Audio Cassettes of Jules' Radio Shows

Aza

From my recent ventures in to the attic to put the XMAS back up, I stumbled across a box of Jules Radio 1 Shows from approximately the 2001-2003 era.

Every week I used to timer record his shows on cassette because I used to work all day on a Saturday and his shows were on 5-7pm. Although the Internet was around, it was nowhere near as rich or capable of offering 'listen again' (I think :unsure: ) nor did I have the capability of digitally recording the shows.

They have now ended up in my attic and are sadly idling up there.

I am very sure we have the tracklist for each and every show, but I would like to ask and offer/donate this box to anyone who would like them and see if they could possibly digitise them, or know someone who can?

I feel that it would be great for us all on here to have the shows to download and listen again.

What ya think?

Edited by Aza

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Amazing news, Aza! This is essentially a proper goldmine because it covers that 'crossover' period we all remember when the world was beginning to embrace the digital era. But this took far longer than people realized which is why people seemed to only start recording Jules shows directly to mp3 from about 2003/4 onwards.

I already have a large number of people's cassette tapes (which I've had for a couple of years now) which I have yet to convert to mp3, so I will not be able to take this on - my apologies to those members once again.

I'm sure someone will be able to though. Don't throw them away! :)

I'd be up for the task Aza. I've got a cassette deck in my room purely connected to my PC for digitizing. So long as I'm sat here doin some work or surfin this place or whatever It's no bother to be recording tapes at the same time. I have a fair few of my own tapes but all of them are only 90 minutes worth of the shows and almost all of them are from the 2000 live sets of which just about every one is already available in this site's impressive audio archive. I don't have anything later than 2001 though so for the purposes of digitizing and getting them on here it'd be a great thing to do. I wouldn't particularly want to keep the tapes after though.

Simcut & Tremor: Thank you very much - this is especially kind of you both and a wonderful gesture.

I am more than happy to post them to you. In response to the above comments, I have nowhere near any intention of throwing them out; it's just that they are almost idling up in the attic, which means there is no way you can just listen to them when you feel like it.

In work, I even work with a few very passionate vinyl junkies with many great old/classic tracks (normal music - not trance :)) and they want to digitise it all for ease of accessing their collections. It just seems that this is way forward now and with these radio shows, in digital format especially, you can skip through them directly rather than fast-forwarding etc (serial access).

Tremor: Yes, I remember the 90 minute maximum you could record - :lol: - I used to timer record the shows from 5:30 till 7pm as I would rather sacrifice the first 1/2 hour as opposed to the final mix! I wonder what restrictions there in the 80 minutes of a CD-R though? I so wish CDs were 90minutes - you could record nice 1.5 hr sets then :)

Anyhow, I shall take these down from the attic today and look at how many etc and then contact you both to arrange postage? I don't have any tape decks no more - so can't do it myself, but I'm hoping that your tape decks, as long as they flip over automatically, should be easy enough to just record and come back an hour later? Or, if you're feeling reminisce, do a bit of work and listen back to them :)

Cheers again both! :winkthumbsup:

Edited by Aza

Although you used to get both 74mins and 80mins options. Never mind.

Aza - yes I also used to record the last 1.5 hours and miss the first 30 mins. But most shows I have have already been uploaded here in full so I've kinda run out of stuff I can submit. I've got a proper dual cassette deck which sounds as good as you'll get really off tapes and yeah it'll flip over itself etc. So just give me a shout when you're ready to send some over and I'll sort out arrangements with you. Perhaps you could send half of them my way and the rest to Simcut.. share the work load a bit. I look forward to it.

Sweet words N2F :) This places integrity continues to strengthen as time goes on.

Just a thought (aimed at Tim, Simcut and Fuzzy) - you guys will have to fill me on some of the work that is going on back stage in the continuation of building up the site; however, I'm not sure if Tim mentioned a Content Management System that generates the tracklisting pages - making the authors work easier.

Once we get these mixes digitised, could we include the MP3s in with each folder of the TLs so that at the bottom of the page, we could save "download this show"?

I guess it should be legal with the Beeb too?

Edited by Aza

Thats the plan mate incorporating the Tracklist into the forum area, like we did with the Unknown Tracks, and with the Audio.

What will happen is within the Tracklist Archive there will be the download links to each show at the bottom of the specific Tracklist page :)

And yeah of course we'll fill you in mate :) Initiation ceremony first though ;)

• 3 weeks later...

Received today thanks Aza. Got one on already. Some real Gems in here I tell you I'm going to enjoy doing this. Already some great memories flooding back as I'm listening.

Thanks for letting me know, Nathan :)

Glad you like the look of them - hopefully the time will pass wonderfully as the digitising process is undertaken! Really looking forward to getting these sorted for all of you and again many thanks to both you and Simon!

Great stuff :)

Yo Aza

Replied to your pm (eventually), when will you be posting the rest of the tapes so I know when to look out for them? :)

Cheers Simon - will be posting those off to you sometime this week - will PM to let you know when to expect. Thanks again :)