JJA Amnesty Thread

milkybarkid

Apologies if this has been done, or if it's the wrong forum (mods feel free to move if so).

Right, this is the thread where you can air your dirty dance music related laundry without reprisal. Anything you feel guilty about, or opinions that go against the grain. Remember, this isn't to cause rows, or offend, just a sanctuary for your guilt. I'll start.

I owned, and played out in a nightclub, Dj Jurgen, and a Venga Boys remix many moons ago. Jules was also playing them. No excuse though.

I think Rui Da Silva 'Touch Me' is one of the finest pieces of dance music ever written.

Sasha and Digweed's 'legendary' sets produced some of the most boring, overrated crap known to man.

Jules has never produced one properly 'great' tune, either solo, or with Hi-Gate.

Again, none of these are to cause friction, just my opinion.

Apologies if this has been done, or if it's the wrong forum (mods feel free to move if so).

Right, this is the thread where you can air your dirty dance music related laundry without reprisal. Anything you feel guilty about, or opinions that go against the grain. Remember, this isn't to cause rows, or offend, just a sanctuary for your guilt. I'll start.

I owned, and played out in a nightclub, Dj Jurgen, and a Venga Boys remix many moons ago. Jules was also playing them. No excuse though.

I think Rui Da Silva 'Touch Me' is one of the finest pieces of dance music ever written.

Sasha and Digweed's 'legendary' sets produced some of the most boring, overrated crap known to man.

Jules has never produced one properly 'great' tune, either solo, or with Hi-Gate.

Again, none of these are to cause friction, just my opinion.

I've played a Luminar club in the Boro - and absolutely hated it. I played Liquid in around 2001-2 time-ish the money was good though, but i was constantly being told by the Manager cum promoter to "play more vocal, you're going to hard" (at the time i was playing Mauro Picotto "Like This, Like That") , "ere mate, throw some R&B on at about midnight". Its funny how these things stick on your mind when Djing. Needless to say, i got pissed off, and never played there again.

Laptop djing IS the way forward peeps. Not even the new CDJ2000's can compete with it. I'd still rather use Traktor/Serato and a set of Technics than CDJ's. I dont know why this really is either. I suppose its the feel of vinyl. I wish we could go back to vinyl, it's collectable, not everyone had the same tunes, and it sounds better. I miss lugging my record boxes to gigs and trying to stop tonearms from skipping.

I've never understood "progressive". Back in 2002-2003 when it seemed everyone was playing it, i didnt get it then. To me, progressive equals boring. I know a few on here like "progressive", but i just dont get it, i have tried, but cannot get into it. Sorry if i have caused offence, but thats just my opinion. Dance music isn't supposed to be cool, trendy, or arty, you're supposed to dance to it. So with that, i'll continue to play out tunes like Freemasons "Watchin" and Junior Jack "Stupidisco". :silenced:

Fragma "Toca Me" is STILL the best dance record made. It's not deep or meaningful i know, just a nice melody and some nice sing-a-long vocals. A track with so many great memories, it'll be with me forever.

Tiesto's mix of "Silence" was not as good as the Airscape mix. Well, it wasn't. I'm not saying it's cack, far from it, the Tiesto mix is very good, but the Airscape mix had more urgency and more euphoria/rush about it.

Dance music isnt as good as it was 10 years ago. Am i just getting old or is it really not as good as what it was? Personally, i blame mp3's. I've aired this view before. Nowadays anyone can make a tune with now physical hardware, send it to a label who'll think "we'll bung it beatport, if it sells, it'll go on to a major and make some money, if it doesn't, it hasnt cost us much...NEXT". Whereas 10 years ago, you had to know how to use hardware, send the demo off to a record boss who had to decide if it was good enough for a 500 Test Press run. If it was, promo it etc etc. Thats gone these days, and thats why i feel, music maybe isnt as good as what is used to be.

The Judge Jules Clubbers Guide To...Cd's were the best compilations. They were, especially the 2000 one. It was bloody epic!

I'll stop now....sorry.

I don't have time to answer this thoroughly atm, but I definitely have something to add. I'll be back. :ninja:

LOL I agree totally...
Fragma "Toca Me" is STILL the best dance record made. It's not deep or meaningful i know, just a nice melody and some nice sing-a-long vocals. A track with so many great memories, it'll be with me forever.

and again...

[

i]The Judge Jules Clubbers Guide To...Cd's were the best compilations. They were, especially the 2000 one. It was bloody epic! [/i]

and again, adding only that ....to 99 is my favourite compilation album ever, but the others are still amazing works of dance music art from thier time. Ibiza 98 etc etc I miss looking forward to the release of such compilations now. And yes the clubbing memories the tunes on them bring.