So I bought myself a little Christmas Present (Record Cleaning Machine!)

Simcut

Howdy folks

First of all, I wish you all a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year. I wont be having a Merry time of it tbh, been a shit year for me (lost my job etc). Here's to 2010 and a better year, with some JJA meaty goodness to keep us all happy in recession depression! ;)

Anyway, swiftly moving on, I've decided to spend a wee bit of my money saved up to buy a Record Cleaning Machine

so I went and got myself this:-

KAB EV-1 Record Cleaner - http://www.kabusa.com/ev1.htm

Its a High Value Professional Record Cleaner, which is manually operated and requires a hoover/vacuum to be connected!

ev1-1.jpg

ev1-2.jpg

ev1-3.jpg

I ordered this and the guy builds them to order, had to wait 10 days for him to build it and he shipped it out to me on the 23rd. Going to have to wait 6-10 Business Days for it :( noo!

The way you do it is you use the solution that comes with the product and pour drops of it as the vinyl rotates on your normal turntable, and do it slowly moving from left to right across the record, so it doesnt miss any spots.....you then use the brush that comes with the applicator to spread the solution around and pick up any dirt, bits and pieces and dust. You then you turn the record over and put the wet side down on the machine...attach the hoover to the hole on the side of the machine, and put the wheel clamp on top of the record and slowly turn the record 4/5 rotations while the hoover is switched on....it pulls out dust and all sorts of gremlins out of the vinyl groove....

It cost me $159 plus $49 postage, plus there will be a customs Tax charge I suspect.

Anyway, I havent used it yet myself, but here's an example of the results it can do (thanks to skip from Tranceaddict)

He recorded 2 clips of the same vinyl to show what the record cleaner can do, listen for yourselves.

He didnt use much of the solution and only did 2 rotations.

Unclean Sample

Clean Sample

Sounds good eh? I cant wait to get this beast! this is effectively the same machine as the Nitty Gritty, but instead this is manually operated! the Nitty Gritty which is motorised costs about £350+!

I am a real happy chappy about this thing!!! :)

Going to really assist me with digitizing my vinyl collection ready for an eventual move to CDJ's for convenience :)

Edited by Simcut

Presume you're using this for preparing to digitally rip your vinyl, sir? This looks an awesome bit of kit for that and you want to extract the very best out of your gigantic discs of plastic!

Will consider this myself.

• 2 weeks later...

On Topic please? dont wanna know about Judge Mental having/not having a beard :P

Back off topic, I'm intrigued / scared as to where N2F's beard is.

Back on topic, I still don't see the point. I've got vinyl in the house that's nearly twice as old as me, and with a good wipe it sounds like a fresh pressing. Very much on topic, I can't see the point unless you have a very dusty house. Now I'll come across as a C***, but I literally can't see the point.

Yeah, lots of dust, lots of electrical equipment here. And its up to me anyway isnt it? this machine is a beast, I've heard the results, and they far surpass a wiping cloth :/ I've tried and tested many cleaning products and they suck arse!

Edited by Simcut

To be fair I'm sure you know what you're doin here Simon... I can imagine you take a real pride in your collection and it's no wander. I've been meaning to set about cleaning some of my vinyl but I've never even got as far as trying the cloth properly. I did order a cleaning cloth but never any cleaning fluid and so I've not got any further.

All in all most of my tunes have kept pretty well over the years with a bit of dust being the worst problem but I've never had any disasters with spillages - one advantage of very rarely having played my vinlys out. It's not about getting beer all over the records. Subsequently this sort of investment would not be worth it for me but I'm sure it will be ideal for you Simcut.

Well I know mine could do with a proper professional clean, it gets a dust down here and there and a hoover, and I have vinyl that is easily 50 yrs old, it doesn't come up like a fresh pressing from a wipe down.

(and that's just my beard)

no seriously I'd like a machine like that!

Yeah, lots of dust, lots of electrical equipment here. And its up to me anyway isnt it? this machine is a beast, I've heard the results, and they far surpass a wiping cloth :/ I've tried and tested many cleaning products and they suck arse!

Of course it is mate, and I imagine if I used it once I'd never look back. I just thought that as people had been using vinyl for decades without too much of a problem this seemed a bit over the top.

Well I know mine could do with a proper professional clean, it gets a dust down here and there and a hoover, and I have vinyl that is easily 50 yrs old, it doesn't come up like a fresh pressing from a wipe down.

(and that's just my beard)

no seriously I'd like a machine like that!

Haha, that's quality Lynnie :mrgreen:

Vinyl can get so charged with static electricity that it can attract all sorts of dust onto the grooves. By far the worst is dirty fingerprints - I've had to give some of my second hand vinyls a proper bath sometimes before evenig playing them, so that's soap and cold water. Otherwise for me I've always used lighter fluid and a special non-static dust cloth which has done the trick.

But if you're ripping vinyl to 320k and want to extract the absolute best quality sound from your discs of plastic for that perfect digital copy, you might as well go the whole hog. :winkthumbsup: