PIONEER CDJ2000

Marty Mayes

The needlesearch is pretty cool so you can 'see' and skip to any part of the mp3's waveform of the track in question. However, other than that I think it's an excessive amount for a CDJ.

Blimey when I was a youngster I think I would shirk at the cost of a £450 Technics II. In fact, I still would now! Now is the savvy time to invest in the older models as people flock to this new bollocks.

i think i sid it in another thread, i cant see those catching on in the clubs for a good while yet, they're too hi tech for the time being. I dont think they are aimed at the bedroom DJ either, for a pair of those, you could get a second hand car or bike! :confused:

The prices for all Pioneer's stuff is way more now than a year ago anyway. I got my pair of 1000 Mk3's for 1500... the 2000 is nearly this much for one unit!!

I couldn't justify the upgrade at all. I'm quite happy to stick with burning CDs for now. The problem with all these MP3 units etc is the possibility for DJ's that dont understand bit rates of MP3's to start building huge libraries of crap quality MP3's and then arriving at a club with them all crammed on to a USB stick and sounding s*** through a decent sound system.

Here's hoping people will at least keep all their music at 320kbps and not compromise on the sound quality.

The prices for all Pioneer's stuff is way more now than a year ago anyway. I got my pair of 1000 Mk3's for 1500... the 2000 is nearly this much for one unit!!

I couldn't justify the upgrade at all. I'm quite happy to stick with burning CDs for now. The problem with all these MP3 units etc is the possibility for DJ's that dont understand bit rates of MP3's to start building huge libraries of crap quality MP3's and then arriving at a club with them all crammed on to a USB stick and sounding s*** through a decent sound system.

Here's hoping people will at least keep all their music at 320kbps and not compromise on the sound quality.

I think most djs would usually ensure that the quality of their tracks would be top notch when burning to cd anyway, so dont see the difference with mp3's?

I guess you're right with most DJ that would be serious enough to purchase this type of kit. I have come across some using very basic laptop setups with horrendous MP3s though. I just hope the standards dont start to slip too far as we move further and further into digital compressed music

• 2 weeks later...

I think most djs would usually ensure that the quality of their tracks would be top notch when burning to cd anyway, so dont see the difference with mp3's?

armin says he burns cds at 2x and generally burns high resolution wavs, sometimes high resolution mp3s

armin says he burns cds at 2x and generally burns high resolution wavs, sometimes high resolution mp3s

I don't see why DJ's are so bothered about WAV's. The sound difference between a 320kbps MP3 and a WAV file is minimal anyway - and over a loud club system, nobody is going to notice the difference anyway. Most club systems are crap JBL sound systems, and they sound terribly distorted. Unless its somewhere like the MoS with a Funktion 1 sound system, I can't imagine the difference in sound being much different.

I think you're right Briggsy. When you burn a Wav to CD it gets compressed anyway as it's converted to CD audio. I cant generally hear the difference between a 320 kbps MP3 and a WAV file, possibly because I've not done a direct comparison on good enough speakers to tell the difference but I suspect it's more likely because the difference is not audible anyway.

However I can tell when Im listening to something ripped at 128 kbps. Sometimes files at 192 kbps sound fine too but Just to be safe I always make sure my files are 320 constant bit rate.

I think you're right Briggsy. When you burn a Wav to CD it gets compressed anyway as it's converted to CD audio. I cant generally hear the difference between a 320 kbps MP3 and a WAV file, possibly because I've not done a direct comparison on good enough speakers to tell the difference but I suspect it's more likely because the difference is not audible anyway.

However I can tell when Im listening to something ripped at 128 kbps. Sometimes files at 192 kbps sound fine too but Just to be safe I always make sure my files are 320 constant bit rate.

having used all 320kbps files, when i play an old cd rip at 192 i can easilly tell now and instantly notice the difference, so much that i deleted alot of my mix cd imports from itunes at 192 and re-encoded them at 256bps aac