Aza and Tremor present - Gone But Not Forgotten

Hi guys. This project has been a few weeks in the making now and hopefully you will all enjoy it. A few weeks ago after posting my 'For The Archives' mix I got chatting to Aza about a couple of mixes spanning a much wider time frame of "Gone But Not Forgotten" tunes that Jules has played over the years. Aza got to thinking very quickly about this and sent me through a whole bunch of suggestions and even supplied me with many of the tunes as there were a number I didn't have. Aza has played a huge part in compiling these mixes and helping to form the set structure and then I have had a go at putting the whole thing together as a mix. I've been working hard at part one of this the last few days and here is the result. There will be a 2nd part coming soon. Hopefully there will be some little gems in these sets that are not always the obvious selections for a classics set and there are also a few biggies in there which we just both love. I have very much enjoyed putting this together and thanks again to Aza for his huge input.

GBNF Part One

01. Soho - 'Flyin' Madness' (Flyin' Padmix) [b²]
02. Future Breeze - 'Temple of Dreams' (Pedro Del Mar vs. DJ Shah's UK Dub Mix) [Data]
03. Mike Foyle vs. Signalrunners - 'Love Theme Dusk' (Mike's Broken Record Mix) [Armind]
04. Dido - 'All You Want' (Divide & Rule Remix) [Cheeky]
05. Team SR - 'Leaving London' [Five AM]
06. Angelic - 'Stay With Me' [serious]
07. No-One Driving - 'Playa Sol' [Pheonix Platinum]
08. Slipmatt - 'Space' (Ibiza Terrace Mix) [Concept Music]
09. The Lost Brothers - 'Cry Little Sister' [incentive]
10. Matt Darey ft. Marcella Woods - 'Beautiful 2002' (Pusler Remix) [incentive]
11. M1 - 'Heaven Sent' (Michael Woods Club Mix) [inferno]
12. System F - 'Needlejuice' [Tsunami]
13. Dirt Devils - 'Music Is Life' [NuLife]
14. Yomanda vs. DJ Uto - 'Kaminari' [You Clash!]
15. Candee Jay - 'If I Were You' (Michael Woods Remix) [incentive]
16. Ernesto vs. Bastian - 'Dark Side of the Moon' (Dogzilla's Pure Filth Remix) [High Contrast]
17. JDS - 'Nine Ways' (Darude vs. JS:16 Remix) [FFRR]
18. Radiohead - 'Street Spirit' (Tiesto Remix) [White Label]
19. Minimalistix - 'Struggle For Pleasure' (Rob Searle Remix) [Mostiko]
20. Symphony of Strings - 'Don't Want Your Love' (Connector Remix) [Liquid]
21. 2 Players - 'Signet' (G&M Project Remix) [Lost Language]

...And here is part 2!

Personally I am very pleased with how the second part came out and there are some real gems in this one. This second set is my favourite so please do check it out...

GBNF Part 2

01. Egyptian Empire - 'The Horn Track' (Luke Slater's Khufu Remix) [Missile]
02. Ernesto vs. Bastion - 'Lonely People' [Altitude]
03. Bobak vs. Dave Lambert - 'The Battle' [White Label]
04. Tomba Vira - 'The Sound Of Oh Yeah' (Oliver Klein Mix) [VC]
05. Warrior - 'Voodoo' (Oliver Lieb Mix) [incentive]
06. Terry Bones - 'Getaway' [Cases]
07. Kosheen - 'Catch' (Hiver & Hammer Remix) [Moksha]
08. Sunscream vs. Push - 'Please Save Me' [inferno]
09. Dumonde - 'Tomorrow' (DJ Jam X & De Leon Mix) [VC]
10. Airscape - 'Sosei' (Johan Gielen Mix) [iD&T]
11. Modulation - 'Sky' (K-System Remix) [superstar]
12. Ramirez - 'Hablando' (Push Remix) [bonzai]
13. Beat Pusher - 'Rokki' [Good:As]
14. VPL - 'The Bassline' [Closet]
15. Mat Silver vs. Tony Burt - 'Teardrops' (S.H.O.K.K Remix) [Above The Sky]
16. Nightlife - 'Pro Aggressive' (Donald & Giles Remix) [Liquid]
17. V-Three - 'Zuluu' [bonzai]
18. Jones & Stephenson - 'The First Re-birth' (Liquid Overdose Mix) [bonzai]
19. Tonca Boys - 'Meet Us At Tonca' (Choir Boys Remix) [Good:As]

First off, Nathan, it's absolutely astounding to see how fast you've turned this around already!

I really really appreciate you taking the time to not only whip this up, but have gone through all the motions and conversations for us to work this together.

As most of you know, I've whipped up my fair share of mixes on the classics front and seeming as Tremor has been on fire lately, wanted to share and give the opportunity to compile so tunes that are very dear to me from an era where Judge Jules was totally inspirational.

To have worked up this project with Tremor is a real honour and again wish to publicly thank him for being so awesome to colab and work with. We've been discussing this at length and really wanted to surprise you all with some real beauties since most of us all reminisce of the good times!

However, there were just so many to pick and chop down, so we ultimately decided to go for 2 x 2 hr sets and have them flow like proper structured sets!

Very very much looking forward to the 2nd part and are Tremor mentioned, there are not necessarily classical anthems in there of such, but just some quality belters from times gone by!

So glad that you enjoyed putting this together - I bet you've beenbehind the decks and thank you again for such a quality input.

I'm going to be blasted for this for sure and this is a great compliment to all classic collections - raving this for a long time to come - hope you all enjoy :)

No-One Driving - 'Playa Sol' [Pheonix Platinum]
???

Always difficult to assess, but once you've heard the original of this, which I think I first heard off Jules' Clubbed Summer Collection, it doesn't compare to the redone vocal!

Nathan, I'm on my second listen of this mix already and really really enjoying blasting this! I will post detailed feedback, however, just want to say that the mixing is bang on and you've done such a great job putting these together 1) in such a short timeframe, 2) mixing them all together especially considering you said you weren't familiar with them!

Oh the memory! Good times :)

I'm sure the second mix will equally rock!

Thanks for the feedback Aza. I did find it a bit of a strange challange to mix a selection of tunes where a fair amount of them although I'd heard of them have never owned them and been really familiar with them. It was definitely worth the hard work in my opinion. I will enjoy listening to this as well plus I love to hear tunes from years past which I may have missed at the time because there was so much good stuff out then.

If the tune Jason was referring to was 'Playa Sol' I have that on vinyl and mixed it in off the vinyl.

Looking forward to doing the second part now which I have pretty much got the tracklist nailed for and I think it contains some of the more obscure selections of the 2 sets. Certainly not obvious tracks that always get put in classics sets so I hope it will be a good one.

Yes, I supplied Aza with it after I bought it off Briggsy. AllI could think of was they redid the vocals because of sample clearence no doubt, this can ruin many a track!

I'm moaning about so many classics mixes, yet I may take a listen if I have tim a bit later :lol:

The redone vocal does not work IMO - although as I mentioned, this is only because I heard the original. For some who have not heard the initial version and then hear the redone vox, they may like it!

Jason'age, you've got to take a listen :) It's a great mix and not just any old classics mix. We've specially selected such tracks as it was circa this era that Jules was really firing out so many beautiful tracks. What's more, this was pure vinyl era and I recall how he used to be one of only a few select dj's to have pressings of any track.

I guess it's more reminisce again for me, but the tried and tested tracks from around this time seem to be way more meaningful and in terms of quality :)

This looks bloody fantastic, thanks Nath & Chris!

Btw Chris, get in touch man, not spoken to you in donkeys years! We have some talking to do, remember? :) Our little project....hush hush!! :)

I think it's a bit harsh to dismiss this mix, you can see from the tracklist that it's nowhere near the run of the mill 'Classics Mix' so you should give it a chance!

01. Soho - 'Flyin' Madness' (Flyin' Padmix) [b²]

I rememebr Jules playing this... my first thought was it is a blatent rip-off of Riva - Stringer!! Having said that, it is an awesome, awesome tune and a fantastic opening track sirs!

Really enjoyed this and looking forward to part II. :thumbsup:

Thanks Quadders - I have to say that track you mention I really do like. I even bought a copy on vinyl after receiving an MP3 from Aza because I liked it so much I wanted it in the collection.

You need wait no longer for part 2... it's now up and I hope you will enjoy it even more than the first one.

Wow. Well done to both of you. Obviously a lot of time and effort went into this. Cap well and trully doffed. Some amazing tunes it there.

If I'm honest, I much preferred the 2nd mix. Though the first was good, the second blew me away. Lots of tunes very reminiscent of the Clubbed cd series Jules did. Loads of forgotten gems.

Bravo!

Love both mixes here, especially the first actually.

Well-constructed and start and finish beautifully. I really enjoyed this sirs and the time you took in compiling them was worth every minute.

Knighted. -_-

• 9 months later...

I've been working on a few bits this weekend, got thinking about some of these tracks and thought, ah, I recall a very special project capturing all of these :)

Just want to dig this up for all to give Nathan another shout out on the mixing of these and say thanks again for working on this special project with me! Most, if not all of these tracks are all very dear to me in that I recall either the moment where I first heard Jules play it, or picked it up from one of his CD's/mix sets and gave it a good boshing myself!

btw, Tonca Boys track is really special, love that one!

I think it is with the exception of this track that Jules did not play (I may be wrong?), but instead have Mr Ferry Corsten and Trance Nation 4 to thank for making me aware of this tune...

Wow. Well done to both of you. Obviously a lot of time and effort went into this. Cap well and trully doffed. Some amazing tunes it there.

If I'm honest, I much preferred the 2nd mix. Though the first was good, the second blew me away. Lots of tunes very reminiscent of the Clubbed cd series Jules did. Loads of forgotten gems.

Bravo!

+ 1 on that - especially having just listened to the 2nd this afternoon :)

I never heard of that 'The Battle' track before until this mix, it's awesome, I love it :D very Jurgen Vries / Darren Tate esque! Excellent stuff.

This was a corker. I remember picking this up on a white. It's Dave Lambert - the chap behind the Gladiator track. Indeed, very nice track, plenty of synth and melody!

If any of you have not yet checked this out then I strongly urge you to do so :D

Edited by Aza

They are brilliant mixes - cheering me up when I'm home from work ill :(

The Judge Won't Budge on these 3 - so many associated memories of taping tracks like these from the radio.

10. Airscape - 'Sosei' (Johan Gielen Mix) [iD&T]

11. Modulation - 'Sky' (K-System Remix) [superstar]

12. Ramirez - 'Hablando' (Push Remix) [bonzai]

Btw does anyone else remember the Push Remix of Playa Sol...??

Brings back some memories here chaps - excellent work!

Mentioned 'Sosei' (without seeing this thread) yesterday in the Royal Wedding thread - haven't heard it for a while and still love that breakdown. Will be checking out :)