BBC 6 Music being closed down

kml

i think 6 music should stay, as it was all about breaking new music, but id close quite a few of the tinpot local stations.

Theres nothing up with the free terestrial ones either.......im all for more free stations, it beats just having 5 channels like we used to.

i think 6 music should stay, as it was all about breaking new music, but id close quite a few of the tinpot local stations.

Theres nothing up with the free terestrial ones either.......im all for more free stations, it beats just having 5 channels like we used to.

None of the BBC channels are free.

But if you have sky or virgin then you need a TV to recieve it don't you, and then you'd need a license, so you wouldn't need to subscribe. Anyway, bollocks to it, as far as I can tell no one is listening to it. Not even us lot. :whistling:

Poor Dave tho...

But if you have sky or virgin then you need a TV to recieve it don't you, and then you'd need a license, so you wouldn't need to subscribe. Anyway, bollocks to it, as far as I can tell no one is listening to it. Not even us lot. :whistling:

Poor Dave tho...

The license fee is a joke and it should go. The BBC should have to fund itself via advertising or subscription.

the issue with dance anthem type shows, as good a thing to hear some classics....is the majority of stations are doing a similar thing, rock fm, kiss, all the emap network pretty much has an anthems show, and probably other stations too.

But thats an off topic debate......

The problem with the BBC isn't that it has too many stations - the problem is that it has too many overpaid celebrities on silly salaries rather than 'normal' presenters on 'normal' salaries like most stations.

Chris Moyles - massively overpaid

Vernon Kay - massively overpaid

Sara Cox - massively overpaid

That's just on Radio 1 alone! Then there's Jonathan Ross, Chris Evans, Terry Wogan, etc on Radio 2.

There are presenters on local stations doing as good a job, if not better, earning a fraction of what they get paid.

BBC has far too many radio and tv channels. A lot more should be axed and maybe even the BBC as we know it.

I would agree there are too many radio stations and TV channels generally.

But I totally disagree we should axe the BBC; what a disgraceful way to dismiss arguably the most diverse and reputable media network in the world - and one that has given us and generations before us countless hours of quality programming and pleasure. Can you name a better corporation?

i will miss dance anthems again as i was getting used to it on a sunday night trust the bbc to ruin my sunday nights again !!

Record a few shows as when it was on radio 1 it was the same tunes almost every week.

Most of the commercial favourites were the same but there was always 15-20 minutes of new tracks in the mix every week. Seems you left your Trance trousers behind, sir! ;)

The license fee is a joke and it should go. The BBC should have to fund itself via advertising or subscription.

One of the best - and certainly one of the most unique - features of the BBC is its lack of advertisements. I'm very happy to pay my £142.50 a year. I really do not like some of the output of the BBC but other material is fantastic. You have to pay if you want quality programmes and no adverts, simple as! I don't want to get into a class war but I feel strongly for protecting our history, institution, and heritage.

BBC Coat of Arms (bet you didn't know they had one!):

Bbc_logo_before_1970.png

oldlogosmall.jpg

old-bbc-logo-1.jpg

old-bbc-logo-2.jpg

old-bbc-logo-3.jpg

"Nation shall speak peace unto Nation"

Record a few shows as when it was on radio 1 it was the same tunes almost every week.

Yeah it was. Used to do my f****** head in.

" WWWWOARRGH YEAH DAVE THIS IS GARY CAN YOU PLAY CAFE DEL MAR YEAH WOOO I'M IN MY RENAULT 5 WITH THE POSSEE..!!! "

I was forced to listen to it btw.

I can't believe people complain about the license fee though. £142.50 a year is a bargain - it works out to 39p a day!

Where else can you get entertainment these days for 39p? Sure, it might churn out some rubbish at times - but we get bloody good value for money really. Its produced some quality comedies over the years - Only Fools And Horses, Fawlty Towers, etc.

ITV is poor in comparison - plus commercials are irritating.

I just finished watching Being Human, loved it, on ITV it woulda been shag!

I also like Andrew Marr and BBC documentaries, channel 4 docs are always biased and on other channels like 5 they have ridiculous titles, like a jeremy kyle headline. Thats another thing. Kilroy was much better than Kyle. :D

Anyway, I pay mine, coz i got caught without one once. Since then I've D/D'd it all the way. Cheaper than my ever rising SKY bill atm. Started at 17.50 pm for phone, tv, broaband, 2 yrs ago, when I gave up smoking, last month I apid 46 quid!!! :twisted: Gotta sort that out.

Dance anthems is a show I dont need, I could do it myself better. :rolleyes:

I can't believe people complain about the license fee though. £142.50 a year is a bargain - it works out to 39p a day!

Where else can you get entertainment these days for 39p? Sure, it might churn out some rubbish at times - but we get bloody good value for money really. Its produced some quality comedies over the years - Only Fools And Horses, Fawlty Towers, etc.

ITV is poor in comparison - plus commercials are irritating.

Most of these are 20 plus years old. Look at the rubbish it produces now. It tries to be all things to all people and it isn't. It has tried to run numerous different channels and radio stations appealing to every man and his dog and failed.

It's an institution that needs radical reform.

I just finished watching Being Human, loved it, on ITV it woulda been shag!

I also like Andrew Marr and BBC documentaries, channel 4 docs are always biased and on other channels like 5 they have ridiculous titles, like a jeremy kyle headline. Thats another thing. Kilroy was much better than Kyle. :D

Anyway, I pay mine, coz i got caught without one once. Since then I've D/D'd it all the way. Cheaper than my ever rising SKY bill atm. Started at 17.50 pm for phone, tv, broaband, 2 yrs ago, when I gave up smoking, last month I apid 46 quid!!! :twisted: Gotta sort that out.

Dance anthems is a show I dont need, I could do it myself better. :rolleyes:

Sky offer an optional subscription. You won't get letters threatening legal action and taken to court if you don't have a licence.

I got out of court and the fine. With my charm. It pays to be polite and blonde sometimes. Got major caught out big stylee though.

BBC radio sucks arse. Generally always has. Sara Cox and Vernon Kay oughta go DO one FFS!

Must have been in your salad days :wub:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/entertainment/8546696.stm

BBC Trust open to 6 Music 'rethink'

Sir Michael Lyons

The BBC Trust is the governing body of the BBC

"Public concern" might mean the BBC will have to "rethink" plans to axe two radio stations, BBC Trust chairman Sir Michael Lyons has said.

There has been growing opposition to the announcement by director general Mark Thompson on Tuesday, earmarking 6 Music and Asian Network for closure.

The proposals will go through a public consultation before being approved.

Mr Thompson is expected to meet with union leaders later, who say 600 people could lose their jobs.

Broadcasting union Bectu and the National Union of Journalists have already warned there could be staff strikes to fight any compulsory redundancies.

'Public concern'

Closing BBC 6 Music is bad news for unsigned acts and new British music.

Lily Allen, Guardian

More reactions from the papers

Send us your comments

The proposed cuts have been criticised by music industry figures including music producer Mark Ronson and pop star La Roux.

More than 100,000 people have already joined a group set up on social networking site Facebook to save 6 Music.

Writing in the Guardian, Brit-winner Lily Allen said she hoped "that the backlash they've received so far will make them think twice".

The strategy review has also proposed that half of the BBC websites would close by 2013, along with teen services Switch and Blast.

But, Sir Michael has told the BBC's Today programme that nothing has been decided for definite yet.

"If we find that there's massive public concern that we need to take account of, then we will go back to the director general to rethink the strategy before it's approved."

FROM THE TODAY PROGRAMME

More from Today programme

Sir Michael said the report "heads towards a more disciplined and sharply-focused BBC" which means "some difficult choices" will need to be made.

"But we will not shrink from those choices where they are in the interests of licence fee-payers," he added.

"There will always be people who are disappointed when you take something away from them - that's the history of the BBC and the history of public services.

"One strong message that the trust is putting out is that the BBC simply cannot continue to grow forever. The impact that then places on both the licence fee and on competitors has to be more measured."

The review has also pledged that more money would be ploughed into international news and the BBC must put a higher proportion of the licence fee into quality programmes to make "fewer things better".