Any Cosmic Gate fans out there..?

Aza

Hey Folks

Been a fair while since I've posted up a mix and this has been on my agenda for some time - the time on my decks has been very limited of late - and finally with a spare few hours leading up to XMAS I have managed to whip this up. Ever since I started out DJ'ing, these guys have been influential to my sets and they are right up there with my favourite all time producers. Their artist productions have always been good, but equally their remixes have been fairly monumental!

Just like I have done in the past with Darren Tate, Steve Murano and Marco V, I have decided to do my very own dedicated take on Cosmic Gate. What I enjoyed most about this set is that it serves (IMO) as a very structured set - building and flowing to more harder tempo stuff - just like I would if I were playing out & I would be most grateful if you could check this out :)

Please see below for my website's description of the mix and tracklist.

Aza Presents A Cosmic Gate Tribute

A dedicated tribute set to one of Aza's most favourite and influential producers over the past decade, Cosmic Gate.

Combining 21 tracks, spanning 3 artist albums together with several trademark and legendary mixes all into a structured and progressively uplifting 2 hour set.

Tracklist:

01. Intro [EMI]

02. Cosmic Gate featuring Emma Hewitt - Not Enough Time [Maelstrom]

03. Cosmic Gate - London Rain [Maelstrom]

04. Vincent de Moor - Fly Away (Cosmic Gate Remix) [Armada]

05. Veracocha - Carte Blanche (Cosmic Gate Remix) [Armada]

06. Cosmic Gate - Sign Of The Times [Maelstrom]

07. Cosmic Gate feat. Jan Johnston - I Feel Wonderful [Maelstrom]

08. Cosmic Gate - Trip To P.D. [Maelstrom]

09. Blank and Jones - Deejays, Fans & Freaks [incentive]

10. Ferry Corsten - Punk (Cosmic Gate Remix) [Positiva]

11. DJ Tiesto - Urban Train (Cosmic Gate Remix) [DosOrDie]

12. Cosmic Gate - Ultra Curve [iD&T]

13. Rank 1 - The Awakening (Cosmic Gate Remix) [iD&T]

14. Miss Shiva - Dreams (Cosmic Gate Remix) [Variation]

15. 4 Strings - Diving (Cosmic Gate Remix) [Nebula]

16. Beam and Sean Tyas Present 64 Bit - Virtual Discotech 1.0 (Cosmic Gate Remix) [beam Traxx]

17. Age Of Love - The Age Of Love (Cosmic Gate Remix) [Alphabet City]

18. Svenson and Gielen - Answer The Question (Cosmic Gate Remix) [iD&T]

19. Cosmic Gate - Fire Wire (DJ Scot Project Remix) [EMI]

20. Cosmic Gate - Back To Earth (S.H.O.K.K. Remix) [EMI]

21. Cosmic Gate - Just A Tone [EMI]

Duration: 2hr 3mins | File size: 174 MB | File Type: MP3 - Variable Bit rate - 128-320 Kbps (overall average, 197 Kbps)

Download: Right Click > Save Target As...

Thanks Simon!

Fair point - however, unfortunately I don't have that tune. I bought their first EP - No More Sleep and mixed up a few from there, their second album, with tracks like Bilingual (used I Feel Wonderfull instead) and their latest, Sign of the Times.

I would've like to used a few more, especially from their earlier album, but their remixes superseeded for me :)

Merry Christmas to you too ;)

11. DJ Tiesto - Urban Train (Cosmic Gate Remix) [DosOrDie]

13. Rank 1 - The Awakening (Cosmic Gate Remix) [iD&T]

14. Miss Shiva - Dreams (Cosmic Gate Remix) [Variation]

19. Cosmic Gate - Fire Wire (DJ Scot Project Remix) [EMI]

Absolute bangers!! Good effort mate! Will definitely be checking this out :winkthumbsup:

Really keen to see what you make of this guys; Nathan, Simcut & Uber - if you could post your thoughts - it would be appreciated.

I haven't listened back to it fully myself - will be doing so tomorrow as I sort a few bits out - looking forward it! :)

• 3 weeks later...

Thank you Fuzzy and Chrissie - really appreciate the comments and interest.

TBH - I thoroughly enjoyed mixing this and the memories some of the tracks brought back were great. It also showed me how much I still really like Cosmic Gate and how their sound has changed. Their early work and sound was my favourite :)

Hi mate. I forgot to post back on this one, sorry. I really enjoyed this one.

As always with you're mixes it's well thought out and structured. I imagine with a mix like this as an artist tribute you would have done some pre-planning? I like the intro to the mix with that 2/3 minute introduction followed by a couple of progressive tracks in the newer style of Cosmic Gate. I hadn't heard these before but they serve as a nice opener into the set. I tend to prefer the harder more techy sounds of Cosmic Gate so it was nice for the set to move fairly quickly to that style with the remix of "Fly Away", one of my favourite tunes of either 2006/2007 (cant remember which year it was done). I certainly heard it at many festivals that year so great to hear it again. It made me realise just how big an impact CG have had on the trance scene over the years when you look through that tracklist. What follows is a lineup of huge anthems, some originally huge in their own right and remixed into fresh sounding modern hits (e.g. Carte Blanche and I feel Wonderful) and others made famous by the CG remixes the first time around (DJ's, Fans & Freaks, Rank 1 - Awakening). There are so many huge tunes on here which at some point involved CG.

Perfect timings on the mix from Carte Blanche to sign of the times... with the bass dropping in just at the right point. A very smooth transition from I Feel Wonderful to Trip to P.D. as well. I like how you dealt with DJ's Fans & Freaks - that was always a bitch to mix I seem to remember but it fits very well where you brought it in, the sample first sitting nicely over the synth of previous track, then the sample and 1 beat silence before the beat kicks in properly sit exactly over the last fading note of the synth sounded really nice. I seem to remember that beat kicks in on an odd bar or something making it hard to mix out of a track with a straight beat outro so shows its all been well thought out. Nice cutting on the mix into Awakening also - bit of bass chopping and cutting works nicely there. Again a couple of nice cut on the mix out of Diving... just little touches that just work. Another great mix from fire wire to back to earth. I mean it's all superbly mixed mate but I've mentioned some of my highlights.

Thanks for sharing this. A great mix I shall be keeping hold of.

It serves as a great history lesson of these trance legends

Nathan: Thank you very much for such a fine and detailed response.

I do love it when folk take the time to not only analyse the mix, but also document and report back on it.

The intro was the very first track on Cosmic Gate's first EP, No More Sleep. Considering that it's a very uplifting and harder style to their productions of late, I thought it good to try mix that spiralling/waving effect with one of their more softer trancers - I felt quite happy with how that turned out and thought it would work best here as my version of 'Not Enough Time' only has a 32beat intro so you can't really do much with it.

I totally agree; I prefer the "harder more techy sounds of Cosmic Gate", but as a tribute tried to acknowledge newer stuff as well as old. I did plan the set out a little; tbh, it's been on my agenda for a fair few months and in my mind I always knew what I wanted to do. You're right about DFF, it can be difficult to manage, quite a tricky breaky beat to mix in on, before definately needing to either cut or let it naturally run over into the sample and then the hard bassline sound of the track - glad you particularly liked this part because at this point in the set I tried to demonstrate a transition of their newer stuff and flow to the all time fave's of mine. Also the versions I have of their newer tracks all seem to have approx 128beat/32bar outro's so that particularly fitted almost perfectly with this and a little help from the counter on my CDJ helped with the drop timing of that mix ;)

Some of the tracks are a tad too long for my liking and I did think of editing them to cut the down the set's lenght, but thought for a natural, untouched product, just stick with this :)

I'm glad that you enjoyed (and noticed) the cutting and bass chopping. Your highlights resonate a lot with my own and all in all - very happy to see/hear that you thought the mix was

well thought out and structured. Thanks for sharing this. A great mix I shall be keeping hold of.

It serves as a great history lesson of these trance legends

If you liked this and (for anyone else too) are a fan of Marco V, Darren Tate or Steve Murano, I've done similar tributes to them too and you may also like these :)