Films & Cinema Threadage

JasonB

Has any of youse been to a cinema or three this year? what films has you watched? what films are you looking forward to seeing this year?

I haven't been to a cinema since december when I saw Avatar.

I am looking forward to Iron Man 2 muchly though and will probably see it first week its out

Nice idea Jason! Thumbsup!

Films I can remember I've watched in a cinema since December 18th when i watched Avatar.... in no particular order.

Clash Of The Titans 3D - they should never have released it in 3D!... the actual movie isn't bad, but it's not good either. It's cool though that Mads Mikkelsen (dane!) has a rather big role :thumbsup:

Gainsbourg (Vie héroïque) - brilliant played and very interesting biography of Sergé Gainsbourg

Kick-Ass - Awesome... just awesome!

Alice In Wonderland 3D - OK movie, but too mainstream. I expected more from Mr. Burton

How To Train Your Dragon 3D - Really good both in it's original english language, but also very good in the danish dubbed version (if you didn't know, vikings used to live in Denmark, so the danish speak fits the characters very good!).

An Education - Well played... brilliant soundtrack!

Green Zone - I like the grittyness of this flick, the story wasn't super though... but enjoyable nonetheless.

Planet 51 (3D) - Entertaining and interesting way of turn the old Alien Invaders upside down :)

Edge Of Darkness - Typical Mel Gibson 'revenge' movie... didn't do much for me.

Daybreakers - Tried to be an interesting and new take on the old Vampire story, but the trailer (the one with Placebo - Running Up That Hill) was better than the movie. Seriously! :nuke:

Legion - Worst movie I've watched in a loooonng time...! :nuke::ill::nuke:

Shutter Island - Brilliant directing and cinematography. Abeauty for the eye and very well played by Leo and the rest of the cast.

As some might know, I work as a projectionist at a movie theater, hence the long list of movies ;)

Movies I'm looking forward to in 2010:

Iron Man 2 - I AM IRON MAN!!! Oh yeah baby! :D

Inception - Christopher Nolan... do I need to say more? Watch the trailer and forget any grudge you might have against Leonardo di Caprio. I have no doubt the man can act... just watch Shutter Island.

Toy Story 1 & 2 in 3D (I haven't watched these in over 10 years and I'm REALLY looking forward to watch these in 3D in the theater!)

Toy Story 3

Prince Of Persia - I'm an old fan of the original DOS game for PC and the traielr looks rather interesting...imho

Brooklyns Finest - Snipes back on the big screen.. yay! I read something good about it somewhere and hey, it's the director of Shooter and Training Day.

Youth In Revolt - Probably targeted at kids 10years younger than me, but since it's Michael Cera, it should be a laugh.

Knight and Day - Looks absolutely hilarious and cheesy as f*ck, but probably very entertaining nonetheless!

Predators - Rodriguez behind the wheel... "if it bleeds, we can kill it"!!

The Expendables - Lee, Statham, Lundgren, Rourke, Bruce, Arnold and Sylvester... A.C.T.I.O.N.!!!

Jonah Hex - Loved the comic back when I was a kid, hopefully Megan Fox won't ruin it completely...

Tron Legacy - As this is shot entirely in 3D and a big part of the movie takes place inside a 100% CG world, I'm looking very forward to see how it looks compared to... say, Avatar? :-)

I see if I can make a reply with some of the movies I've seen on DVD/Blu-Ray recently. Hoipefully someone else will do that aswell. It's always interesting to hear other peoples taste in movies.

It's amazing some of the brilliant movies you can go through a life without knowing just because you never stumbled across it. I'm always looking to leech a bit from peoples movie experiences and maybe be positively surprised :oddcake:

Peace!

God damn Fuzzy, you've seen looooooads of films recently haha. Last film I saw in the 'ma was Michael Jackson ... didnt want to go but my flatmates dragged me there and it was alright actually. I wish I saw 2012 in the 'ma but I was too busy with uni work at the time. Got the dvd now though and I love it to bits :)

Definitely Tron Legacy and Predators (although I do wish they would leave it alone now after the awful AVP 2) I interested in, and Prince Of Persia kinda now after seeing the trailer on Johnathan Ross's show last night, Gemma Arterton was one of his guests, tried playing the Megdrive game but never could get anywhere, too difficult!

Fuzzy works in a cinema you spanner.

Upon Fuzzys advice I recently took the kids to see 'How to train your dragon' in 3D and I have to say it was f****** amazing. I wouldn't have gone to see it, as I didn't like the look or sound of it but I ended up practically in love with the main character. The 3D actually worked well on it, making us jump and flinch as it should (but so often doesn't)

Have to say though, it cost me over £40 for me and 3 kids, one coke and one popcorn shared and I bought sweets and drinks from Tescos the day before. I actually think that is a bit expensive, children should be cheaper AND on a kids 3D film, the glasses should stay on their heads, or be a smaller pair for under 5's!!

I would defo go more often if the prices were a bit more friendly, I thought £8.95 was dear when I went to see my last film, but my ticket for this was £11.50 <_<

• 4 months later...

ah, I comepletely forgot about this thread.. good one though... right down my alley :)

I've done a little update since last time...

Movies watched:

Iron Man 2 - A worthy sequel, though i thought Justin Hammer was a bit annoying, but Sam Rockwell played well, as the character is supposed to be like that. Micky Rourke killed it... really good pick to play Whiplash!

Inception - Best movie I've watched this year... absolutly love the score. Already had some ideas for a trance rework.. too bad I got no producer skills :D

Toy Story 1 & 2 in 3D (I haven't watched these in over 10 years and I'm REALLY looking forward to watch these in 3D in the theater!).... this was a really good watch! TS2 was much better than i remembered it to be, so was really happy I went to the theater and watched these!

Toy Story 3 - Instant classic! This is for me the best of the Toy Story films, though one could arguye that it wouldn't be much without at least the first film... But when I think about it, Pixar have really designed this to be something to watch for people (specially the little ones) who haven't seen a Toy Story movie before... one thing that really stands out is the complexity of detail and the amazing way Pixar/Disney can capture emotions and transfer them to a computer animated plastic toy or animated human being. If you got touched by 'UP', prepared for a touching end to Toy Story 3... in a good way :thumbsup:

Prince Of Persia - erks... the story almost made me nauseous... SO clichefilled and lame that the original 'Jaffar' story (Alladin ripoff or not) would be better... anyway, the effects were OK, but again... still not the time worth watching, imho.

Knight and Day - "Looks absolutely hilarious and cheesy as f*ck, but probably very entertaining nonetheless!" <--- what he said... just remove the 'very' before entertaining ;)

Predators - somewhat a disappointment, but still enjoyable to watch...

The Expendables - Lee, Statham, Lundgren, Rourke, Bruce, Arnold and Sylvester... A.C.T.I.O.N.!!! <-- fulfilled my expectations 100% and a little more... 80's action all the way, filled with cliches and references én mass... loved it!

Blu-Ray:

Training Day - brutal and realistic, and really good! Didn't realise it was Denzel Washington until the credits... VERY surprised by his acting. Good stuff!

Gone Baby Gone - Never understood the hype of Casey Affleck before I watched this film. I'll definitely go watch 'The Killer Inside Me' when it premieres here and find The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford on Blu-Ray.

Still to come...

Jonah Hex - Loved the comic back when I was a kid, hopefully Megan Fox won't ruin it completely...

Tron Legacy - As this is shot entirely in 3D and a big part of the movie takes place inside a 100% CG world, I'm looking very forward to see how it looks compared to... say, Avatar? :-)

Avatar: Special Edition: 8minutes and 29seconds added... Yes, it's probably just Camerons excuse to "milk the cow" as we say... but nonetheless... it's been over 6 months since I watched Avatar in 3D, and I'm a sucker for more. been watching the B-rolls on traileraddict.com.... nerd? not me! :D

gotta run... more later!

I cried twice watching Toy Story 3 ... purely because when it started I realised that the 'story' had started back when i was a kid. Now I'm grown up and all the characters have grown up too. It was quite weird cos I never cry at films but I just had the image of me sitting in the exact same cinema watching the originals years ago. The end is nice too! :)

Avatar: Special Edition: 8minutes and 29seconds added... The added/extended scenes is somewhat 50% fill (very nice visuals though.. new creatures.. some cow-like animals and some bat-like birds!) and 50% storytelling... It's not a big enough incentive to make a re-run in the theaters, but if you feel like watching Avatar again while you wait for the Extended Special Edition Blu-Ray (15-16minutes added), then this is definitely worth a watch.

Talk about cash cow, add more minutes release in cinema again, add yet more minutes release this version on blu ray, wait ten years add even more footage :lol:

Can you say Lord Of The RIngs Trilogy... Extended Editions..? :rolleyes:

Normal Versions, DVD

Extended Editions, DVD

Normal Versions, BluRay

Extended Versions, BluRay

I watched Bladerunner again the other day, brilliant film, an absolute classic, to think that it is 28 years old, unreal. The 'tears in rain' speech is a very special scene!

I also watched The Bounty with Anthony Hopkins, Mel Gibson, Dexter Fletcher, Neil Morrissey, Liam Neeson, and more! great film.

• 2 weeks later...

When's Potter out Fuzzy?

Also when is 'How to train your dragon' gonna get DVD release I've been waiting ages!!

According to iMDB, it'll be out in the UK on the 19th of November... one day after Denmark ;)

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0926084/releaseinfo

How To Train Your Dragon... well, look it up on amazon or something, they should have a release date by now..

EDIT: "Available for pre-order. This item will be released on 15 Nov 2010."

next time, remember Google is your friend... right hon? ;)

• 2 weeks later...

"Scott Pilgrim Vs. The World".... Highly underrated by anyone else than the gaming comminuty, the cartoon nerds and just plain people who like superheroes in general...

I don't get why this flopped in the US... It's hilarious, clever and very entertaining... at least I was entertained throughout the movie :)