Music production software

Hi all. I've almost completely retired from dj ing after 13 years and am looking to fill my spare time by making music. Me & a friend want to make anything from trance to hip hop, to drum n bass. Can anyone recommend any software? Our budget is about £300. The one that i'm thinking of getting is Ableton Live, but does anyone else have any suggestions, and give the pros/cons for their selected software? Many thanks.

Andrew.

Me and Rob Corbo both use Ableton Live. It always comes down to personal preference in the end though. I started with Reason and I hated it, then tried Ableton and it was so much nicer for me. There is so much to learn though, but once you get to the point where you know everything it can do, it's extremely powerful stuff!

simon is right its all down to personal preference,i use ableton and it is powerfull stuff,i done a music production course with timmy and tommy and started out with reason,it is complicated to use but its fairley ok when u get in2 it,we then moved on2 logic which is great but a bit hard to use aswell,but as simon says and i would agree its down to personal preference i mainly use ableton but i have got logic and reason installed aswell gona try rewire them together and use them

A lot of people seem to think FL Studio is a bit, well, toy though. I've never used it, but surely, ultimately they all pretty much do the same? I know Laidback Luke used to use it though, and Dave Spoon uses Reason, so i guess its the ideas that are important, not what software you use.

i use logic pro 9 but its taken me 3 years to learn :thumbsdown:

but its sick once you know how ! not sure if there is a windows version though ! ?

no logic is mac only,its a great piece of software aswell,its own plugins are great

as for sample packs trackitdown do great packs and so does primeloops

check them out

Off topic slightly, but sir dancetothedrummersbeat, you were the one who submitted that 2-hr Ferry Corsten download on here covering for Jules in 2000.... Did you record any more like this? :)

Off topic slightly, but sir dancetothedrummersbeat, you were the one who submitted that 2-hr Ferry Corsten download on here covering for Jules in 2000.... Did you record any more like this? :)

Hi Quadrant, yes that was me. I'm only a part time visitor to this forum to be honest. I tend to alternate between this and a few old school bmx forums. Every few months I have a spell where I put on my trance trousers and get involved again. All the material I uploaded/submitted was a mix of stuff that was given to me by 2 friends, plus some stuff that i'd recorded myself. Sadly i've sent in everything I have - Cant remember if i sent it to you or Simcut???....

Sorry I cant help you any further.