Hi Gate Caned & Unable (John Gibbons & Scimon Tist Remix)

lennox2s2s

I love this tune, it is one of my favourites and l asked Jules if he would play this in the Back Room @ Eden in Ibiza but he didn't have it with him. He mentioned that there were several remixes being done of this tune and that he was looking forward to hearing them. I doubt any mix could beat the original but l'm up for listening to the new mixes.

I very much doubt any remix of this could ever top the original for me as it's one of my all time favourite tunes Jules has ever made or played! However I'd be interested in hearing the new mixes and if either turns out to be a belter then I'd eat my hat if I had one.

The classics are always going to be rinsed and reused because the remixer already stands half a chance of a decent sell based on it's past history. Not saying I agree with it but from a producers point of view I see their intention.

I don't think they all have that intention though. I think some simply like an old tune and want to 'bring it back to life'. So many old tunes never get played now - yet when they're remixed, people moan.

I don't mind any old tune being remixed - just as long as its done well and doesn't ruin a tune.

This is true. I would rather hear a good remix of a classic that a poor bootleg sampling a classic. If it's been done properly with official remix parts and the production is good I generally dont mind. I just think with this tune being so big for me the first time around, hearing new versions being played now will probably just make me want to dig the original out instead. It's a timeless tune really - you could easily just mix in the original to a modern set and it wouldn't sound out of place.

I really like the original of this track also....the bassline makes it for me. But Will IMO has done a really good job on making a tech-trance take on it & I'll definately be supporting it.

Mark Sherry has been given Will's remix big support and you can hear it on this clip (First track on the mix).

http://www.marksherry.co.uk/mark/mark_sherry_atomik_weekender_2_goodgreef_stage_nov_2009.mp3

Judge for yourself.

I actually quite like Will's because it kinda just samples the main riff and leaves it as it was... ie no added effects - it has the same sound. He has then created a pretty much brand new tech trance tune and just inserted the sample in the breakdown which works for me. I'd play this. If it had tried to use any of the other parts like re-working the bassline into the track or anything more I dont think I would like it.

I actually quite like Will's because it kinda just samples the main riff and leaves it as it was... ie no added effects - it has the same sound. He has then created a pretty much brand new tech trance tune and just inserted the sample in the breakdown which works for me. I'd play this. If it had tried to use any of the other parts like re-working the bassline into the track or anything more I dont think I would like it.

I really enjoyed Will's remix also, but Voices is my favourite track from the Hi-Gate era.

My second favourite Jules production is Showtime

He had so many big tunes back then. Voices is also a beast but over time the vocal can get a little irritating so overall its Caned & Unable for me the best Hi-gate production I reckon. I also love D-Tune (Earplugs) and remember waiting about a year after I first heard it before Jules finally released the limited edition press on Incentive. Best VPL production for me is T Break. Other wicked tunes include Floorgasm - Have a Nice Day and The Clergy - Saints and Sinners which was far better than the Oboe Song!

He had so many big tunes back then. Voices is also a beast but over time the vocal can get a little irritating so overall its Caned & Unable for me the best Hi-gate production I reckon. I also love D-Tune (Earplugs) and remember waiting about a year after I first heard it before Jules finally released the limited edition press on Incentive. Best VPL production for me is T Break. Other wicked tunes include Floorgasm - Have a Nice Day and The Clergy - Saints and Sinners which was far better than the Oboe Song!

For me, i'd say "Gonna Work It Out" was my favourite, followed by Pitchin', and then D-Tune, then Caned n Unable. The rest were fairly average I though.

Under VPL, it was all about T-Break - but to be honest, it was all about the Steve Murano remix. The original was nothing special.

The Clergy - well, again, The Oboe Song was the best - but it was all about the Green Martian remix. The original was week. I loved 'Saints & Sinners' though.

I've got all the other Closet released stuff such as Have a Nice Day, etc - but they're not that good. I'd never play them again anyway.