whats the ultimate year in clubbing you ever had. tunes wise ?

newts

Easily, what with summer 1998 being the start and summer 2000 being the end it has to have been the most awesome, spine tingling banging trance and hard house nights out I have had and will EVER have in my life!!! Tunes that still make every tiny hair on my arms and back of my neck stand on end!!! :thumbsup:

I loved clubbing in 1999

Easily, what with summer 1998 being the start and summer 2000 being the end it has to have been the most awesome, spine tingling banging trance and hard house nights out I have had and will EVER have in my life!!! Tunes that still make every tiny hair on my arms and back of my neck stand on end!!! :thumbsup:

I loved clubbing in 1999

i was only 16 then so cant comment even though i do have all the tunes from them years i never got to rave about to them ! :-(

My favourite years tunes wise were 98-2000. I feel that this was the strongest period for trance in particular but also for Jules. He played lots of wacky house/hard house/Trance genre crossing stuff the likes of which you dont come accross anymore.

I feel that Trance actually took a down turn as early as 2001.. although this was definitely still a good year for it but it was also when progressive trance started to become really popular and Seb Fontaine joined Radio 1 etc. I was never too keen on "slowing things down" which is what this era seemed to do and things got a bit more proggy and housey rather than techy and hard which is my preferred style.

The annoying thing is I was still only 15 back in 2000 so did not get to experience any of the tunes during my clubbing years. It was however when I first got decks so another good reason for great tune memories.

For actual clubbing I started going in 2003 but at the time was mainly going with mates to Slammin Vinyl events - Hardcore and Oldskool nights. It was more like 2005 onwards Ive been going to Trance nights so judging that period onwards I'd say 2006/2007 were very strong - 2006 was a good year for Global Gathering and I also went to Gatecrasher 1 a number of times plus God's Kitchen, Media and several more. I felt Jules had a couple of good years then as well just before hitting the "bootleg and J&T phase" we have been in the last couple of years.

2004 & by some distance!

It was my first year really going clubbing regularly & I was in Gods pretty much every single Friday that year.

Tunage wise it was unbelievable & so many phenomenal prodcuers seemed to break through all at once. Listen to Armin's Year Mix from 2004 to see what I mean.

I was way too young for 1999 but the records from that year are very special

I loved clubbing in 1999

100% agree. 98 was when i really got into proper clubbing at proper clubs, 99 was when i first went to Ibiza, so certainly 98 and 99 were amasing and i had some of the best nights of my life!!

I see alot of it relates to when you first discovered proper clubbing. However mine does not. I've been around a bit longer than some, so I do have some other special years but 1999 beats them by a long chalk. If I had to choose to go clubbing again in any year of the past I wouldn't hesitate to say 1999.

But I will add here that 1989 and 1994 and in third place 1997(though I never went out at all for 1997) have special places in my memory. The rave and the now called old skool becoming the 1994 club scene were fab to be a part of, and 1997 is the year I feel trance started seeping into the limelight.

;)

Anyway, what I was trying to say was, I definitely think it was the music and atmosphere of that time, and not my age or circumstance. Because if it was age and circumstance, I'd be hankering after a whole different bunch of years.

I am very very glad that I had a part in that time now, although AT the time it just seemed like it would always feel like that.

It makes me sad to think now that if I go out, I will hear some good tunes, some of them will even be remixes from that special time, I will still chat to some other clubbers, I will DANCE all night, say hello to the DJ, but I know it just wont feel the same. It wont feel AMAZING, I wont be able to get by for another month on the pleasure and the excitement of planning the next night out. It will be forever slightly disappointing.

Like a heroin addict forever chasing the ultimate high and never ever finding it again, because it is impossible, once you've already had it.

From my Wish it was 1999 thread a while back.

• 3 weeks later...

I loved clubbing in 1999

couldn't put it better myself. :-)

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 3 months later...

I'm old enough to say that I was out clubbing in the late 90's. For me it was the summer of '99 that will always stand out the most. Jules' tunes were just so strong and as a bedroom dj I admired his mixing and stage presence.