Connecting my laptop to my CDJ setup

simonross46

Ok folks I ave recently destroyed my CD burner built in my laptop due to excessive use trying to get all my favourite tunes on disc. I have Virtual DJ on my laptop, and I know it can be used with CDJ's and other devices (Corbo, for example, has an external midi controller which he uses with it). How simple/complicated is it to get my CDJ's working off Virtua DJ. There are no USB ports visable on my CDJ set up, so what should I do?

Ah Ok. To be honest I might not be the best person to comment as I know nothing about the citronic CD decks and not much about virtual DJ. I used to have a pioneer CDJ400 with USB connection and did once get that to work with a trial version of Virtual DJ.

If the CD decks dont have usb connections I think the only way to make them work with a software setup is to use encoded discs in the CDJs. You would then need some sort of USB interface to plug the audio output of both CDJ's into with phono cables. This then allows the CDJ's to control the software using timecoded CDs. Im afraid I dont know much about the products out there and their costs. Maybe you can buy just an interface that will work with virtual DJ meaning you only need to buy the hardware and that could be a cheap option.

However I don't know. You might only be able to get solutions like this from expensive brands like serato or traktor. These would be an all in package including software, the hardware interface and timecode CDs. I suspect the cost of that would be a few hundred pounds (just a guess).

Might be cheaper to get a new CD writer!

yeah indeed. I had this debate a little while ago but to be honest after I spent a lot of money on CDJ-1000's a year ago but just before the prices went right up, It's be a bit of a waste to go virtual DJ software at this stage. I still love the CD mixing format and I just have to get over it really with the time it takes to burn new CD's. Its not that bad. I just tend to do a couple of hours every couple of weeks of concentrated burning and labelling rather than doing it every time I download a new track.

Just a thought as I am not too up-to-date with these modern bits of kit.

But if you wanted to consider a CDJ with a USB connection, then you need worry/need to use software? I'm sure I was speaking to someone out over New Year and they said that they just plug in their external hard drives to the deck?

Unless you're planning to save up for a nice new laptop soon, I would definitely replace your CD drive soon because at some point it will become annoying not having one.

Another alternative of course is to use up 1x USB port of your current laptopn to plug in an external CD-RW drive which, although more expensive, could be an interim solution.