New laptop

Number2Fan

Can't get it to connect to my wireless broadband, can get it to work plugged in, and can get this one to work plugged in but neither to work WIRELESS, although it has been wireless before in here.

Could it just be a prob with the modem/ariels?

(no I am not a computer whizz so laymans terms please?)

Sky broadband!!

It just kept saying that the wireless network connection 3 not connected!

Got a cable for it now, which reaches the decks area, but obviously it is a laptop and I would like to get it on my lap at some point to surf and D/L tunes! :)

Do you think it's the router? It's from sky?

What you'd need to do is connect wired to the router, enter the routers admin panel and look for the wireless settings.

Give the wireless network a name, set up security (so that neighbours can't tap into your wireless network), and make sure the wireless network is activated.

Then, the next time you go wireless, it should list all of the wireless networks it finds. Click on the one that you set up, enter your security code, and then away you go :D

• Like 1

PS: I'm not familiar with the Sky router so not sure how to access its admin panel - but usually, normally you have to type ONE of the following into your web browser bar (the bit where you normally type in www.blahblahblah.com)

192.168.1.0 - if that doesn't work then try the one below

192.168.0.1 - if that still don't work, then try the next one - if that doens't work, then keep going until one works

Its very rare that router manufacturers go beyond 192.168.2.2 so i'd stop at that point.

Usually the login is "admin" and the passwords are usually "admin" or just left blank.

• Like 1

Thanx Briggsy,

well so far I have managed to connect to someone elses virgin network?? God knows who's or where?

It just wont connect to the sky router, although it can recognise that it is there. :blink:

Could it have anything to do with the security stuff?

Well basically I get to the part where there's a list of routers/networks all saying security enabled - blah blah and their signal strenths.

Mine is at the top saying it's signal strength is excellent.

I click on it, and it tells me to click connect and I may need to enter additional info. So I click.

It looks as though it is connecting for a few moments.

Then it connects to someone elses virgin network. However it does disconnect from that after about 5 mins.

This Computer that i am using now, is plugged into the back of the router, would that be a problem?

It sounds to me that its a security issue. If it can tap into Betty Smith from number 63's Virgin connection, but not yours, it means that she has an unsecured wireless network (it amazes me how many people have unsecured networks!) and yours has security.

I'm afraid I can't really help much further because I've no way of telling which method of security your using (WEP, WPA, etc), and what your security code is. Did you set up your router, or did someone do it for you? If you set it up, I would imagine you must have set up a security key at some point - can you remember what it was? If someone else did it for you, you need to find out the security key they set up for you.

Wireless is notorious for being quirky to get to work, but once it does it's very reliable.

Get on phone to the helpline and if they can get you connected physically by cable, they should be able to fix the wireless connection settings for you using remote access... you'll need a few hours free though <_<

• Like 1

I already spent 2 hrs on phone to sky, taking instructions from a woman I could hardly hear, let alone understand.

Briggsy, do you think it would help to start over from scratch with the router again.

I did do the original set-up but I was following instruction from the sky CD they sent with the router.

It sounds as if you've connected to the Virgin one (first - possibly by accident) and that is your preferred network which takes precendent.

- Right click on your wireless signal icon in the taskbar

- Click Open Network Centre

- Click manage networks (left hand side pane)

- Delete all connections in there to start a fresh

- Close that window

- Turn off your router, wait for a moment and restart it

- Wait another minute for it to stabilise and synchornise and then scan for networks

- Before trying to click on one, make sure you correctly identify your networks broadcasting name (SSID), which is typically found on the back or underneath your router

- Make a note both of this and its password (most likely Wi-fi Protected Access (pre-shared-key (WPA-PSK))

- Double click it and enter that password - fingers crossed that shoudl work fine for you.

If not, call sky because you may MAC filtering on (doubt that very much) and it may be restricting any wireless network - local connection is fine by the cable as that is trusted source.

Hopefully that should help :)

This doesn't happen!! So I can't click it :(

Once you are in "Network and Sharing Center" (either right click on your network icon or find it in control panel), this is exactly what I was referring to, then see if you can follow the rest of my instructions:

manage-wireless-networks.jpg

• Like 1

Once you are in "Network and Sharing Center" (either right click on your network icon or find it in control panel), this is exactly what I was referring to, then see if you can follow the rest of my instructions:

manage-wireless-networks.jpg

Cool I'll try that later! thank you!

speaking of laptops

iv made the big change today.....iv just ordered traktor scratch pro.......im not into pre-planning my djing or cheating via ableton as traktor and serato use the conventional methods to control it via the cdjs...and your laptop acts as a hardrive, ill keep ya posted

• 3 weeks later...