Judge Jules vs Dave pearce (and Tristan D)

Number2Fan

Right well while it's still kinda fresh in my mind, and in my ears.

I went to Brighton last night, Concorde 2 on the sea front, to see Judge Jules vs Dave Pearce.

Well I got there at 10.30 and another DJ was playing age of love, and stuff like that, to a relatively empty club. then at about 11.30 Tristan D started his set, in the flesh he looks quite nice btw, well he played an absolutely blinding hard trance set, with tunes I thought Jules should be playing, in fact a few Jules does play. Well the entire sound system went off, and the lights, then on came just his monitors, and for s moment it was all quite a concern but after a few minutes someone managed to plug in the cable that had been unattached and all was saved, Tristan certainly recovered well from it, announcing that it was the 'f****** clubs fault so blame the f****** club' slightly unnecessary I thought. But no where near as unnecessary as Tristan also using the 'Something for your mind your body and your soul' sample ALOT! Almost embarrassing in fact, and far too loud. But his tunes were amazing and really got every going, then Dave Pearce came on and rolled another fat one. By this time my ears had begun to suffer, so the sound quality for me became poor, and I was spending a fair amount of time trying to see Tremor in the club. A pretty good sized club IMO not too small not too big, but also not full. Nice layout, no luxury but it was just my kinda club TBH. Well Dave did play hard trance tunes too, Durands remix of Madagascar, Delerium - Silence, a tune that later Jules played aswell, a vocal uplifting trance tune that has the lyrics 'is it like dream' there were very many Dave Pearce fans at the front at this point, havin it large, wearing their jackets and dancing quite poorly but everyone was enjoying it. Dave was actually very animated behind the decks (looking very old, how old is he?) it was certainly a vast improvement on the last time I saw Dave, when he didn't even look up at the crowd and was playing a housey set. Mid Daves set I actually did wonder if Jules was gonna come on and play that awful angelic - roger shah rubbish and show himself up, but when Daves set finished on a good un, you could clearly hear Jules' more banging bassy beat come in. And then Jules played a harder set than I expected and despite being knackered and squashed, I didn't want to go away and sit down. It was the better tunes mainly from Februarys mix and a few new ones I haven't heard before. Then the dreaded ' something for your mind...' sample followed by a moment of scratching, ( :ermm: ) but none of thats anything new from Jules. I had said to my OH in the day that if Jules used it I would stick my fingers up at him. So it was a laugh when he did. :rolleyes: He did keep the club very active, and done a two tune encore, but I had left to find the stage door exit and I'm glad I did coz outside the club I heard the two tunes and it was 'two spirits' and then ERGH Florence and the bloody machine Bootie. AnyHOO outside in the rain I said Hi to Jules who was in a good mood, and I also told Tristan how impressed I was with his set. Coz I actually really was. It's not what I expected him to play at all. Then I got my photos, got dripped on my head while posing with Tristan.

Jules was in the club for longer than Tremor I think, but I managed to say Hi to him, after spotting him finally ;)

What a nightmare, texted me to say he was in the club, and then nothing for about an hour. tut tut. :whistling:

Nice to make human contact with a board member though. For me it is anyway.

Now my ears are ringing incredibly loudly, actually dingalinging in different tones, and I can't hear anybody speak unless they are face to face with me. So without fail, I'm purchasing some earplugs, just for clubbing use.

Where do I get those?

Here's my photos\/

22359_1353207957036_1436522978_30982675_3375270_n.jpg22359_1353208237043_1436522978_30982677_5228655_n.jpg

22359_1353211957136_1436522978_30982683_4651452_n.jpg

Me and Tremor, a little Blurry. /\

Tristan D and myself . \/

22359_1353207717030_1436522978_30982674_40870_n.jpg

22359_1353209357071_1436522978_30982681_5156332_n.jpg

It was really. I wanted to say aswell that I heard a Will Atkinson tune. I'm sorry sorry I don't remember the name of the tune at the moment. Also heard Passing judgement twice, once by TD and once by JJ.

And Heatbeat - Hadoken and Ferry Corsten - Brain Box

and my feet are still feeling lovely today, as I wore my converse and not heels!

They are still ringing today, not so bad if I have music playing, so I can't hear the ringing. It's not as loud. It's the worst ringing I've had.

He also played Estiva — 'Friends & Enemies' which I particularly wanted to hear actually. So I was happy about that and Solano — 'Making Waves'

i had a similar thing when i went to the syndicate blackpool, on nye, seen jules there too.......but stayed out most of the night in the main room, quite near the front, and ears was ringing about 5 days after it, seriously bad the morning after.....took a while to get rid of it totally

a major gripe of mine is when clubs make you wear "shoes" as opposed to trainers. You pay enough to get in, so why should you be told what to wear? Everytime i've been out in trainers, my feet and ankles have thanked me for it, i'll never understand this whole shoes thing. It must stem from the "shaz & tracey" clubs where the sole purpose is to pull.

I've never been to a proper dance music club that have specified shoes only, plenty of local clubs which think they are better than they are in a vein attempt to promote a high class culture do it but I don't really care when I go to places like that.

Proper clubbing for 6hrs + in shoes would ruin my week

So.... I eventually made it down to this gig and I must apologise to N2 for being so hard to find all night!

It was a pretty hectic day in general. I went to work at 5am at Olympia Exhibition Centre in London to set up for a trade show. Got back from there about 5pm and at that point was still confirming with a mate whether he had got us on the guest list or not. It turned out he had as he works there from time to time doing the lighting. So I left High Wycombe at about 8 in the end, arriving in Brighton just before 10. I had to go to my mate's flat in Hove first where we had a few beers before venturing out around 11. We then had a half hour walk just into the centre of Brighton where my mate wanted to meet some people at a club called Casa which was a Jazz venue. It was actually very cool and there were some amazing musicians on in there. It was about this point I received first text from N2 but my phone would not send texts - had limited signal at best.

My mate got drunk very quick (lightweight) and then became a bit of a mission to get down to Concord 2 which was another half hour walk away. Unfortunately he was skint and taxis were out of the question. It ended up being about 1.30 when I was walking up to the club and eventually I got there to see the 2nd half of Dave Pearce. Whilst his tune selection was pretty good, his mixing was all over the place and not just out of time but the tunes were dropped on the wrong bars and it was all very sloppy. I'm sure I have seen him mix really well somewhere else before but I certainly saw the more traditional view of DP on Friday. That said I was loving the tunes he played whilst I was also trying to find N2 as I could still not send texts apparently (I seriously need a new phone!).

The sound system in the club was pretty harsh and I think it's only because I went there so late that I didn't also have serious hearing problems the next day. As it was My ears were recovered by morning which is good news. As a sound engineer I get really annoyed with myself for forgetting my earplugs when I go clubbing cos my ears are obviously pretty important to me and my job and I should know better than most how important it is to protect your ears.

Anyway I finally found N2 during Jules's set which was really good. Some great tunes were played many of which I didn't know as I've been out of touch with his show recently. I just wish I could have heard it a bit more clearly. The highlight for me was hearing Marcel Woods - Everything which I have been smashing out every time I have a mix for the last couple of months. Hearing it in a club finally was amazing. His mixing was good and he didn't seem pissed probably as he'd come straight from Radio 1. The only let down was the persistent use of some random samples saying "Somebody......Everybody...... Make some Noooooiiiiiise" and then "Put your hands in the aaaaiiiiiir." It was pretty lame and cheesy. Gone are the days when Jules can just settle for blowing people away with purely tunes and mixing... these days there is always some sort of gimmick and this seems to be the new one.

Ah well we all gotta love him really. I had to rush back to London Olympia for lunchtime Saturday and I was pretty shattered to be fair but it was definitely worth it to see the Judge and it was also nice to meet another board member... haha that makes 2 weekends in a row that I've met new people off the board.

Good times!

I'm actually glad you say that about the sound system, because when I got there it was ok, it was only after a while, I think mid Dave Pearce that something happened that hurt my ears and then it all sounded quite bad after that, maybe they turned it up even more, I could hear Tristans set fine. Although I was at the front of the club most of the night. It was better when I moved to the back just before Jules came on, I could hear the tunes a bit better.

I do know that by the time I came over and asked you your name, I didn't know whether you had said yes or not.

You did miss out on Tristan D's set though.

Yeah I noticed some of Daves mixing was bad, but also my ears were decieving me, and half the time I was trying to work out what tune was on. :confused:

Actually it's all one big loud mess now, but I know I had a good time.

Thanx kml, I will check out that link.

My ears are still ringing today. It's a high pitched continuous whistle today though, not as loud, it really was proper loud ringing on Saturday. So bad I actually now wouldn't dare to go in a loud club without protection. As my next stop is hopefully MoS, I need to get some sorted.

But btw, Jules won!

Well worth the money when you consider price of going to club and long term damage to hearing. With the plugs in you will hear much clearer. Blocks out all the damaging noise from the sound system. I can actually hear what people say to me when wearing them and any vocal a lot cleared in tunes.

thanks kml for that link... I remember an old thread were I'm pretty sure these Alpines were recommended by someone, and I have on occasion tried to find that thread without luck, so thanks!

I'm definately going to be purchasing those Alpines (hopefully the store ship outside UK, the site doesn't really say). I'm sure it'll be well worth the money and a really good investment for my next concert or trip to MoS ;)

N2F & Tremor: Thanks for the party reports... always nice to read peoples judgement of a good night out. Cheers

N2F & Tremor: Thanks for the party reports... always nice to read peoples judgement of a good night out. Cheers

Yes, thanks for party reports...l enjoyed reading them both. Thanks for the pictures too.

When l was in Glasgow on the 30th at the 02 Academy Jules kept playing that cheesy "Put your hands up in the air" jingle which made me cringe, he played this a lot in Ibiza last year which didn't sound too bad because l was on holiday but don't want to hear it everytime l go and see him. Does he do this at the MOS?

I love Marcel Woods "Everything" which reminds of another tune that Jules kept playing a few years ago which l think was Marcel Woods "Lemon Tree" or something like that. He played "Everything" in Glasgow and also "Brainbox" but let the side down by playing that Snow Patrol tune which sounded out of place along with "Crazy World" which he finished on. Don't know why he keeps playing it, it should be put to bed now as he was hammering this tune last summer!

Luckily I didn't hear that Snow Patrol crap, and as I said I had left in time to be outside when Florence and the Machine came on. :sweatingbullets:

It's the only gripe I have about Jules atm, the rest still seems all pretty much regular old Julesy to me. :rolleyes: he did use the jingles FAR FAR too much and I heard many people moaning about them when I was in the club. Once is ok, twice not bad I guess, but it was ALOT!

I'm getting some of those Alpines too, Fuzzy if they don't ship to you, get them sent to me and I'll ship them to you if you want. :)

For anyone on my Facebook, there is a video from Tristan D's set.

And a video of Dave Pearce playing PUSH - The Legacy and I can tell you that the sound quality on the Dave Pearce video is actually better what that tune sounded like to me on the night!! I think it sounded better to everyone else tho surely.

yeah the problem is once you're hearing starts to get screwed in a club nothing sounds right for the rest of the night. I hate when that happens. I must have got away with it cos I never stayed in one place longer than a couple of tunes. I wasn't constantly taking an ear bashing right at the front.

Tremor, that Delerium - Silence video on my FB is actually clearer than I heard that tune on the night. Unfortunately I had to move further back, but didn't for a while because I had told you where I was standing in a text, and thought I best at least wait there for a bit. :) lol

Theres a Jules one there now, watch that at 1.42, total random, doing what total randoms do best on a good night!

I've never been to a proper dance music club that have specified shoes only

The only club i've been to that insisted on shoes is 'Mission' in Leeds. Nice club, but there's a weird atmosphere about the place.

The only let down was the persistent use of some random samples saying "Somebody......Everybody...... Make some Noooooiiiiiise" and then "Put your hands in the aaaaiiiiiir." It was pretty lame and cheesy.

This is exactly why I can't take Jules seriously any more. Unfortunately, its not a new thing - he did it all through his set at BCM in Majorca when I saw him there. It wouldn't have been so bad if it was only occasionally - but it was once or twice through every tune, and it became annoying very quickly. Its very cheesy and seems really inappropriate during a dance music set.

you were in glasgow????!! what did u think of glasgow?

i never went on 30th, had a few other options.

Transferred my reply to a new thread

Judge Jules, Glasgow 30.01.2010

http://www.judgejulesarchive.co.uk/archives/board/index.php?showtopic=6331&view=getnewpost&hl=&fromsearch=1

Start a new thread, copy and paste the reply into that, then delete the reply from here if you want to. You don't have to. :)

Cheers. l've transferred it to a new topic.

Judge Jules, Glasgow 30.01.2010

Inside Out @ 02 Academy, Glasgow

http://www.judgejulesarchive.co.uk/archives/board/index.php?showtopic=6331