Mr Tristan D

Number2Fan

I don't like him, I'm not sure what his actual position or job title for Jules is, but I know that Jules' downturn seems to coincide with the appearance of 'Trissy'

Personally, I feel he's in it only for himself, and for some reason I just think he's up himself and untrustworthy.

Why do Jules and Amanda think he's the bees knees? Is he P.A he certainly can not be P.R because he'd deserve the sack for the P.R he's giving.

But if you want a tune played on Jules' show anytime, just lick Trissy's arse for a moment and I'm sure you'll get it played, especially if it's a bootleg, and a bootleg that Trissy wouldn't put in one of his own sets!!!

Always in tow, Mr Fatboy D, starting to annoy me, luckily I wont be seeing Jules very much, I happened to be at Global for other DJ's and acts, but as soon as Jules appears...

38277_1561256038108_1436522978_31495392_2793289_n.jpg

I would like your opinions on this!!

Judgeing by his consistency his DJ turns are only because of who he knows and not what he knows!!! :smirk:

He needs bringing down a peg or two!

Rob and I have noticed a sudden change recently. A few years back the two of us were getting music played on Jules show quite regularly then it just stopped ... it's a right bitch to achieve now so we don't bother adding Jules to our promo list anymore cos it never gets beyond Tristan

Sadly I think part of this is due to the fact that trance (and dance music in general) had moved on and reinvented itself over the past few years. Go back to the early 2000's and Jules was playing full on banging sets with energetic peak time trance, a bit of hard house here & there and the odd obscure techno track (BXR anyone?) thrown in for good measure. That's what everyone loved Jules for; his sets a complete mash up of all that was pumping. Dance music as a whole has moved on. Most straightforward trance these days is very samey and it's only once in a while (in my opinion) that a truely stand-out track is released. Go back to the early to mid 2000's and there was such an array of fantastic trance that it was hard to keep up. A lot of trance has also adopted a more progressive sound (what I like to call the "Arnej" sound). It's melodic and it's well produced but it just doesn't kick and personally I like my trance to kick. There's a lack of energy there, nothing that makes you want to move. Even artists (Cosmic Gate for example) who have produced some real hard-edged stuff over the years have moved over to the more progressive style. Techno has also gone all minimal on us which has taken tech trance the same way leaving tech trance & tech house virtually indistinguishable. Sure, there are artists like Peppelino producing the more banging side of techno but to my ears it all sounds the same. Likewise there are still a few producers producing the harder side of tech trance but with the exception of Mac & Taylor, BK, and a few others the rest of it just sounds like the sort of stuff that JOC and Bryan Kearney have been churning out for the past couple of years which doesn't give much variation. Hard trance has also changed. Virtually all of the hard trance I've heard over the past couple of years or so is that Steve Hill vs Technikal style tacky stuff which is, again, very samey. I think that partly Jules is just trying to move with the times. Granted, many of the J&T productions / bootlegs are utterly shocking (which supprises me since the past couple of Tristan D productions have been outstanding) and some of his track selection leaves a lot to be desired. Back in the day though Jules was famous for dropping these wacky & wonderful tracks that no one else was playing and I think that's what he's trying to do here but missing the mark by a country mile. I don't think Tristan is helping matters either and at times it does seem like he is in it for his own gain. Before the whole J&T thing I wouldn't have had a clue who the hell Tristan D was. I now, of course, know him to be a bad influence with a strance face. So yes Tristan doesn't seem good for Jules but at the same time even without him we wouldn't see the return of the Jules of old because dance music has simply moved on too far.

Essay over

• Like 1

Sadly I think part of this is due to the fact that trance (and dance music in general) had moved on and reinvented itself over the past few years. Go back to the early 2000's and Jules was playing full on banging sets with energetic peak time trance, a bit of hard house here & there and the odd obscure techno track (BXR anyone?) thrown in for good measure. That's what everyone loved Jules for; his sets a complete mash up of all that was pumping. Dance music as a whole has moved on. Most straightforward trance these days is very samey and it's only once in a while (in my opinion) that a truely stand-out track is released. Go back to the early to mid 2000's and there was such an array of fantastic trance that it was hard to keep up. A lot of trance has also adopted a more progressive sound (what I like to call the "Arnej" sound). It's melodic and it's well produced but it just doesn't kick and personally I like my trance to kick. There's a lack of energy there, nothing that makes you want to move. Even artists (Cosmic Gate for example) who have produced some real hard-edged stuff over the years have moved over to the more progressive style. Techno has also gone all minimal on us which has taken tech trance the same way leaving tech trance & tech house virtually indistinguishable. Sure, there are artists like Peppelino producing the more banging side of techno but to my ears it all sounds the same. Likewise there are still a few producers producing the harder side of tech trance but with the exception of Mac & Taylor, BK, and a few others the rest of it just sounds like the sort of stuff that JOC and Bryan Kearney have been churning out for the past couple of years which doesn't give much variation. Hard trance has also changed. Virtually all of the hard trance I've heard over the past couple of years or so is that Steve Hill vs Technikal style tacky stuff which is, again, very samey. I think that partly Jules is just trying to move with the times. Granted, many of the J&T productions / bootlegs are utterly shocking (which supprises me since the past couple of Tristan D productions have been outstanding) and some of his track selection leaves a lot to be desired. Back in the day though Jules was famous for dropping these wacky & wonderful tracks that no one else was playing and I think that's what he's trying to do here but missing the mark by a country mile. I don't think Tristan is helping matters either and at times it does seem like he is in it for his own gain. Before the whole J&T thing I wouldn't have had a clue who the hell Tristan D was. I now, of course, know him to be a bad influence with a strance face. So yes Tristan doesn't seem good for Jules but at the same time even without him we wouldn't see the return of the Jules of old because dance music has simply moved on too far.

Essay over

spot on trance / dance has changed / jules has always been a dj people love to hate ......

I think I'm done with trance now tho, I've heard it as good as it can get, I've heard a million trance Dj's play millions of trance tunes, and it is not getting better now, it just seems to be grasping at a time that has gone. The only trance tunes you hear people say they heard on a night out are already anthems in their own right, either remade or remixed to fit in, but essentially nobody's saying did you hear the third tune Oakey played, or when SvD dropped bliksem, it's only when they play Cafe del mar, or Ayla that people remember their set. Well I was there when those tunes were new and were memorable from the word go, a whole set of amazing new banging uplifting trance. Those days, (for me anyway) are gone.

I watched him do an electro set at Global at 4.30pm and it was spot on, random, slightly oddity of cheese thrown in, but pumping and very Julesified. I have to say i didn't even bother to go and see his large set in the GK massive marquee, I've heard some people raving about the other DJ's on in there with quotes like, " Your set was amazing and made Jules look amateur" and then Jules fans saying things like " well it's hard to DJ at 7.30pm before a crowd has got going " I think all of us know what's being got at there. Jules is no longer and probably never really was (in my eyes) a TRANCE DJ, yes he did play trance, but he's more of a fashion DJ and if he can whip in some pumping Dubstep/trance now instead weird shit chart bootlegs, he could pull it off.

As I say I never bothered going to see his BIG ROOM set, I really couldn't see the point, it would have only disappointed me.

I will never hate Jules, I do however feel a Hatred towards Tristan D!! :ph34r:

:whistling: that's almost uncomfortable!!

Jules is terrible and I'd say his days are numbered on radio 1. I hope he doesn't make the top 50 in the mix mag poll.

I think back to all the criticism of Dave Pearce and in my eyes Jules is now much worse. His tune selection is terrible and I think he rates himself a lot higher than he should. All that expensive free vodka must has fried his brain.

Jules is terrible and I'd say his days are numbered on radio 1. I hope he doesn't make the top 50 in the mix mag poll.

I think back to all the criticism of Dave Pearce and in my eyes Jules is now much worse. His tune selection is terrible and I think he rates himself a lot higher than he should. All that expensive free vodka must has fried his brain.

haha see this post then:

good thread, interesting comments

http://www.matthardwick.com/forums/showthread.php?t=34873

Yeah, times have changed, and I actually think he should go now, I probably wont listen to the person in his place, if indeed it's as clear cut as that.

Could do with a good DnB, Dubstep jockey now tbh. I've not been a fan of Radio one since about 1990 tbh tho, and only listened to Tong and Jules, mainly Julesy coz he was on Kiss when Kiss was good. Him joining radio one coincided with Kiss going downhill, a downhill turn that in fact I see Jules taking himself down, playing Tinie Tempah, Black eyed peas, J&T project, sometimes the actual radio edits!! Tong I would play simply coz he was on when I was getting ready to go out.

I think he's moved himself into this position on purpose tho, and is playing what he likes, and alot of people will grow old with him on that, many newcomers will actually be into the style he's playing now, and also he prob needs to calm off a bit, replacing his main income with what JS will bring in, and ( :rolleyes: ) perhaps hoping Amandas pop career will make it her turn. Excuse the pun. Luckily they're rich already, I can't see many other clubs booking her to do a PA! He's got a book to write also.

Pubs are open so late now, people are drinking more than they are taking dance music friendly drugs, thousands of people were inspired to DJ in the 90's and now we're over run with DJ's who'll do it alongside their regular jobs, for cheap and sometimes free locally.

Drum and Bass is having a second birth. And sounding good from it too.

I don't think it's sad now, I just think yeah, it's been over ten years since he was God, and there's no place for DJ gods now, been there, done that! :shifty:

I understand Tristan is also responsible for planning the layout on the Radio one shows now, including what goes into the final mixes!!!

What does Jules actually do for himself now? :confused:

If it aint Jules doing it, what's the point of him being there!!

Out of interest has anyone ever heard a mix set from Tristan D? I was just wondering if he plays them absolute dreadful J&T bootlegs also. I reckon Jules days on Radio 1 were numbered a long time ago. I rarely listen anymore. Some shocking tune selection judging by recent tracklists.

But sure Gareth Emery as a replacement (suggested on Matt Hardwick forum) would not best suit in my opinion. Gareth tends to play the same tunes in each of his sets, rather too predictable. Its a shame about his sets as he is a top notch producer. This point about Gareth has been raised recently on the Markus Schulz forum.

I personally think Jules done a guest mix for Markus to try and gain some respect among broader fans, as his mix was contained more trancier tunes rather that them disastrous bootlegs and dodgy tune selection of recent.

I cant understand how he lets Tristan D select his tunes for Radio 1, its a shame. He is hardly that busy or is he to do it himself?

gareth emery does play a broad music spectrum, from progressive, tech to peaktime trance, but i have to agree, he does play the same tunes week in week out i have to agree

the only people i could see, or who id want to see on radio 1, would be above & beyond

on the basis of 2 reasons, popularity & also 1 member of them is always available to host the show live.

gareth emery for example is quite a globe trotting dj, and most shows would be pre-recorded, where as above & beyond only ever dj live as a duo, not all 3 members meaning 1 of them could do a live show, i.e the member that stays at home.

However they have a big fan base with the syndicated trance around the world shows, so possibly could rule them out?

Andi durrant has been mentioned as the replacement, but he's not big household name, but has a big fan base on the galaxy network

i recently twitered him with the link to matt hardwick forum, asking if he's moving to bbc radio1, got this reply which you can read into how you want:

" @dj_iank Wow.. that's a lot of speculation! Obviously whether it's true or entirely wrong I couldn't comment on twitter though :) "

Out of interest has anyone ever heard a mix set from Tristan D? I was just wondering if he plays them absolute dreadful J&T bootlegs also. I reckon Jules days on Radio 1 were numbered a long time ago. I rarely listen anymore. Some shocking tune selection judging by recent tracklists.

I specifically saw Tristan D do a set alongside Dave Pearce, and Judge Jules and at that time Tristans set was the first one on and could easily have been picked as the best Hard Trance set, Daves was how you'd expect, and jules' was quite good that night, this year it was in a small Brighton venue. Tristan did not play anything even slightly commercial, or well known. His set was as Jules' should have been really. However I have heard that he can then in the next breath play a dire set, I have not seen him enough to say..

I specifically saw Tristan D do a set alongside Dave Pearce, and Judge Jules and at that time Tristans set was the first one on and could easily have been picked as the best Hard Trance set, Daves was how you'd expect, and jules' was quite good that night, this year it was in a small Brighton venue. Tristan did not play anything even slightly commercial, or well known. His set was as Jules' should have been really. However I have heard that he can then in the next breath play a dire set, I have not seen him enough to say..

He's also appeared on Tiesto's Club Life a few weeks ago, but not sure if this was for a guest mix.