J & T PROJECT

Number2Fan

Also, I've never understood the need for a DJ to have another human to "filter" the music for you?

I agree. NOBODY could ever pick tunes for me because there are often tunes I surprise myself with. Sure, I do have a certain 'sound' to my sets these days - but even then, there are tunes within this "sound" that I don't like, and also music outside of that "sound" that I like. I have favourite producers - but even then, I don't like every single tune that they do - so I don't see how anyone could filter my music when I reject/accept a lot of stuff myself sometimes, even though people think it sounds like my style.

I can understand some DJ's doing it because they probably get thousands of tunes per week. It makes sense to employ someone to filter out some of the more obvious, blatant, crap/cheesey tunes to cut it down a bit - but when it comes to 'fine tuning' a CD wallet, I would like to think that the DJ's have just hand-picked their own tunes out then.

In Jules's case though, if he gets that many tunes that he has to employ someone to be a 'filterer', then why isn't the turnover of tunes in his sets more frequent? If Jules was also getting hundreds or thousands of tunes per week, then I really don't understand why he needs to play so many bootlegs/mash-ups, and play the same tunes for months on end - such as Arnej - They Always Come Back, which Jules must have played for a good 9 months or so.

Well I have to be honest lads, Jules is responsible for possibly some of the worst bootlegs that I have ever heard in my life...(Tainted Love bears to mind). Its a shame in my opinion to see Jules play such awfull shite (forgive my language)....He should stick to the banging tunes...

Agree! That Tainted Love vs Southside Spinners one was shocking and didn't work at all - that was definately one of the worst, if not the worst, bootlegs i've ever heard. The Mark Ronson bootleg from a couple of years ago was also very poor.

The thing is, if Jules ditched these bootlegs, and played a more 'mature' style of Trance, then he could still be up there as one of the best DJ's around because on his day, he's still superb. We all know what he's capable of - but it just appears that he's choosing not to go down that route any more.

Quadders and Briggsy have both made some good points here. The issue of filterers has come up time and time again on here but it is a valid point. Personally I couldn't let anyone filter my tunes either.

The other thing I dont understand is even though Jules has a very busy and hectic gigging schedule, he is fortunate enough to make a full time living from DJing. It amazes me therefore that part of this job should not entail trauling through all the weekly promos and MP3 submissions himself. Now I do a pretty hectic job at times with some very unsociable hours and I DJ as a hobby on top of it. I can still find time in my week to look through the various MP3 sites for new tunes and keep an up to date fresh set. So why can't somebody who's whole life and work is to be a DJ.

The other thing I dont understand is even though Jules has a very busy and hectic gigging schedule, he is fortunate enough to make a full time living from DJing. It amazes me therefore that part of this job should not entail trauling through all the weekly promos and MP3 submissions himself. Now I do a pretty hectic job at times with some very unsociable hours and I DJ as a hobby on top of it. I can still find time in my week to look through the various MP3 sites for new tunes and keep an up to date fresh set. So why can't somebody who's whole life and work is to be a DJ.

I agree with this too mate. It does get slightly irritating when DJ's complain about the "stresses and strains" of DJ'ing and how hard a lifestyle it is (I'm not talking about Jules here by the way - i'm talking about numerous professional DJ's that often make this comment in their diaries).

The way I see it is, the only commitment full-time DJ's have is Friday and Saturday nights, plus the occasional midweek gig or two aswell. In Jules's case, a weekly radio show too which needs prepration. Anything else they choose to do on top of that such as radio interviews, TV work, a bit of work for record labels, etc is up to them. They're not forced to do it, and they don't need to do it because they earn bloody good money as it is. They can quite easily spend an entire day listening to music without it having any affect on their salary at all - yet most choose not too because they're "too busy" and employ a 'filterer' instead.

'Normal' people have to work full-time hours, plus drive to and from work too - yet we still have time to find tunes and squeeze in our gigs too.

Earning £1000 for 90 minutes work, plus a few extra hours travelling sounds bloody brilliant to me. I wish I had the luxury of that "stress and strain".

I'm DJ'ing three weekends of this four week month - yet i've not found it a "stress or strain". I've also not been too busy to listen to new tunes - despite me working full time hours during the week too. Professional DJ's don't have that burded of full-time work in the week, so I have very little sympathy for them when they claim to be "too busy".

The idea of a music filterer is good in principle but I agree totally that it isn't really a practical thing to implement.

Music taste has to be one of the most personal things to someone & particularly for a person who makes a living from the music that they play & thus make their reputation of the quality of it, it is a massive oversight imo.

But then if Jules is contributing to making these awful, awful bootlegs then surely he is liable for the vast majority of any blame?

Well I have to be honest lads, Jules is responsible for possibly some of the worst bootlegs that I have ever heard in my life...(Tainted Love bears to mind). Its a shame in my opinion to see Jules play such awfull shite (forgive my language)....He should stick to the banging tunes...

Suppose next they will do a bootleg incoporating the "Venga Boys" and "Fireman Sam" or some terrible thrash like that....

I'm reckoning something featuring JEDWARD is on the cards!! :rubbish:

I'm reckoning something featuring JEDWARD is on the cards!! :rubbish:

:o l hope not. However anything is possible as his wife Amanda mentioned on FB that she liked the Jedward song! I haven't heard any of their stuff so can't comment on their music style but doubt if it would appeal to me. :blink:

I accidently saw them do one song on X Factor when it was on, and I'm happy to say I have avoided all contact with them since......... and yes, I think Amanda has Cheesey taste. Her fave last year was ' When love takes over ' I think, so......................I'll say no more here. :rubbish:

But then if Jules is contributing to making these awful, awful bootlegs then surely he is liable for the vast majority of any blame?

I agree mate. I guess they might work at his more commercial gigs where the crowd are, on the whole, fairly clueless about 'proper' dance music - but he surely can't expect to play them at the likes of Gatecrasher or Godskitchen and expect not to get a few raised eyebrows!

On a side note - I was to Classique last night to see Super8 & Tab, Gavyn Mytchel, Paul Morrell & Tristan D.

It was a superb night until Tristan D came on - he was shocking. Its a good job he was on last - he took the dancefloor down from around 180 people, to 12 - and then the venue closed 45 minutes early.

I've never heard 'mixing' quite like it (It barely qualifies as mixing to be honest).

OMG Really?

I must have caught him on a good day then, and before he got pissed up maybe.

He wasn't that bad at BCM - he played crap tunes at BCM, but his mixing wasn't too bad. Last night, his tunes were average, but his mixing was abysmal. No flow to his sets - from melodic to tech, tech to hard, hard to soft melodic - all over the shop. On two occasions, rather than mixing, he seemed to just blend two quiet parts of each track over for about 5 seconds. Then his 'encore' tune was a cheesy version of "I need Your Lovin".

He wasn't drunk either. He got there fairly early, and didn't appear to be with anyone that would have been a driver - so I would imagine he drove himself to the gig so stayed off the drink. He just didn't seem that bothered.

i just need to say again j&t are really jules and tristan didnt like most of there stuff eighter

i really cant understand why ore whats happend with jules sometimes he got a really shit taste of music

i seen it this fryday he was playing dj mog clouds an amsing tune and after that he cames with dada life tune ..i was just thinkign wtf ....

someties i really miss the old days but now is time for the new music but without good taste of music ...he always say in his show he resieve 500 tunes per week i always think where

are the tunes :wall:

he always say in his show he resieve 500 tunes per week i always think where

are the tunes :wall:

I was thinking the same; more than 50% of the tunes he played last night have been played before on his show. Some have been played about 5 times. It doesn't make sense because in one breathe he says that its difficult to fit in all the (good) new tunes he's received and then plays about 6 new tunes but continues playing some of the tunes that he has been playing for weeks on end.

Me too! I can't understand how Jules can say on his diary that he's so busy searching through hundreds of new promos each week - yet when I see him out in clubs, he's playing tunes that he's played for ages and only a tiny amount of new tunes get played.

Email Jules and ask him why.

He wasn't that bad at BCM - he played crap tunes at BCM, but his mixing wasn't too bad. Last night, his tunes were average, but his mixing was abysmal. No flow to his sets - from melodic to tech, tech to hard, hard to soft melodic - all over the shop. On two occasions, rather than mixing, he seemed to just blend two quiet parts of each track over for about 5 seconds. Then his 'encore' tune was a cheesy version of "I need Your Lovin".

He wasn't drunk either. He got there fairly early, and didn't appear to be with anyone that would have been a driver - so I would imagine he drove himself to the gig so stayed off the drink. He just didn't seem that bothered.

We have seen him play a few times now and he can range from a pretty good upcoming DJ to one that is just trying to clone (badly) other big names DJs style and set content ... even down to how he trys to work the crowd