fill a club on his own - people went to see him. Now, if you put him on at Gatecrasher or Godskitchen, he's not going to fill a club on his own - he needs another strong DJ on the line-up with him. Jules now only has pulling power at the smaller, more commercial gigs.

Also Jules does do the final choice of what he's going to play, filtered or unfiltered, I don't think he's playing choons he doesn't like. :confused:

Yeah, obviously Jules has the final choice - but he'll have the final choice out of the tunes that are 'filtered' through to him. If Tristan D is filtering out most of the good tunes, then Jules will only get what's left over. As Jason mentioned, Jules is quite often late on picking up some tunes - Jules often starts supporting a tune on Radio 1 that was released months ago. This could be because its been filtered out by Tristan, and then when Jules has had a quiet day to himself and gone back through some of his tunes personally, he's discovered a tune that he likes - but had been filtered out by Tristan.

Simon Patterson is a DJ himself (and a good one at that) - so he knows a good tune when he hears one. Tristan D, with no disrespect to him, isn't doing much as a DJ - so does he have as much experience of knowing what tunes will work well in a club? Does he also have loyalty to certain artists? Is he having a bit too much control over what Jules is playing? Who knows!

If a DJ is going to have a filterer, it needs to be someone that knows their style inside out and is fairly confident they're picking the right tunes. Its suicidal employing a filterer just because they're a friend.

Well, as far as I know he's not filtering them ALL the time. I could be wrong there.

But how many of those are 'proper' clued-up clubbers, and how many of them are casual clubbers that just go out to see Judge Jules because they know the name?

I guess if they're having a good time, it doesn't matter whether you are clued up or not, maybe they'll all move on to their own various genres and specialities just like alot of us have! :) I have to say, even during Julesy's time at the top, the clubs I went to see him in still had masses of beer boys in, at Creamfields, The Turnmills, and even Gatecrasher all those years ago. I still think he hasn't really changed, the only exception being the 'INDIE ' Bootlegs for me, but then again I could probably find a few sets from him containing indie bootlegs from a decade ago, just maybe not so many. I have never liked them tho.

This could be because its been filtered out by Tristan, and then when Jules has had a quiet day to himself and gone back through some of his tunes personally, he's discovered a tune that he likes - but had been filtered out by Tristan.

I'd hope that if this happened, he'd realise to himself what had happened (being the intelligent man that he is) and perhaps do something about it.

Bum Chums eh......who needs 'em? :huh:

i tell ya 1 thing, when simon patterson was filtering, he was 10 times better.

it seems tristan is filtering to his taste and not necessarily jules taste. He is also missing some absolute betlers.

I agree 100%.

I've said it before, and i'll say it again - John O'Callaghan has been one of the best, and most consistent, producers over the past few years - yet I can only recall Jules playing two of his productions in their original state (remixes not included). Jules used to be renowned for his 'banging' full-on tunes - exactly the style that John O'Callaghan produces when he sticks to his harder style.

Greg Downey is another that continually gets overlooked, along with Bryan Kearney and Sean Tyas. Last year, Jules had Genix on his new year "ones for the future" feature - yet Genix has had a string of productions out since then that Jules hasn't supported. Isn't it a bit contradicting to say that they're his 'tip for the top' but then ignoring their productions? I find that a bit odd.

Also, when Simon Patterson was Jules 'filterer', Jules supported all of his prouctions. Since Simon Patterson has moved on, Jules has only supported some of his productions. Also, at one point, Jules also completely overlooked Richard Durand - but now they're pally-pally, Jules is supporting all of his productions, has had him as "co-host" on his radio show twice, and has him as resident at Judgement Sundays. Again, I think this highlights that there's definately a lot of favouritism towards friends - and good tunes are being overlooked in favour of supporting friends' tunes. I may be completely wrong - but this is how things are looking (sounding I should say).

i wouldnt say hes playing them coz there mates.......more probably coz there decent tunes in terms of durrand and cosmic gate.

however overlooking top artists like simon patterson and greg downey is a bit shocking as there one of the most consistent and banging producers out there.

Thump & us are still one of my fav ever dance tunes

i wouldnt say hes playing them coz there mates.......more probably coz there decent tunes in terms of durrand and cosmic gate.

however overlooking top artists like simon patterson and greg downey is a bit shocking as there one of the most consistent and banging producers out there.

Thump & us are still one of my fav ever dance tunes

Duirand has always been quality though - yet Jules ignored some of his earlier (and in my opinion, better) tunes. He didn't bother with Lethal Industry, he didn't bother with Way Out West - The Fall, and he missed some of Durand other bigger tunes aswell. Some of his more recent tunes such as Slow Geisha have been poorer - yet Jules has played them.

Do ya know I still love Jules and he has always had a penchant for a bit of cheese, a tacky bootleg here and there, and caning and caning certain tunes. To me that's just Jules, and I see him as a 'gateway' DJ (I have used the term before) as he offers easy to get into dance music, of varying genres, and nothing too harsh for the ears in any particular direction. His recent radio shows have been good, although there was a patch of shows and a couple of live outings that disheartened me a bit. But I still think he is great, like GREAT!! :thumbsup:

Maybe radio one axing him could be a good thing, who knows, tbf when radio one first took him on, I was originally horrified at the thought, but that certainly worked out well. Different dynamics in situations, have a chaos theory going on. Things usually turn out very different to how you'd expect, so who knows, he most definitely HAS had a good innings.

However I do feel he is still just the same old Jules that he always was, I truly believe he hasn't changed. But TIMES have. :)

He is still packing in the punters too.

I agree with you 100% and yes times have changed but l still love listening to the tunes Jules plays, he doesn't bore me like some of the other DJ's and l really hope he won't be axed.

Also Jules does welcome feed back and has acted on it in the past. However he seems to be digging his heels in with regards to bootlegs. Its been said before that some bootlegs work well in certain clubs and in some they go down badly. :thumbsdown:

Up until about 6 mnths ago I loved bootlegs, they offered me a 'buy one get one free' tune wise and I was almost addicted to them, if I spotted one on Juno I was straight in there. In fact a I put two on my secret Santa and I love them, I love the Dj Sakin vs Delerium one, even though seperately those tunes don't do it for me, that Bootie does, and many other Booties do too, it's mainly the Indie ones I can't get past.

Up until about 6 mnths ago I loved bootlegs, they offered me a 'buy one get one free' tune wise and I was almost addicted to them, if I spotted one on Juno I was straight in there. In fact a I put two on my secret Santa and I love them, I love the Dj Sakin vs Delerium one, even though seperately those tunes don't do it for me, that Bootie does, and many other Booties do too, it's mainly the Indie ones I can't get past.

Excuse my ignorance but what tunes are the Indie bootlegs :confused:

i suppose its horses for courses really, some will like, but as ive mentioned earlier the indie and crappy booties are trying to appeal to the commercial market.....not the die hard clubbers..........this ciuld have a negative effect because it aint the casual clubbers who go to ikon clubs or commercial type clubs who are into cascada etc who are going to be voting in the top 100 dj poll!!!

i suppose its horses for courses really, some will like, but as ive mentioned earlier the indie and crappy booties are trying to appeal to the commercial market.....not the die hard clubbers..........this ciuld have a negative effect because it aint the casual clubbers who go to ikon clubs or commercial type clubs who are into cascada etc who are going to be voting in the top 100 dj poll!!!

Exactly! Thats my point. Jules's tunes may well go down in the commercial venues or the small venues - and he's very much a crowd puler on his own in those types of venues. However, its not those gigs that are going to keep him in his job on Radio 1, keep him inside the top 100 poll, or keep him a creditable reputation - its the big gigs such as Gatecrasher and Godskitchen with knowledgable crowds that want to hear "proper" tunes that count. The fact that he's no longer respected with those kind of clubbers, and the fact that he's been sliding down the DJ Mag top 100 poll for the last few years suggest that things have changed at Jules HQ. Something isn't working now - and in my opinion, its dodgy mixing and set flow (which is VERY random - Hard Trance into Melodic Trance into Progressive Trance wil kill any dance floor), and dodgy tunes.

If you listen to a Jules set from 1999, and compare one to now, you would think it was two completely different DJ's. Back then, Jules did long, flawless mixes where every tune complimented the other one. Now, Jules does short, often ropey mixes where the tunes don't compliment each other at all.

The DJ mag poll voting starts next month - so with Jules's show now at a time where most people are out clubbing, it'll be interesting to see if that has an impact on where he sits in the poll this year. Last year, he dropped to his lowest ever position - 32! This year, I reckon he'll just about scrape into the top 50!

His previous positions were:

1997: 4

1998: 3

1999: 4 (Jules's bets year ever in my opinion and was unlucky not to be number 1)

2000: 6

2001: 11

2002: 7

2003: 9

2004: 14

2005: 15

2006: 16

2007: 21

2008: 32 (Disasterous year!)

Even back in '03 & '04 Jules was hammering out some real belters. Some nice 'off the wall' house (if you know what I mean) & some absolutely cracking trance with the odd techno track thrown in. What initially got me into Jules (after previously listening to Seb Fontaine) was the fact that most of the tracks he played had something that stood out about them & were a bit different. Typical examples are the Kansai remix of Golden Sun, F&W's You Will Understand & Warrior's X. I remember tuning in to the show & hearing tracks that made me go weak at the knees. His monthly sets all seemed to have a nice flow that bursted with energy. Back then he used to play a bit of a mish mash but it was still structured & the contrast worked well. Now his sets lack structure & the random flow completely kills the energy. He doesn't seem to pick tracks that mix well these days either. His mixing has that Dave Pearce feel to it lately (y'know where the two tracks clash a bit but he goes for it anyway). I guess I've got a lot of nostalgia for the Jules we saw (or is that heard?) between 2000 & 2005 but he definitely was a better all round dj back then.

Even back in '03 & '04 Jules was hammering out some real belters. Some nice 'off the wall' house (if you know what I mean) & some absolutely cracking trance with the odd techno track thrown in. What initially got me into Jules (after previously listening to Seb Fontaine) was the fact that most of the tracks he played had something that stood out about them & were a bit different. Typical examples are the Kansai remix of Golden Sun, F&W's You Will Understand & Warrior's X. I remember tuning in to the show & hearing tracks that made me go weak at the knees. His monthly sets all seemed to have a nice flow that bursted with energy. Back then he used to play a bit of a mish mash but it was still structured & the contrast worked well. Now his sets lack structure & the random flow completely kills the energy. He doesn't seem to pick tracks that mix well these days either. His mixing has that Dave Pearce feel to it lately (y'know where the two tracks clash a bit but he goes for it anyway). I guess I've got a lot of nostalgia for the Jules we saw (or is that heard?) between 2000 & 2005 but he definitely was a better all round dj back then.

Spot on that mate. You've summed it all up perfectly!

Awwww it's a shame that people feel this way about him. :(

He is responsible for the best nights out I have ever had in my life, for keeping me sane and dancing through some difficult times in my life.

I think he is still well respected for all of his work by people who know. ;)

I think he is still well respected for all of his work by people who know. ;)

Oh i'll always respect Jules for what he's done for the scene and how he's started many producers careers. The guy is an absolute legend and there will never be anyone else like him. He's brought so many clubbers into the scene aswell. Jules has influenced many people - including myself. My DJ'ing style now is just how Jules's used to be - hard, banging and energetic without pigeon-holing too much to one style. If I hadn't listened to Jules for all those years, god knows how my style would have turned out. I may not have even started DJ'ing at all!

Its just a shame that over the last few years, something has gone wrong somewhere, and a lot of people can no longer take Jules seriously as a DJ - even though they still respect him for what he's done.

he influenced me to get a set decks, was one of the djs i grew up listening too.........just doesnt do it much for me anymore with bad set planning and bad mixing and tunes.......i still have alot of respect for the guy and was a major influence of the scene.....but SOME DRASTIC CHANGES ARE NEEDED...........JULES IF YOU READ THIS THREAD PLEASE TAKE IT ON BOARD AND PLEASE TAKE NOTE

Get a new filterer

chnage the style slightly & tunes

Improve the mixing

go back to how you was back in 2004 in terms of style and mixing pleaseeeeeeee