DJ Stage Names

Briggsy

Just out of curiosity, what DJ name when you play out - do you use your real name, or do you have a 'stage name'? If you have a stage name, what is the reason for it?

I find it quite amusing that the foreign DJ's such as Sander van Doorn, Marcel Woods, Fred Baker and Richard Durand are using "British-friendly" stage names, whereas a lot of of British DJ's suddenly want to sound foreign - Chris Pollock aka Christow de Fier, Miguel Del Bosque, etc.

Perhaps I should change mine to something more appealing - Carlos Briggato perhaps? I am of course joking, my real name will do. Granted, its not very exciting, but it'll do.

my dj name when playing out is simply Ian K

the reason for this is my last name is particular very long and not easy to pronounce on paper, my full name being Ian Kraweckyj (pronounced kraveski)

although i do feel Ian k doesnt sound very appealing and have thought about changing my stage name to something entirely different. in a similar example to Jon O'bir whose name is actually Neil Ribbons or something and O'bir is ribo backwards.

Any suggestions on a postcard please :P

Before I picked up the headphones I was gonna go for "Essar", but I hated the thought of explaining it to everyone, and also proving that the chap "Essar" on the Radio 1 tracklists really was me! The reason for Essar though was that its what you hear when you say "SR" out loud ... my initials. It was the best I could come up with, but Simon Ross is pretty good in it's own way I think. A lot of girls I know (yes I know some girls!) ever call me Simon but it's always Simon-Ross, apparently my name isn't complete otherwise :lol:

I was going to use Thomas Neil (Neil being my middle name), I don't really know why but I guess I thought it suited progressive a bit better. I used to put everything out under that name & all my old mixes were tagged as it.

The reason I changed to by actual name was due to Paul Kershaw at Galaxy. I was chosen to be featured as the 'Solid State Rising Star' on his show & he asked me which DJ name I would be using. I told him Thomas Neil but as we did the live interview on the air he kept calling me Tom Bailey, hence I felt I better use that seeing as the Galaxy slot was my biggest break at the time & I wanted to use it to enhance my profile

I was actually thinking of using my middle name once upon a time aswell (Carl Simon) because Carl Briggs isn't particularly exciting (Neither is Carl Simon, but it sounds better than Carl Briggs).

I never really expected to be playing out regularly though, so I just just stuck with my own name.

I was actually thinking of using my middle name once upon a time aswell (Carl Simon) because Carl Briggs isn't particularly exciting (Neither is Carl Simon, but it sounds better than Carl Briggs).

I never really expected to be playing out regularly though, so I just just stuck with my own name.

Should have gone with Simon, its a good name

Well my real name is Actually 'Matt Way' and decided this is not quite a roll of the tongue, sounding cool kinda name, And at the time I was well into NBA basketball and in particular 'Orlando Magic' and I idolised a player name 'Anfernee Penny Hardaway' so decided that this should be my DJ name Matt Hardaway. ;)

Never been a fan of DJ names especially with the prefix of "DJ"!

Yeah I've never really understood why people feel the need to put "DJ" before their name. Its pretty obvious when they're stood behind the decks. Unless they're so crap.

Its usually the chavs with a £25 argos mixer and Fisher Price SL1066 turntables that use the "DJ" prefix to look "cool" on t'internet as they mix some mad DnB tune into DJ Sammy - Heaven. "Yo yo, dis is DJ Smiffy Smiff in da house innit!" (not to be confused with Westwood, who talks the same, but has a £50 Tonka mixer instead).